• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

Other than Barcelona and maybe City I would agree.
But we are very very good ATM.
Liverpool going forward are like us dynamic.
City's midfielders are better in the final third, Silva and De Bruyn are the two reasons will win the league if you can narrow it down to two players.
The only simplified reasons Man U are around is de Gea and Chelsea it is Hazard.

Agree with that
Still think city vs a fully fit and in form Tottenham team is a very different game to the one in December, especially at Wembley in front of 83000 spurs fans (no one has got near us at Wembley in reality apart from maybe Dortmund)

City and Barca on paper are the best sides in Europe
No one mentions Bayern who had a very good result in their first leg and Madrid will now focus on the CL too and know us well

For what it’s worth I’m convinced if we get through this week we will get an English side next round

Well, since you seem to be basing your argument on stats, how about our 4-1 win at Wembley and 2-2 draw at their fortress Anfield? Does that not at least statistically suggest we have the upper hand over them?

That's usually been their argument every time we finish above them in the league.

There seems to be a bit of bad blood between Spurs and Liverpool (fans) of late. Mainly due to them still complaining about diving a month after our game. Spurs fans are often guilty of downplaying Liverpool, Liverpool fans think they are better than Barcelona, City and PSG combined.

Truth is there isn't a huge difference between the sides. Milo is correct imo, we have the better balance, in fact I think perhaps after City we have the best balanced first XI in the league and have this year strengthened our squad options too.

There always seems to be a lot of hype around Liverpool because they can on their day beat any side. Truth is they have a manager who is very effective at building sides who can topple the best on the one off occasions. The challenge for them has been can they replicate these results against the rest. So their style is very effective against sides who want the ball. They have certainly improved this season. The scary thing is they seem to be targeting the right types of players.

Van Dijk, Salah, Keita and possibly Allison (from Roma) indicate they are strengthening their weakest areas with very good players. They are linked to some very good passing midfielders now too.

But by the same admission, I think we are very strong. There is no point saying look at league now. Let's look at the end of the season. That's the only fair judgement, once we've all played the same teams.

I don’t
We have seen in the games this season how good we are against them
But anything can happen in cup games
The 4-1 game wouldn’t of happened had they had Van Dijk, I’m sure of that. And they didnt have Mane or Lallana. But anyway, I hope you’re right mate....

There seems to be a bit of bad blood between Spurs and Liverpool (fans) of late. Mainly due to them still complaining about diving a month after our game. Spurs fans are often guilty of downplaying Liverpool, Liverpool fans think they are better than Barcelona, City and PSG combined.

Truth is there isn't a huge difference between the sides. Milo is correct imo, we have the better balance, in fact I think perhaps after City we have the best balanced first XI in the league and have this year strengthened our squad options too.

There always seems to be a lot of hype around Liverpool because they can on their day beat any side. Truth is they have a manager who is very effective at building sides who can topple the best on the one off occasions. The challenge for them has been can they replicate these results against the rest. So their style is very effective against sides who want the ball. They have certainly improved this season. The scary thing is they seem to be targeting the right types of players.

Van Dijk, Salah, Keita and possibly Allison (from Roma) indicate they are strengthening their weakest areas with very good players. They are linked to some very good passing midfielders now too.

But by the same admission, I think we are very strong. There is no point saying look at league now. Let's look at the end of the season. That's the only fair judgement, once we've all played the same teams.
A good summary Diego. I would say though that the bad blood vs Liverpool came well before this month. It began when we started to break into the top 4/5, a position they believe is rightfully theirs and they were nowhere near....

We outplayed them in the second half at Anfield, but I'd argue that we have struggled against the lesser teams more than them.

They are guaranteed to score goals right now, are we? I'd argue not.

The 4-1 game wouldn’t of happened had they had Van Dijk, I’m sure of that. And they didnt have Mane or Lallana. But anyway, I hope you’re right mate....

The same Van Dijk who has generally been gash against us every game he has played ??

He had his best game vs us at Anfield and still have away a penalty

He struggles on bigger pitches IMO

Sorry but I’m not buying this played the whole season away from home thing - I mean obviously factually we have, but we have made it our home. We’ve lost once there, against Chelsea opening game all season. Our record wouldn’t of been much better if at all had we played at WHL. Individually I think we are better than them yes I agree, but it’s about how you play as a team - both managers will tell you that. We have conceded 8 less than them, and they’ve scored 12 more than us and have been ahead of us for most of the season even when their defence was actually poor so as a team they are doing just as well, if not slightly better than us somehow....

I think that just goes to show how well we’ve coped with Wembley.

At WHL last season we won 17 if 19, drawing the other two. As good as our results have been at Wembley we’re not at that level.

Sure, we’ve had some injuries but we did last year too.

I think it’s plain that playing at Wembley has had a (slightly) negative effect on results.

The fact it has been slight is massive credit Poch.

The same Van Dijk who has generally been gash against us every game he has played ??

