• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2014/15

Absolute paranoia, bloody hell.

The truth is, there is a sense of apathy towards the Champions League. Our fans just prefer the Premier League over a competition which strongly favours a certain set of clubs which we will never be part of. From talking with other fans, it's a view that I share: I would prioritise the Premier League over the Champions League at the start of any season.

A number of fans feel wronged by the refereeing decisions which go against us in the competition too - and we have been unlucky in that regard to be honest. Yesterday we should have had another penalty, against Bayern we possibly could have had one just before Boateng smashed in a beauty. When we went out to Barca, fans were angered by contentious decisions. They feel it's corrupt, but its the kind of siege mentality which we have created for ourselves and is part of our problem, but that's way besides the point.

On the expansion thing: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showth...s-Thread?p=512930&highlight=expand#post512930

Did everybody imagine the 10% of empty seats for a glamour game against Roma then ????

or the fact you are saying your fans arent no going because of refereeing decisions, thats a quality one that

Last edited:
Did everybody imagine the 10% of empty seats for a glamour game against Roma then ????

or the fact you are saying your fans arent no going because of refereeing decisions, thats a quality one that

No, of course not. The paranoia bit was in reference to somebody saying we're expanding as a way of circumventing FFP regulations, hahaha. That's definitely a new one you've come up with, I thought I'd heard them all. Anyway the main point of my post was that a section of our fans don't care about the Champions League enough. What reason would you give for 5,000 fans who turn up for league games not attending midweek ones?

No, of course not. The paranoia bit was in reference to somebody saying we're expanding as a way of circumventing FFP regulations, hahaha. That's definitely a new one you've come up with, I thought I'd heard them all. Anyway the main point of my post was that a section of our fans don't care about the Champions League enough. What reason would you give for 5,000 fans who turn up for league games not attending midweek ones?[/QUOTE]

There is always swathes of empty seats at the Ethihad mate, and 10% is a large %'age of your hardcord who dont care about a massive competition, strange psyche

No, of course not. The paranoia bit was in reference to somebody saying we're expanding as a way of circumventing FFP regulations, hahaha. That's definitely a new one you've come up with, I thought I'd heard them all. Anyway the main point of my post was that a section of our fans don't care about the Champions League enough. What reason would you give for 5,000 fans who turn up for league games not attending midweek ones?

I was joking when I said this. It's hard to portray sarcasm on screen. It was a theory I saw this week about Chelsea who are desperate to expand Stamford Bridge and someone wrote a rather poor article to say FFP was the reason why, they could "juke the stats" (one for fans of The Wire) as to how many people are there to spend more.

And also the post about certain clubs being favoured, I completely disagree with that. We have had one season in the Champions League and managed to get to the quarters, beating two previous winners on the way. There was no conspiracy theory then.

And if the theory is based on UEFA not liking City for spending money, (which I am taking a leap in assuming is the basis of the theory) then why would there be no prejudice against Chelsea, or PSG?

Sounds as if the new wave City fan doesn't like to see the team lose when faced with better opposition

so its possible now that both City and Liverpool will drop into the EL.....i can just imagine Liverpool finishing outside the top 4 and winning the EL and thus qualifying for the CL, spawny gits

Phil Thompson believes Liverpool will win the first of their daunting Champions League double-header against Real Madrid.

Brendan Rodgers' side lie third in Group B following Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat to Basel, a result that came off the back of a last-minute win at home to lowly Ludogorets in their opening fixture.

The reigning champions of Europe will visit Anfield on October 22, live on Sky Sports, and Thompson thinks that his former team can defeat the Spanish giants, despite their poor form.

“Real Madrid will be completely different [to Basel],” Thompson told Sky Sports News HQ

“Liverpool will be the underdogs and that’s what Basel were on Wednesday. So many teams go there and think ‘yes we should be winning this’.

"The atmosphere was fantastic at Basel and they always turn it on against the English teams so you could say it’s no surprise because they play that way – they love that tag as the underdogs. It will be a little bit like that when Real come to Anfield.

Steven Gerrard has questioned Liverpool's passion after their Champions League defeat.

“It’s going to be a sensational night at Anfield for the first Real Madrid game. They will up the ante, the players. Everybody will be up for it and they’ll make it difficult for Real.

“Liverpool will win that game. Absolutely, it happens, it’s at Anfield. It will be an incredible night, they’ll turn it on, crank up the pressure and it will be totally different.”

Swiss shock

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard accused his side of being "soft all over the pitch" after the defeat and said the players will analyse their mistakes in the next few days.

And Thompson conceded that Liverpool must drastically improve if they are to challenge for honours this season.

The Sky Sports panel discuss Liverpool's defending from set pieces

“Generally, Steven Gerrard got it spot on, and it’s awful when you have to admit to everybody – they wanted it more than we did. And that was certainly the case last night,” the Sky Sports pundit said.

“Another set-piece goal that we’ve conceded. It’s come off the back of Martin Skrtel’s head and hit Dejan Lovren.

“It’s a collective thing, it’s not just the defenders because everybody has to take responsibility at corners. But it’s happened too often. The defence has not got confidence in the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper has not got confidence in the back four.

Brendan Rodgers admits he was frustrated with Liverpool's defending .

“Basel had four in midfield, Serey Die was unbelievable – he chased and harried everybody. They had willing runners to get forward and help Marco Streller who was the only one up front. That’s why the stats that they covered more distance are no surprise.

“It was great planning. They wanted it more, they passed the ball better. You look at the pitch and think it’s poor so Liverpool couldn’t pass it very well – Basel could. They were doing all things better than Liverpool in all departme

So Phil Thompson is claiming Aston Villa can win at Anfield, but current European Champions Real Madrid can't?

The fact that he is paid, what I imagine is a high salary, to give reasoned, rational opinion makes me question capitalism

He used to visit TV2 Norway doing some "expert" jobs. One of the jobs he did was during the match we played against Liverpool (2012?) - when Adam were close to killing Bale with a horrendous tackle. After the game Thompson then said it was unbelivable that people talked about that tackle should've been a red card. He was rambling about "what's the game became, that was a perfectly good tackle". I even got some stick from the TV2 boss on Facebook (worked as a boss in my newspaper earlier) later in the night when I mentioned it. When you hire high profile people you have to believe they could handle themselves - not being totally in favour of the team everybody know he's being playing for...

so its possible now that both City and Liverpool will drop into the EL.....i can just imagine Liverpool finishing outside the top 4 and winning the EL and thus qualifying for the CL, spawny gits

both will have to get used to the thursday - sunday schedule that would disadvantage them in the epl which might open up another slot in the top 4 to contest

both will have to get used to the thursday - sunday schedule that would disadvantage them in the epl which might open up another slot in the top 4 to contest

so what would happen if Liverpool or City finish in the top 4 and also win the EL....anybody?

Back