• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captain Next Season?

Bxk73_dCAAAPH3l.jpg

There's only 2 Brad Friedels?

(I know it's Allan Dixon)

I am surprised but I assume there are good reasons for it and some have been mentioned above. Senior player. Well known. Good voice. And maybe Poch thinks he can make a player out of him as he clearly has the raw attributes to be a top player.

Considering the majority don't think he should be starting I cannot say this is great news.. just more negativity enducing for the famous WHL sigh and moaning in the crowd.

Makes sense as he's pretty much the senior statesman in terms of length of time with the club, other than Lennon, who isn't really captain material is he?

Jul 05 - Lennon
Jul 06 - BAE
May 07 - Rose
Jul 08 - Townsend
Nov 09 - Mason
Jul 09 - Walker and Naughton
Jan 10 - Kaboul
Oct 10 - Khumalo
Jul 11 - Friedel and Ceballos
Aug 11 - Kane
Jan 12 - Bentaleb
Jul 12 - Verts
Aug 12 - Ade, Dembele, Lloris

I am surprised but I assume there are good reasons for it and some have been mentioned above. Senior player. Well known. Good voice. And maybe Poch thinks he can make a player out of him as he clearly has the raw attributes to be a top player.

He's nearly 29 and his legs have gone

Iam one who wonders whether Younes should be starting. I am also one who believes in supporting the manager as much as possible. So in Poch we trust and congratulations Younes Kaboul!!!!!

Jul 05 - Lennon
Jul 06 - BAE
May 07 - Rose
Jul 08 - Townsend
Nov 09 - Mason
Jul 09 - Walker and Naughton
Jan 10 - Kaboul
Oct 10 - Khumalo
Jul 11 - Friedel and Ceballos
Aug 11 - Kane
Jan 12 - Bentaleb
Jul 12 - Verts
Aug 12 - Ade, Dembele, Lloris

Kaboul had a spell with us before that though.

Colour me surprised. I imagine it's just respect. Why suddenly strip him of the captaincy? Could end in tears. This is a subtle way of handing Lloris the captaincy without officially making him club captain.

Yup pretty much what I thought when I saw the statement. "Soooo....Lloris then." ;)

Think back to the days when Juande Ramos would haul him off at half time every game. Imagine if the guy next to you at that point said "that guy. Kaboul. He'll be club captain one day."

Mind blown.

Congrats Younes at least he knows what the clubs about

as Lineker said about the England captaincy, it's not about on the pitch, it's about being the squad statesman, he's got plenty of experience and seems popular amongst the squad

I don't think anyone is doubting Kaboul's experience and personality, he has always seemed like one of the more vocal players in a fairly quiet squad we've had over the last few years. Giving it to a newcomer like Fazio would have been a huge risk, as he may not get on with the rest of the team and/or fail to adapt to English football.

My issue with giving it to Kaboul is that it implies he's going to be securely first choice this season. Judging by our opening few games, and the continuous downward slope in his form over the past two years, that is disappointing to say the least. Fair play to Poch if it all helps get Kaboul back to where he was in 2012, but with Vertonghen, Dier, Chiriches and Fazio all in the squad, the way things are now it doesn't make sense for Kaboul to stay in the starting line-up given that we've conceded five goals in our last two games

Lloris and Ade are good back-ups for me. Lloris should have had the armband full time - as the French national team captain and our best player it makes sense to have him as the figurehead of the club. Ade has a way of winding people up the wrong way, but he is certainly a big personality within the squad, and despite the myths of him being lazy, in the majority of games he works harder than the majority of players on the pitch. I wonder if giving him the captain's armband would give him that extra feeling of responsibility and to keep him motivated to stay at his best.

Poch has proven ruthless in dealing with big name players in his squads before, so if Kaboul's form continues to be **** I'd expect him to change things at the end of the season, if not earlier.

Firstly, not a surprise at all: he's captained us in every league game this season.

Secondly, it's obviously no guarantee of a first eleven place. If Poch thinks Vertonghen & Fazio is our best combination for any given game, he will pick those two. Or another combination he prefers.

Thirdly, I like our choice of vice-captains - Lloris & Ade, our two best senior players, each good influences in different ways.

I'm going to read into things a bit here....

* Vertonghen is first choice CB
* Vertonghen was alongside Fazio tonight
* This will be the CB pairing Poch wants to lead with and will play on Sunday
* Kaboul will be first reserve
* Lloris will captain the team most games this season
* Ade will hardly get a look in because of the above statement

Back