• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2015/16

Let me guess, clubs from the top 3 leagues should get more points for a win?

no, but the first change i would make is to make coefficient points gained from the europa league less valuable (compared to those gained via the cl).

the sponsorship would leave with them though right?

who wants to watch the uefa European cup if Madrid, Munich and Man Utd are not in it?

correct. theres already a continental competition organised by uefa without those teams. its called the europa league. and no-one watches it, or sponsors it.

if/when the super league happens, uefa/fifa/local fa's will do everything to keep themselves relevant. just like they do today, when they pander to the needs of the big clubs.

those footballing bodies arent the attraction. people dont watch football competitions because its organised by uefa or fifa. they watch it because these competitions have the best teams competing in them. viewers will follow where the best teams compete.

Most people watch competitions because THEIR team is in it. There's a good reason I don't watch any other league than the PL (plus the occasionally the Norwegian league or the Championship) and no CL games at all. If it doesn't relate to Tottenham it bores me. Take away the money bags and we'd have fun and interesting competitions again that people would care more about now that their sides have a better chance of doing well.

no, but the first change i would make is to make coefficient points gained from the europa league less valuable (compared to those gained via the cl).

They already are. If anything they should be equal as the rules now massively favours the rich also-rans over champions from slightly lesser leagues.

the sponsorship would leave with them though right?

who wants to watch the uefa European cup if Madrid, Munich and Man Utd are not in it?

I do. fudge sponsorship money. Make it the champions of the top 16 leagues, top 8 cup winners and a qualifying for the last 8 spots or something similar. Making football be about football again.

I do. fudge sponsorship money. Make it the champions of the top 16 leagues, top 8 cup winners and a qualifying for the last 8 spots or something similar.

I'd watch that as well, assuming their wasn't some other ESL that had all the big clubs and this was PL winners Hull against La Liga winners Castilla

at the end of the day (other than spurs) I want to watch the best players

it would be like when the darts split, the BDO still have the name and a full set of record books, but everyone knows who the real world champion is every year

Most people watch competitions because THEIR team is in team. There's a good reason I don't watch any other league than the PL (plus the occasionally the Norwegian league or the Championship) and no CL games at all. If it doesn't relate to Tottenham it bores me.

i dont think this is neccessarily true. and i think that over time people become fans of the best teams (domestically and globally). look at chelsea, they have a massive following abroad now. no doubt Emirates Marketing Project will too in a decades time. other than them, liverpool, arsenal and utd probably have the biggest global followings in england. basically all the succesfull teams that had the best players playing for them. i think it shows people are glory hunters at heart.

Take away the money bags and we'd have fun and interesting competitions again that people would care more about now that their sides have a better chance of doing well.

i agree that we'd have a fun and interesting competition. but the competition would lose its global appeal and viewership. as a competition, it'd be like the championship. me and you would obviously have no real problem with this. but the global audience only follows the best, and as a competition, we would lose them. in the same way, for other sporting events (other than football) we only follow the best too. ie. for tennis, do you watch anyone other than fed, nadal, djo, murray? and in the same way, people who never watch boxing will be watching paquiao vs mayweather. because it is the best competing against each other.

that's a good point, 30 years ago you couldn't find two Chelsea fans to rub together, now they are everywhere

People would soon get bored if the same teams were playing each other over and over ad nauseam. I used to be an avid watcher of the CL but could take or leave it now as it is the same brick every year mostly. The super league would be a fad for a while but I'm guessing it would become repetitive fairly quickly.

I'd love watching a competition where Spurs have a realistic chance of winning. Global appeal matters fudge all to my experience as a Spurs fan. A billion glory hunters prefer watching Real take on Bayern for the tenth season in a row? Suits me fine. The World Cup used to be what you watched for the best players. If one is really keen on seeing Barca or Real play there is always the Spanish league. The European cup should be about the best teams from all leagues, not just the 16 richest clubs.

Should the US or Russia or anyone get several teams in the Davis cup because they have more top tennis players than smaller nations?

I will not be watching Paquaio vs Mayweather because it's all about the money, it's going to be a big letdown and there's no way Mayweather will be allowed to lose. That's pretty much what this Super League would be too. A guarantee for the richest clubs to always be in it to make more money. Wonder if they'll have trophies for everyone at the end of the season.

