• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cash in hand.......morally wrong?

There are plenty of tradesmen out there who pay their taxes and don't take cash yet don't Turnover the required amount to be vat registered? I would still happily use them are you saying you think that's morally wrong?

I doubt very much he is saying that is morally wrong.

It is wrong

You'll find the same hypocrites up and down the land, moaning about eastern Europeans taking their jobs

The same fudgewits are paid cash in hand, but will not think twice about using the hospitals, NHS dentists and other public services

The majority of people paid cash in hand are extremely unlikely to be net contributors to this country

Therefore, they have about as much right to be here, as the millions that Labour encouraged to flood the Island in order to win votes

Most tradesman cannot be trusted to declare earnings

So I would simply make it illegal to pay somebody unless they provide you with a VAT receipt and invoice

generally agree with this, however the Govt need to look at measures to;
a) reduce the cost of living
and
b) re align peoples expectations of "essentials"

Trying to create a moral police when the majority of people know how tough (thats tough in context of course) it is to make a living at the mo is a silly idea IMO

Sacking a gardener because he doesn't earn enough to be VAT registered seems a bit harsh.

So no it's not morally wrong as they shouldn't be paying it I see. I'm very much the same as you don't pay cash to any tradesmen mostly down to I think it's morally unacceptable but also I don't think a tradesmen who's willing to take it is going to be worth the hassle and probably not do a decent job(just my opinion). Do agree it's morally wrong cash in hand but then I've downloaded quite a few British films recently films that had I bought on DVD in a shop the film company and shop itself would have received my money and paid tax in Britain so I'd be a complete hypocrite if i criticised others

generally agree with this, however the Govt need to look at measures to;
a) reduce the cost of living
and
b) re align peoples expectations of "essentials"

Trying to create a moral police when the majority of people know how tough (thats tough in context of course) it is to make a living at the mo is a silly idea IMO

No one is trying to create a moral police, they are asking people to stop being hypocrits and think about what they are doing.

As far as reducing the cost of living? How?

Inflation is global, comodities are, fuel is....what can the government do?

Because every **** out there thinks they are a special case fuel duty is the most reliable tax out there.....it can't be avoided.

So no it's not morally wrong as they shouldn't be paying it I see. I'm very much the same as you don't pay cash to any tradesmen mostly down to I think it's morally unacceptable but also I don't think a tradesmen who's willing to take it is going to be worth the hassle and probably not do a decent job(just my opinion). Do agree it's morally wrong cash in hand but then I've downloaded quite a few British films recently films that had I bought on DVD in a shop the film company and shop itself would have received my money and paid tax in Britain so I'd be a complete hypocrite if i criticised others

That's the point. And I've done it in the past as well!!

The point is with the whole debate about evasion and the rich etc....people need to realise they are part of the problem as well.

Considering how much tax revenue is lost due to places like Cayman Islands, it's a wonder the US haven't bombed the fudge out of them yet.

Considering how much tax revenue is lost due to places like Cayman Islands, it's a wonder the US haven't bombed the fudge out of them yet.

We need a line in the sand, full trade embargoes....no fuel, water, food, NOTHING until you give up all the bank accounts.

From the consumer point of view there is nothing wrong with cash in hand, but if the person taking it isn't declaring taxable income then it's an issue.

How do you feel about salary sacrifice? Is that tax avoidance too? At my Uni staff have a salary sacrifice scheme so they have the fee for parking taken out of their income rather than have it paid after tax, thus saving a few bob and taking a small amount from the taxmans hands. Personally that is something I have no problem with, so I don't think theres a definitive answer.

Agreed it is abolutly not just the rich who are tax evaders, I imagine most market traders will be avoiding a little tax here and there

if a gardener is not VAT registered then surely he isn't claiming back the VAT on lawnmowers and hoes, swings and roundabouts

not that this rights the wrong but it should be considered

the government shouldn't rely on people being moral, the laws should be loophole free

if a gardener is not VAT registered then surely he isn't claiming back the VAT on lawnmowers and hoes, swings and roundabouts

not that this rights the wrong but it should be considered

the government shouldn't rely on people being moral, the laws should be loophole free

He won't be.

Won't stop him charging £100 for a job, that a VAT registered gardener would charge £100 for though

I think this minister is trying to make a name for himself and appeasing the super rich who fund the Tories.
I wonder how much he is hiding via various tax avoidance schemes?

Why would you want a VAT invoice for a gardner? are you claiming the VAT back from this?

No, although I could.

I wanted an invoice to try and ensure the money is going through his books, so it's declared income and subject to taxes.

Back