• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Car written off- experiences and advice

What do you have to spend/what kind of age/mileage can you accept?

I only do 7000 miles pa. was looking at a new disco sport but recoiled at the finance.
Budget about 10k. Lower mileage a good thing.
Used Favourites are an xk or a merc cls but 4wd would be handy out here.
Has to have 4 doors.

Am 6'5" so can't really do anything sporty.

I only do 7000 miles pa. was looking at a new disco sport but recoiled at the finance.
Budget about 10k. Lower mileage a good thing.
Used Favourites are an xk or a merc cls but 4wd would be handy out here.
Has to have 4 doors.

Am 6'5" so can't really do anything sporty.
You might struggle in a CLS at your height. I'm only 6'1" and visibility past the A pillars is pretty poor for me in the new model.

If you like the upright seating style of the Discovery then have you considered a higher mileage X5 or M Class? The trick is to buy an engine that a manufacturer churns out thousands of a day - for BMW and Mercedes, building a straight 6, 3 litre diesel is like you or me making a cup of tea. I've got a 5 with the same 3l engine as they use in the X5 and I've done over 180K in it now - it's taken me 10 years and I've had to service it regularly but it's still solid.

Cars take a massive drop in value at 50K, 100K, 150K, etc as theses are limits people set themselves when buying - as you do such low mileage, look for something just over a border and you'll get a bargain.

You might struggle in a CLS at your height. I'm only 6'1" and visibility past the A pillars is pretty poor for me in the new model.

If you like the upright seating style of the Discovery then have you considered a higher mileage X5 or M Class? The trick is to buy an engine that a manufacturer churns out thousands of a day - for BMW and Mercedes, building a straight 6, 3 litre diesel is like you or me making a cup of tea. I've got a 5 with the same 3l engine as they use in the X5 and I've done over 180K in it now - it's taken me 10 years and I've had to service it regularly but it's still solid.

Cars take a massive drop in value at 50K, 100K, 150K, etc as theses are limits people set themselves when buying - as you do such low mileage, look for something just over a border and you'll get a bargain.
Whilst remembering that on a BMW you have to change the timing belt or somesuch at some point which is expensive... can't remember the details... is it 80k miles or something, have to take the whole engine out... can't remember

yeah will factor in service jobs due in comparative costs between individual cars.

For jags I know it was going to be south of £400. Will have a look see at the Beemer prices.

Probably not a factor in deciding which make and model to select as it is part of normal servicing. But yeah if it needs doing v if it has been done comes into the pricing.

Whilst remembering that on a BMW you have to change the timing belt or somesuch at some point which is expensive... can't remember the details... is it 80k miles or something, have to take the whole engine out... can't remember
Didn't BMW switch to chains about 15 years ago?

i've bought my last three from a dealer with warranty and a service plan, you pay a little bit more but you don't get any nasty surprises,

I'll give you the same advice I gave earlier in this thread - take the money and go buy notanAudi ;)

No need.... they can fix it. It might take 6 to 8 weeks as it needs a new exhaust and they aren't any in stock at the moment but it's on order.

Given me a fudging Kia Picanto in the meantime. Pile of absolute brick.

Just to wrap this up, finally got my new motor today. Ex lease bmw330d gt.
Have had some proper muck in the interim including the worst car I have ever driven and I have driven since 1988. Citroen cactus, handling is dangerous imo. On the plus side I had a Hyundai i20 which was excellent!!

i think it's now safe to divulge the full horror story. My car was written off by a guy being chased by the police. He went through two gardens before t-boning my car on my driveway writing my car off and the wall and car of my poor neighbours on the other side.
Guy did a runner and escaped despite dogs and helicopter.
He has finally been arrested. Apparently involved in shootings and torture during an aggravated burglary and the old bill referred to him as a hitman.

Had been one hell of a time consuming and stressful time. To be honest I have felt a little ill prepared to be confronted with the darker side of our society. And although there is a big question mark about the policy of police pursuits, the boys in blue have to face up to these people day in day out and I salute them.

Just to wrap this up, finally got my new motor today. Ex lease bmw330d gt.
Have had some proper muck in the interim including the worst car I have ever driven and I have driven since 1988. Citroen cactus, handling is dangerous imo. On the plus side I had a Hyundai i20 which was excellent!!

i think it's now safe to divulge the full horror story. My car was written off by a guy being chased by the police. He went through two gardens before t-boning my car on my driveway writing my car off and the wall and car of my poor neighbours on the other side.
Guy did a runner and escaped despite dogs and helicopter.
He has finally been arrested. Apparently involved in shootings and torture during an aggravated burglary and the old bill referred to him as a hitman.

Had been one hell of a time consuming and stressful time. To be honest I have felt a little ill prepared to be confronted with the darker side of our society. And although there is a big question mark about the policy of police pursuits, the boys in blue have to face up to these people day in day out and I salute them.

Good point, there seems to be a lot of folks who are willing to judge the actions of the police both here and in the USA without having to face the problems they have to every day in their working life. What's that old saying " you should never judge a man until you have walked a mile in their shoes".

Good point, there seems to be a lot of folks who are willing to judge the actions of the police both here and in the USA without having to face the problems they have to every day in their working life. What's that old saying " you should never judge a man until you have walked a mile in their shoes".
....because then you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Back