He had his best game vs us at Anfield and still have away a penalty

He struggles on bigger pitches IMO
Well let’s see, maybe you’re right about him being poor vs us but his job will be made easier being a defender for a top club anyway. He’s made Liverpool’s defence as a whole more stable, and now Klopp has been decisive and gone with Karius as their keeper there doesn’t seem to be the panic in their defence as a whole. I just don’t envisage us running riot against them at Wembley again now they have shored things up somewhat....

Well let’s see, maybe you’re right about him being poor vs us but his job will be made easier being a defender for a top club anyway. He’s made Liverpool’s defence as a whole more stable, and now Klopp has been decisive and gone with Karius as their keeper there doesn’t seem to be the panic in their defence as a whole. I just don’t envisage us running riot against them at Wembley again now they have shored things up somewhat....

There not conceding anymore or less with him in I believe statistically

But then they haven’t played any decent sides with him playing other than us so we will see what impact he has

I think that just goes to show how well we’ve coped with Wembley.

At WHL last season we won 17 if 19, drawing the other two. As good as our results have been at Wembley we’re not at that level.

Sure, we’ve had some injuries but we did last year too.

I think it’s plain that playing at Wembley has had a (slightly) negative effect on results.

The fact it has been slight is massive credit Poch.
What makes you think we would have won 17 out of 19 this season? Last seasons home record was ridiculously good, but it was also our last at WHL which definitely helped us motivational wise. We have beaten most teams, dropped points against a couple of lesser teams and lost to Chelsea. Even at our spiritual home our record would never of been much better than that...

There not conceding anymore or less with him in I believe statistically

But then they haven’t played any decent sides with him playing other than us so we will see what impact he has
Maybe I’m over stating his specific impact if that’s the case then! But for whatever reason, their defence is now more solid, we all knew their defence was rubbish leading up to the game at Wembley. I don’t have that same feeling now. Not that I don’t think we can get at them, the away game showed that we can. But it would be a much tighter affair....

Maybe I’m over stating his specific impact if that’s the case then! But for whatever reason, their defence is now more solid, we all knew their defence was rubbish leading up to the game at Wembley. I don’t have that same feeling now. Not that I don’t think we can get at them, the away game showed that we can. But it would be a much tighter affair....

I honestly don’t think much has changed with their defence... they just haven’t really been tested and their playing well. Their not mugs

In fact the player who has made a big difference (contradicting myself now) is Robertson at left back. Really really good player and miles more switched on than Moreno

not arguing with that, just highlighting the table don’t always reflect the teams that have the most goals for and least against

It’s about wins

Teams can smash sides or win 1 nil... you get no more points for that

Chelsea and Leicester won the league with plenty of one goal margins

This Liverpool team still reminds of the Suarez one in that the can hammer sides and score but still dont appear to have a strong enough spine to win the league. In Europe in a cup though who knows...

I’d back us over two legs against anyone as we can score goals but also keep the discipline defensively

I’d be weary of playing them in the CL personally. Yes at Wembley with 80,000 fans behind us we can be a match for anyone but Liverpool are also capable of scoring goals very quickly against anyone. We conceded two quick goals against Juve and the bottler Higuain and could have been out of the tie by half time. Liverpool arguably have better attackers then Juve. I know it’s a cliche but Liverpool at Anfield on a European night is still a daunting prospect.

I wouldn’t want to play any English team in the CL this year if we get past Juve.

Last edited:

Spot on DM. On paper I believe we have a better, more balanced side this season but Liverpool are above us on merit this season so far. I think they’ll finish 2nd but wouldn’t be shocked if we overtook them either. Yes I accept they are still somewhat suspect in defence and their keepers are erratic at best but when you score the amount of goals they do it can mask a lot of problems. It’s not unthinkable that they could score 3 or 4 against anyone and play out of their skins defensively in a one off or two legged cup game, even if it’s not sustainable over a season.

I’d be weary of playing them in the CL personally. Yes at Wembley with 80,000 fans behind us we can be a match for anyone but Liverpool are also capable of scoring goals very quickly against anyone. We conceded two quick goals against Juve and the bottler Higuain and could have been out of the tie by half time. Liverpool arguably have better attackers then Juve. I know it’s a cliche but Liverpool at Anfield on a European night is still a daunting prospect.

I wouldn’t want to play any English team in the CL this year if we get past Juve.

I’ve been there on a European night and many spurs games too

It’s massively over rated and on par with old Trafford for never living up to the hype

Liverpool might have better attackers than Juve (hard to quantify) but Juve have a mile better midfield and defence

I’ve been there on a European night and many spurs games too

It’s massively over rated and on par with old Trafford for never living up to the hype

Liverpool might have better attackers than Juve (hard to quantify) but Juve have a mile better midfield and defence

Juve are top brass, leich will be back along with dybala etc. We will do well to go through

Agree with that
Still think city vs a fully fit and in form Tottenham team is a very different game to the one in December, especially at Wembley in front of 83000 spurs fans (no one has got near us at Wembley in reality apart from maybe Dortmund)

City and Barca on paper are the best sides in Europe
No one mentions Bayern who had a very good result in their first leg and Madrid will now focus on the CL too and know us well

For what it’s worth I’m convinced if we get through this week we will get an English side next round

Same here, and nailed on it will be Liverpool

Back