• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captain Next Season?

I think people will be surprised by Dawson's renaissance under LVG.

It's exactly what he did with Demichelis and van Buyten (two quite comparable players to Dawson) at Bayern.

Yes two defenders with little pace but fantastic reading of the game, something Dawson is not overly gifted with.

Unfortunately I've only seen one player at the club (apart from Dawson) who I think is a leader and that's Laste Dombaxe and he's a million miles away from the first team. A good team would have 3 or 4 candidates.

As a figurehead for the club Dawson is great, but a leader? Nah. He'd be far down any list of players I'd look to if I needed someone with that drive to win that can push the rest of the team on.

I want a perfectionist as a captain not someone who likes to shout empty bull****, is undisciplined and frequently makes mistakes.
A Philipp Lahm type.
Eriksen is the obvious candidate.

Vertonghen if he wants it.

Lloris and Sandro both also good candidates I think. (although all 3 depends on them still being around of course)

Although I normally think a captain should have been around a club for a while I wouldn't mind if a new manager brings in a new player he trusts and immediately hands him the armband. **** the old guard, **** the status quo.

Meh, the idea of the captain is overrated. Leaders will lead regardless.

To some extent I agree with you, but like Superhudd says "sometimes it can make a man".

At least in some cases the benefit of appointing a captain will be more about the benefit from having that player take on more responsibility and grow from that as from the leadership effect the captain has on others.

If my memory serves me right there were real questions asked about if Roy Keane's attitude was right for a captain at the time when he was given it, if he was mature enough, if he could control his temper or something like that. But I think having the armband made him grow and made him better. I think the same could be said about RvP at the scum.

I think there's at least the potential for a positive impact on the player himself with players like Vertonghen and Sandro.

Captain for 2014-15 ?

Assuming Daws leaves (as seems likely), who would be your choice of team and club captain this season?

Frankly, I am struggling to think of anyone who has the requisite leadership skills and/or is a guaranteed starter. Prior to his shananagans last season, I would have selected Verts. Now, definitely not. But who else? Sandro ? Ade? FFS.

This conundrum really underlines for me the lack of strong determined fighters and leaders in our squad and goes to the heart of why we show lack of fight at times with a high propensity for capitulation.

And it underscores the desperate need for us to bring in the requisite backbone ASAP.

Re: Captain for 2014-15 ?

Both could well be on their way out, but the only candidates for me would be Hugo and Verts. And I'm not a fan of keepers as captains, so that leaves Verts. Hopefully new management will reinvigorate him a bit.

I wouldn't actually be against a new player being made captain if we can sign a proper leader.

If not, Vertonghen if he responds well to Poch in training. Lloris another candidate I suppose.

One man, and one man only...

lloris_2363525b.jpg

When everyone was sulking, including Verts, he still performed to the maximum and led by example. I would've always said Verts but after the Anfield sulk it's clear to see Lloris is the man you want out there leading the team.

I think that it is more likely that Dawson will stay than go. We are not going to replace two centre backs this summer and I think that concerns over Kaboul's fitness are likely to trump concerns over Dawson's pace.

I think that it is more likely that Dawson will stay than go. We are not going to replace two centre backs this summer and I think that concerns over Kaboul's fitness are likely to trump concerns over Dawson's pace.

Quite possibly. I'm ok with Dawson as a squad/backup centre half, but not sure he's good enough to be a regular starter for us.

Either way we should have a captain that's a regular starter, or if we get into a situation similar to when King was our captain having a vice-captain/team captain type player that has the armband when Dawson isn't in the starting line-up.

Because he's about as thick as my shoe (Walker). My vote is hands down Lloris.

Is he? Based on what? So we should have some kind of Mensa test and choose the captain this way.. All these years teams have been choosing their captains the wrong way.. I assume Beckham was a bad England captain then and Clarke Carlise one of the best? What does that make Roy Keane and Joey Barton?

Is he? Based on what? So we should have some kind of Mensa test and choose the captain this way.. All these years teams have been choosing their captains the wrong way.. I assume Beckham was a bad England captain then and Clarke Carlise one of the best? What does that make Roy Keane and Joey Barton?

To be honest Im with the majority of foreign teams who dont put much emphasis on who is captain. Natural leaders don't need an armband to lead by example, when Parker was here he didn't wait until he had the armband to do it. Does it really matter?

Quite possibly. I'm ok with Dawson as a squad/backup centre half, but not sure he's good enough to be a regular starter for us.

Either way we should have a captain that's a regular starter, or if we get into a situation similar to when King was our captain having a vice-captain/team captain type player that has the armband when Dawson isn't in the starting line-up.

Hasn't that been the situation (or close to being the situation) for most of Dawson's time as captain?

Back