• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

Do you think they are?

I think only 3 or 4 the current EPL clubs have been in the same hands longer than 14 years. They've already been in it for the long term.

Levy also sold his 100-year old family business (Blue Inc) a few years ago so he could dedicate himself to the owning the club. His wife is an employee of nearly 20 years standing and his son seems to be becoming his right-hand-man. I would say you don't get much longer term than that.

I think only 3 or 4 the current EPL clubs have been in the same hands longer than 14 years. They've already been in it for the long term.

Levy also sold his 100-year old family business (Blue Inc) a few years ago so he could dedicate himself to the owning the club. His wife is an employee of nearly 20 years standing and his son seems to be becoming his right-hand-man. I would say you don't get much longer term than that.

Long term in the sense that they won't do one after the stadium is built?

Long term in the sense that they won't do one after the stadium is built?

So Levy will have spent the prime of his career (age 38-56) on a project, and won't sit back and reap the rewards when it's finally on the cusp of being realised?

What's he going to do - go and build gold courses in America as a second tier Tavistock director? Especially now Blue Inc has gone, I think the club has become very personal to him.

Others have covered how ENIC's shares are divided. But we shouldn't forget that ENIC don't, as yet, own 100% of THFC.

At last count, ENIC owned some 85-90% of THFC. The remainder is owned by a small number with relatively big shareholdings and by thousands of fans with very small shareholdings.

However, as per the announcement in March (as part of the financial report), ENIC has recently invested a further £40m in the club - initially a loan, I think, but eventually to be converted into equity. And, if that equity is in the form of shares with voting rights (I'm making the assumption that it will be), that would take their relevant shareholding through the 90% threshold. That having been done, ENIC would be able to enforce a compulsory purchase of all shares that they did not already own (known as a a squeeze-out), should they so choose.

If they did that, Levy would not get out of White Hart Lane walking IMO.

If they did that, Levy would not get out of White Hart Lane walking IMO.

They are actually no use to people. Since the company was delisted, there's no liquidity in them. They are just like deposits in a bank which never gain interest - in fact they are slowly depreciating (esp as ENIC keep issuing and then buying more shares - like this latest £40m - therefore devaluing them). They are just sentimental attachments.

They are actually no use to people. Since the company was delisted, there's no liquidity in them. They are just like deposits in a bank which never gain interest - in fact they are slowly depreciating (esp as ENIC keep issuing and then buying more shares - like this latest £40m - therefore devaluing them). They are just sentimental attachments.

They haven't done anything with the 40m though to lessen the value. Besides its my belief that the 40m has paid of the land Tottenham have been purchasing whilst the land is being passed to a company owned by someone in the Bahamas. Wonder who that might be.

But they don't have to go that route.. if they want to upset hundreds of Tottenham fans then they should continue. I doubt they will want to do that.

Last edited:

They haven't done anything with the 40m though to lessen the value. Besides its my belief that the 40m has paid of the land Tottenham have been purchasing whilst the land is being passed to a company owned by someone in the Bahamas. Wonder who that might me.

But they don't have to go that route.. if they want to upset hundreds of Tottenham fans then they should continue. I doubt they will want to do that.

Jimmy used the key phrase a few posts up - the £40m is a 'loan that will be converted into equity'. So the club won't pay ENIC back the £40m, instead ENIC will award itself more shares.

So say the fans' 2% of 100 shares becomes 1.6% of 120 shares, if say ENIC award themselves 20 shares for their £40m. They've already done this 2 or 3 times, which is how they've acquired the club (aside from buying Sugar's share).

I agree what your saying but they at the end of it all they will not be worth nothing which its seems you are alluding too. 10% of the company will not suddenly move to Enic without them paying for them.

Regarding the compulsory purchase of the shares, yes they would be able to do that, but I am sure they couldn't then say they are worth 1p each. I'd imagine someone from outside would need to value the shares would they not.

Last edited:

would love this..wont happen though

Those that think a new owner will solve everything are in for a shock IMO.

Firstly, under FFP you can't just throw money at it till it works any more. Improvement will have to come through organic growth. Guess what, we are already doing very well on that account. We just happen to be at limits of what is currently achievable with our revenue.

If someone do happen to have 1 billion lying around or even just a measly 600 million, do you think they'll part with that and expect nothing in return? People tend to invest so they can make more money and loads more than you'd get from any bank.

Most likely it will be an investment group of some kind and they'll want profits. There is also a high probability that it's done with borrowed money, so they'll need that back as well. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the Glazers, but are we ever that lucky?

As it is, ENIC don't take any money out. We've hardly ever paid out dividends as far as I can recall, but that was just peanuts and probably just done to keep it away from the taxman. ENIC have actually put a significant amount of money IN.

Once the stadium is finished there's isn't much to do other than work on increasing our commercial revenue. We will have closed the gap somewhat, but we won't even be on equal footing with **** until we're CL regulars. ManU are untouchable in financial terms for the foreseeable future and City and Chelsea still have wealthy owners and they're both increasing their income. At best we'll be fighting with Liverpool and maybe City and Chelsea (depending on their future financial standings) for 3rd/4th.

