• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2017/18

Well, I'm a bit less upset now. We've already beaten Real, so it wouldn't have been as interesting, although it would be interesting to see how we would have dealt with them in a knockout phase and now that they are more on form than they were when we played them. Had Juve drawn Barca or Bayern, I would be royally tinkled that we would miss out on pitting our team against one of those two.

Well, I'm a bit less upset now. We've already beaten Real, so it wouldn't have been as interesting, although it would be interesting to see how we would have dealt with them in a knockout phase and now that they are more on form than they were when we played them. Had Juve drawn Barca or Bayern, I would be royally tinkled that we would miss out on pitting our team against one of those two.

Not sure we would have overcome Real Madrid in the Quarter finals if we had overcome Juventus in Round of 16. Before we even think about winning a trophy in Europe, we need to improve our home record in the knockout stages in Europe. Out of our 17 knockout matches at home in Europe since 2006, we have only won 5, drawn 7 and lost 5. In fact, of our last 6 knockout stage matches in Europe since 2014, we have only won 1(Fiorentina 2016), drawn 2(Fiorentina 2015, Gent 2017) and lost 3(Benfica 2014,Dortmund 2016, Juventus 2018). With such a poor record at home, no wonder we don't progress very far in Europe in recent years.

Not sure we would have overcome Real Madrid in the Quarter finals if we had overcome Juventus in Round of 16. Before we even think about winning a trophy in Europe, we need to improve our home record in the knockout stages in Europe. Out of our 17 knockout matches at home in Europe since 2006, we have only won 5, drawn 7 and lost 5. In fact, of our last 6 knockout stage matches in Europe since 2014, we have only won 1(Fiorentina 2016), drawn 2(Fiorentina 2015, Gent 2017) and lost 3(Benfica 2014,Dortmund 2016, Juventus 2018). With such a poor record at home, no wonder we don't progress very far in Europe in recent years.
What does 2006, or even last year have to do with this year? Have you seen our performances this year and how we did in the group stage??

What does 2006, or even last year have to do with this year? Have you seen our performances this year and how we did in the group stage??

It does go back a bit far, but still a decent point imo -- gotta make the home stadium a fortress to consistently do well in Europe and the League. We did that so well last season, it's how we got so many points (a title winning haul of points in a fair few of the seasons past). Hopefully we will do that at the new stadium too. It's like Chielini said, "the history is important." We want teams coming to the new stadium thinking "phuck me, slim chance we are winning here." Like we might feel if we went to Camp Nou, Bernabeu etc. I think we will have that with this team.

PF-loadsamoney_2177214b.jpg

Back