• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cann we?

Uefa and fifa have zero creativity. How do we make more money? More games!

Problem is people only have a finite amount of money to spend. Only a finite amount of time to watch football.

The next world cup is going to be a joke. 48 teams. How many games a day in the group stage is that? 4/5. Couldn't watch 3 a day in the last world cup and i was a carer. You're talking 10 hours of football a day.

So people will pick and choose which games they watch. The actual overall viewership will probably not increase by much. So why should sponsors or broadcasters pay more?

Not to mention the strain it has on the players. Non-stop football can’t be good for injuries and recovery.

I get the financial upside, but we are nowhere near ready to be competing in CL and at the same time top 4 like we were at the peak of our powers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a season in the Europa League and coming up against some similar level teams where we could really give it a go. Champions League is great just to be playing some of Europes elite, but would be far more excited to be participating in a competition we could actually win IF we take it seriously....

I’m 100% with you. I’ll admit I used look at the Europa and the conference with disdain but it’s probably partially the reason why we’ve not won anything for 15 years. All the other teams in the prem (particularly the big teams) try and win every competition they enter in. I would be buzzing if we won the Europa or the ECL.

The only reason missing out on CL would be bad for us is the ability to attract better players and we do kind of need the revenue to pay off the stadium.

Europa is thu to sunday. Cl you get more games off between games. It's easier to compete in the prem bing in cl than el. Then it's also an attraction for players. Financially better. Better for the coefficients going forward (which means easier draws). We'd give it 100% so better games.

This europa league talk is the equivalent of "didn't fancy you anyway, you lesbian".
It's really not. But a lot have seemed super concerned about the 5th PL place getting CL when it's really not that big a deal. If we get 4th and get in CL great I won't be complaining, extra money etc but we arent going to go particularly deep in the competition.

We didn't get to the CL final overnight, as a team we spent 3 years in the Europa League before Poch's first CL qualification and then we built on things from there year on year. So its really not a big deal if we don't make CL in a competition that we realistically aren't equipped to challenge along with the league demands aswell at the moment. Europa League would be a good opportunity for the team as a unit to gain European experience and grow organically - perhaps have a real shot at the tournament.....

I’m 100% with you. I’ll admit I used look at the Europa and the conference with disdain but it’s probably partially the reason why we’ve not won anything for 15 years. All the other teams in the prem (particularly the big teams) try and win every competition they enter in. I would be buzzing if we won the Europa or the ECL.

The only reason missing out on CL would be bad for us is the ability to attract better players and we do kind of need the revenue to pay off the stadium.
Agreed, not saying I would be unhappy at being in the CL again but would love to have a crack in this tournament too.

We seem to be able to attract talented players without being in Europe, so whilst we might miss out on the odd 'elite' target Im not overly concerned about who we can/can't attract if in Europa League....

I didn't realise the Europa was also revamped like the CL, so there's more games in that too in the "league" stage.
Yes there's two extra games in the league stage... scheduled in January (hence the fa cup rejiggle).

I think it's 15 games to win it or 17 if you have to play the extra round.

Its possibly be a bit easier to win the EL next season with no CL drop ins after the group stage

I get the financial upside, but we are nowhere near ready to be competing in CL and at the same time top 4 like we were at the peak of our powers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a season in the Europa League and coming up against some similar level teams where we could really give it a go. Champions League is great just to be playing some of Europes elite, but would be far more excited to be participating in a competition we could actually win IF we take it seriously....

Pretty much my thoughts on it as well,Ange still has a lot of work to get us to the finished articule and getting into the CL would not help that development imo. The Europa should be a easier competition for us to improve in and grow.

It's really not. But a lot have seemed super concerned about the 5th PL place getting CL when it's really not that big a deal. If we get 4th and get in CL great I won't be complaining, extra money etc but we arent going to go particularly deep in the competition.

We didn't get to the CL final overnight, as a team we spent 3 years in the Europa League before Poch's first CL qualification and then we built on things from there year on year. So its really not a big deal if we don't make CL in a competition that we realistically aren't equipped to challenge along with the league demands aswell at the moment. Europa League would be a good opportunity for the team as a unit to gain European experience and grow organically - perhaps have a real shot at the tournament.....

Why couldn't we go far? Top 16 get into the playoffs. Some good recruitment in the summer why wouldn't we be good enough? Are there really 16 teams that much better than us in europe? Ok we've played poor the last few games. But there's been a lot going on.