More likely we'll be where we are now, just with slightly higher paid players, while our new owners drain us of 10s of millions every year.

would love this..wont happen though

Depends on the buyer.
Someone like Vincent Tan, no thanks.
Id also rather not have a murdering Russian oil tycoon.

Emirates Marketing Project style shieks would be ok and despite the bleating of the other mancunians, they have done well under the glaziers.

American money would maybe be the preferred choice.... But however the money came in, would the ride be as much fun?

What you got to think about is what is the incentive for a potential new owner at Spurs?

the real money in owning a football club is when you sell, buying Spurs at whatever Lewis would want would leave little room for profit to be generated.

We're the outsider in a 6 horse race for CL qualification - can't see an Abromovich type being interested when they can buy in less competitive leagues and have a quicker route to success.

What you got to think about is what is the incentive for a potential new owner at Spurs?

the real money in owning a football club is when you sell, buying Spurs at whatever Lewis would want would leave little room for profit to be generated.

We're the outsider in a 6 horse race for CL qualification - can't see an Abromovich type being interested when they can buy in less competitive leagues and have a quicker route to success.

City sheiks or abrahmovich aren't about making a profit.

Plus there is still huge potential to make money and sell tottenham on for an investor. We could be a Bayern Munich if enough money were invested correctly.

We missed out on the chance of a lifetime when RA bought Chelsea, may never get that type of opportunity again this century. Of course it may be he was never interested in us, but whatever went on, Chelsea got the lottery win and pushed themselves ahead of us in the London hierarchy.

It's hard to see the stadium alone being enough to turn the big 5 into a super six and we start winning trophies each decade, not one Lge Cup every 14 years as it is with ENIC now. Still, who knows, it's all so far in the future again. Archway may be able to go to some European court or whatever, human rights, blah, blah. Maybe they can't, it's just all so depressing ATM.

I'd be delighted if ENIC sold up tomorrow for a reasonable price, say £350m, giving them what £200m profit, to a billionaire benefactor, as I'm sure that they could throw money at the stadium and allow us to buy a Danny Welbeck or two on top of that without breaking FFP. And IF say, Lamela for example, turns into a superstar maybe we can keep him. But it's all so much pie in the sky I know, still maybe just maybe we can win a trophy this season.

Last edited:

They would be banking on the football bubble keeping growing. The vast majority of the profit that ENIC will make is down to a growing market and not their actions.

They would be banking on the football bubble keeping growing. The vast majority of the profit that ENIC will make is down to a growing market and not their actions.

Selling a top 5/6 club with brand new facilities is bound to attract more money than it would have if they'd run it like Everton or Villa. Throwing everything they had and then some on players, often with little to no re-sale value, and just about kept touch with the top teams. Everything is well set up to generate income, which is unfortunately something a new owner would look for first. Someone like West Ham could easily become a top 10 side with someone semi-intelligent running things, but why put yourself through all that hassle? You could buy them for half the price or less, which is where we'd be today too without Levy's hard work.

Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

City sheiks or abrahmovich aren't about making a profit.

Plus there is still huge potential to make money and sell tottenham on for an investor. We could be a Bayern Munich if enough money were invested correctly.

There won't be another Sheik/Abramovich type in the EPL imo for a very long time - they'll look to foreign leagues where there is less competition and an easy route to the CL where they can then take on the other billionaires.

My point really was that the difficulty we are having breaking the top 4 and building the new stadium are likely to carry on over in to a new ownership - outside of the billionaires any club which plays fast and loose with cash in an attempt to rise up the ladder has ultimately fallen flat on their face - Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Portsmouth, Leeds, QPR - probably more. Swansea and Southamton are the pick of the clubs who have changed owners recently - and they've improved by following a similar path to ourselves, so i think it's highly unlikely we'll see much of a change in philosophy and if we do the examples of clubs which have failed in doing so would make me very pessimistic of our chances at avoiding a similar fate.

Selling a top 5/6 club with brand new facilities is bound to attract more money than it would have if they'd run it like Everton or Villa. Throwing everything they had and then some on players, often with little to no re-sale value, and just about kept touch with the top teams. Everything is well set up to generate income, which is unfortunately something a new owner would look for first. Someone like West Ham could easily become a top 10 side with someone semi-intelligent running things, but why put yourself through all that hassle? You could buy them for half the price or less, which is where we'd be today too without Levy's hard work.
Absolutely. They have definitely done everything that they can to maximise their return. ENIC are a sports investment company, it is what they do. But, I suspect, that if they had done nothing with us but keep us in the Premier League these last 13 years they would still be looking at close to a ten fold return on their initial investment.

What's that? Lies in the Daily Mirror? Who'd have thought it?

Totally agree, West Ham or Everton would be a bet option for a buyer.

Back