• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Car written off- experiences and advice

johnola

Mauricio Taricco
Just been informed my car has been written off.

No fault of my own. Was on drive when some bellend chased by the old bill t boned it on my drive.

Anyway, ignoring all the other complexities, what is the best strategy to extract most value from my car? It had full Audi stamps and very low mileage.

happened to me a year ago, similar thing, someone drove into it

I had a load of research on what the car could be worth on comparison sites ready to do battle but they offered at the high end so we accepted

make sure you claim for anything inside the car that was broken or no longer usable as well, we got new car seats for the kids paid for on top

Take the insurance, buy it back for a pittance, fix it up and sell it, go buy something that isn't an Audi ;)

Take the insurance, buy it back for a pittance, fix it up and sell it, go buy something that isn't an Audi ;)

likecallcgerman cars, very good but not cool.

Not sure about buying it back. should I try and speak to the engineer who wrote it off? But too bent to drive safely and do not want it sat on my drive just to eke out a few quid breaking it.

likecallcgerman cars, very good but not cool.

Not sure about buying it back. should I try and speak to the engineer who wrote it off? But too bent to drive safely and do not want it sat on my drive just to eke out a few quid breaking it.
It depends how broken it is.

Normally when an insurance company writes a car off it can be repaired and sold, it's just not in their interest to take the risk.

I'm sure the guy who wrote it off would be able to give you a guide.

happened to me a year ago, similar thing, someone drove into it

I had a load of research on what the car could be worth on comparison sites ready to do battle but they offered at the high end so we accepted

make sure you claim for anything inside the car that was broken or no longer usable as well, we got new car seats for the kids paid for on top

Ok ta mate.

What market should I assess against? Private sales or glasses guide?

How do I account for immaculate service history and low mileage?

The insurers have been shambolic so far so hopefully they eff up in my favour.

It depends how broken it is.

Normally when an insurance company writes a car off it can be repaired and sold, it's just not in their interest to take the risk.

I'm sure the guy who wrote it off would be able to give you a guide.

I havent had access to the report but have the guys number who priced up the damage. It was tboned on the rear wheel and pushed through a wall and then collided with next doors car -which was written off. So pretty badly smashed although it didnt look too bad to my untutored eye and the recovery guys reversed it back out under its own steam onto the highway.

I will call him tomorrow.

Ok ta mate.

it was direct line, they went on the auto trader guide price as far as I can tell, I also had a FSH and reasonably low mileage but the car was nearly 10 years old

I'd just MOT'd it and had a wheel bearing replaced (covered under warranty thankfully) but that didn't come into it, I guess they go on the assumption of road worthy vehicle

Ok ta mate.

I don't think you can compare like that.

The car will have a write off category and by law you have to make that clear when selling. That will affect the value of the car massively, so you'd have to compare like for like on that front. See here

Obviously the worse the write off was the less value the car has, but sometimes it works out better to repair than cut your losses.

I don't think you can compare like that.

The car will have a write off category and by law you have to make that clear when selling. That will affect the value of the car massively, so you'd have to compare like for like on that front. See here

Obviously the worse the write off was the less value the car has, but sometimes it works out better to repair than cut your losses.

Cheers buddy very useful. Did not have time to call him but got a pretty decent offer straight off the bat from the insurer today so am going to try and argue that a little higher on Monday and move swiftly on.

Surprisingly painless. Thought I was going to take a massive hit.

it was direct line, they went on the auto trader guide price as far as I can tell, I also had a FSH and reasonably low mileage but the car was nearly 10 years old

I'd just MOT'd it and had a wheel bearing replaced (covered under warranty thankfully) but that didn't come into it, I guess they go on the assumption of road worthy vehicle

Thank you buddy. Was reassuring to hear your tale.

I got a market value quote from autotrader last night and, well it wasn't great.

The insurers offer is 25% higher and i haven't even mentioned the fluffy dice yet.

Cheers buddy very useful. Did not have time to call him but got a pretty decent offer straight off the bat from the insurer today so am going to try and argue that a little higher on Monday and move swiftly on.

Surprisingly painless. Thought I was going to take a massive hit.
Sometimes it isn't too bad. A protracted argument and/or hire car for the time it takes to repair often means they want out ASAP

Sometimes it isn't too bad. A protracted argument and/or hire car for the time it takes to repair often means they want out ASAP

Scara, there is no repair considered here. Are you implying bind them up timewise in the settlement negotiation.,I could bury them in "evidence" of my cars value by email.

I don't want anything to do with my car in its reduced state. I don't want to break it myself and I have lost confidence in its structural integrity.

Scara, there is no repair considered here. Are you implying bind them up timewise in the settlement negotiation.,I could bury them in "evidence" of my cars value by email.

I don't want anything to do with my car in its reduced state. I don't want to break it myself and I have lost confidence in its structural integrity.
No, I'd say in your position just take the money and go buy something else.

What I meant is that normally an insurance company will overestimate the cost of repair when writing a car off as there are other costs they have to worry about that you might not.

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

No, I'd say in your position just take the money and go buy something else.

What I meant is that normally an insurance company will overestimate the cost of repair when writing a car off as there are other costs they have to worry about that you might not.

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yeah, whole thing has been a ballache. Again, I appreciate your views and time pushing me forward. Good man.

like all german cars, very good but not cool.

You are wrong and naughty. German cars are very good and very cool. They are frickin brilliant. If it wasn't for ze Germans I'd be driving round in a Ford or Citroen or Alfa or somesuch flimsy tripe.

You are wrong and naughty. German cars are very good and very cool. They are frickin brilliant. If it wasn't for ze Germans I'd be driving round in a Ford or Citroen or Alfa or somesuch flimsy tripe.

I'm on my fifth Ford in a row, well built vehicles at a reasonable price imo

I once sat in a Mondeo, to try to understand why they are so much cheaper than an E-Class.

The pedals were offset somewhere in Narnia, the dashboard was super cheap, the buttons were nasty, everything screamed local radio and I got out, fast.

I miss my Mondeo

I miss my Mondeo
What did you do with it?

When I bought a Mercedes it was a tad disconcerting... I put my foot on the accelarator and the horizon rushed towards me.

Om nom nom. Eat the road. It is different.

I took it to the garage for a service and when I picked it up the mechanic said "I can't believe how quiet it is, so strange, I've tuned my car to go BLAAAAARGH pfsht BLAAAAARGH pfsht BLAAAAARGH down the road".

Back