Why couldn't we go far? Top 16 get into the playoffs. Some good recruitment in the summer why wouldn't we be good enough? Are there really 16 teams that much better than us in europe? Ok we've played poor the last few games. But there's been a lot going on.

I prefer us to be in the CL as you wanna test yourselves against the best, that should IMO be the aim, but I won't lose sleep in which one we end up in.

I get slightly confused with the idea of the "lets be in a lesser comp because we could win it" given that if you don't you have ultimately been knocked out of a weaker competition and one the fans keep banging on about being winnable. You get knocked out of the QF of the EL then it makes a mockery of the calls of "well we don't win the CL so why be in it", almost smacks of inverted arrogance from us

I prefer us to be in the CL as you wanna test yourselves against the best, that should IMO be the aim, but I won't lose sleep in which one we end up in.

I get slightly confused with the idea of the "lets be in a lesser comp because we could win it" given that if you don't you have ultimately been knocked out of a weaker competition and one the fans keep banging on about being winnable. You get knocked out of the QF of the EL then it makes a mockery of the calls of "well we don't win the CL so why be in it", almost smacks of inverted arrogance from us

People just trying to make excuses and reasons for not being in it. To protect themselves from the hurt of not being in it.

Not being in the cl should hurt. It should be a tragedy. Doesn't mean we should lash out at the players/manager/owner. But it's not where we want to be. We want to be in the top competitions challenging. Then winning them.

No we're not there yet. But we can get there.

If we don't get cl. Villa does. That gives them a huge financial boost that they'll use to strengthen. Basically we'd be losing £100m in revenue (matchday included) and giving it to them. How can that be a good thing?

People just trying to make excuses and reasons for not being in it. To protect themselves from the hurt of not being in it.

Not being in the cl should hurt. It should be a tragedy. Doesn't mean we should lash out at the players/manager/owner. But it's not where we want to be. We want to be in the top competitions challenging. Then winning them.

No we're not there yet. But we can get there.

If we don't get cl. Villa does. That gives them a huge financial boost that they'll use to strengthen. Basically we'd be losing £100m in revenue (matchday included) and giving it to them. How can that be a good thing?

It should hurt not to be in the CL, (a problem I think some of ours players have had in the past is that it doesn't hurt enough) doesn't mean we should not go out to win the EL, especially now it means a CL place for the winner.

I'm happy enough to be on the Europa next season. I kind of feel the competition has recovered some of its vigor and prestige recently and I think the lack of teams dropping into it also helps keep the prestige. I guess also separating out the Conference teams helps.

I think Ange will take it seriously, so I can see us doing quite well as long as we beef up the squad.

It should hurt not to be in the CL, (a problem I think some of ours players have had in the past is that it doesn't hurt enough) doesn't mean we should not go out to win the EL, especially now it means a CL place for the winner.

I think we all agree if we are in the el we should try and win it. Same as any competition. We'd need rotation but do that based on fitness/tiredness. You rest a player, they could pull a hammy in training the next week.

I'm not excited about playing in a B competition, but it would help with developing the youth and giving game time to some of the more fringe players. From a practical point of view, that is the only reason why I would be fine with EL.

That being said, it is very important for us to finish the season as strongly as we started it, even if it doesn't result in CL, because that will give any potential transfer target the warm and fuzzies that we are going in the right direction.

I'm not excited about playing in a B competition, but it would help with developing the youth and giving game time to some of the more fringe players. From a practical point of view, that is the only reason why I would be fine with EL.

That being said, it is very important for us to finish the season as strongly as we started it, even if it doesn't result in CL, because that will give any potential transfer target the warm and fuzzies that we are going in the right direction.

it could indeed, but we've never really done that

I wonder how Ange treated such games at other clubs

if we do fudge it up and end up in the EL it should be our second priority next season IMO, it's still a direct route to the CL

Villa go through, but lose on the night. 1 point divided by eight should leave England 0.642 behind Germany currently. Liverpool and West Ham can add a maximum of 0.75 points if both through or 0.5 as long as they just win tonight. I suppose West Ham knocking out Leverkusen is the only thing that can make the extra CL spot feasible.

Villa go through, but lose on the night. 1 point divided by eight should leave England 0.642 behind Germany currently. Liverpool and West Ham can add a maximum of 0.75 points if both through or 0.5 as long as they just win tonight. I suppose West Ham knocking out Leverkusen is the only thing that can make the extra CL spot feasible.
Do you still get the full 2pts if you win the 2nd leg on penalties?

Back