People would soon get bored if the same teams were playing each other over and over ad nauseam. I used to be an avid watcher of the CL but could take or leave it now as it is the same crud every year mostly. The super league would be a fad for a while but I'm guessing it would become repetitive fairly quickly.

maybe, but I'm not bored of the CL or Sky Super Sunday yet

I'd love watching a competition where Spurs have a realistic chance of winning. Global appeal matters fudge all to my experience as a Spurs fan. A billion glory hunters prefer watching Real take on Bayern for the tenth season in a row? Suits me fine. The World Cup used to be what you watched for the best players. If one is really keen on seeing Barca or Real play there is always the Spanish league. The European cup should be about the best teams from all leagues, not just the 16 richest clubs.

Should the US or Russia or anyone get several teams in the Davis cup because they have more top tennis players than smaller nations?

I will not be watching Paquaio vs Mayweather because it's all about the money, it's going to be a big letdown and there's no way Mayweather will be allowed to lose. That's pretty much what this Super League would be too. A guarantee for the richest clubs to always be in it to make more money. Wonder if they'll have trophies for everyone at the end of the season.

I get that, it's spurs first for me too, but we only play twice a week at most, I'm gonna watch more football than that, other than us I want to watch the elite

I get that, it's spurs first for me too, but we only play twice a week at most, I'm gonna watch more football than that, other than us I want to watch the elite

I watched more football before we were being forced to watch the same match ups every season. There was much less coverage back then as well. Probably made things more interesting, because being force fed the same tripe on a daily basis is boring.

I'd love watching a competition where Spurs have a realistic chance of winning. Global appeal matters fudge all to my experience as a Spurs fan. A billion glory hunters prefer watching Real take on Bayern for the tenth season in a row? Suits me fine. The World Cup used to be what you watched for the best players.

and thats why the worldcup used to be the creme de la creme of football competitions. bar none.

however the ucl does a better job of pitting the best players against each other than the worldcup now. and a super league would do this even better.

If one is really keen on seeing Barca or Real play there is always the Spanish league. The European cup should be about the best teams from all leagues, not just the 16 richest clubs.

What about if one is really keen on seeing Barca or Real play, but is not so keen to watch an Osasuna? And what about if the European cup was about the best teams from all leagues ? I think thats what the world really wants to see.

it would probably make the davis cup more attractive (viewership numbers) if they did let that happen.

I will not be watching Paquaio vs Mayweather because it's all about the money, it's going to be a big letdown and there's no way Mayweather will be allowed to lose. That's pretty much what this Super League would be too.

who are you kidding, you know deep down that you will be watching it somehow ;)
A guarantee for the richest clubs to always be in it to make more money. Wonder if they'll have trophies for everyone at the end of the season.

a lot of them dont make money. thats why they are the best. they spend to win.

I watched more football before we were being forced to watch the same match ups every season. There was much less coverage back then as well. Probably made things more interesting, because being force fed the same tripe on a daily basis is boring.

it's not all tripe though is it, some of its magnificent

I think thats what the world really wants to see

No, that's what we've been brainwashed to think we want to see. It's not as if the old format didn't get any attention. Real - Bayern was a big deal back then, now it's all just meh.

it would probably make the davis cup more attractive (viewership numbers) if they did let that happen.

It would also massively devalue it as a competition.

who are you kidding, you know deep down that you will be watching it somehow ;)

I will actually make the utmost of effort to avoid it. Pro boxing is all about the rich getting richer and in the end the best fighters don't win. I watched some of the Olympic boxing, but I generally only watch one or two boxing matches a year and they tend to be Cecilia Brækhus. She's Norwegian,obviously, and she's actually pretty damn good. In both instances: Less hype and better fights.

a lot of them dont make money. thats why they are the best. they spend to win.

If they let others have a bite of that money then we'd get a better competition in every way.

it's not all tripe though is it, some of its magnificent

You'd still see these players if you watched the Spanish league. Used to be a time when teams like Valencia, Sevilla, Deportivo et al could actually compete with Real and Barca.

If they let others have a bite of that money then we'd get a better competition in every way.

but then we wouldnt be seeing the best vs the best anymore.

and in cases like psg, chelsea and city, its not money earnt through football that they are investing. its the investor's own personal money.

No, that's what we've been brainwashed to think we want to see. It's not as if the old format didn't get any attention. Real - Bayern was a big deal back then, now it's all just meh.

surely you agree that as a global event, its much much bigger and better now

Back