• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Full Poch quotes.

"Ben is OK -- he played a lot of games in three months and sometimes you need to rest some players, but the team played well," Pochettino said. "Son played in a position we tried to be more offensive in, tried to stop [Chelsea] in different ways -- not waiting for [Victor] Moses, pushing him to play in the back five.

"He made a very good job and when you lose, of course, you need to find and try to improve. The decision was to be more offensive, play in a way to win the game always. Ben is OK tomorrow, he needed to rest a little bit but maybe he will play tomorrow."

So just the usual Poch fudges up rotation with no forward planning.

He supposed to plan out in advance what games to rest his players in so they don't turn up the day before Chelsea and realise his full backs are knackered.
Bournemouth at home last week was the game to rest the pair of them.

Poch brings us so fudging far and then fudges up with the minor details likes this. Its so fudging frustrating.

Sorry, but what dumb point is this?
The usual?

You speak as though it is a fact and/or you have insight as to what went on.
You have no clue.

Full Poch quotes.

"Ben is OK -- he played a lot of games in three months and sometimes you need to rest some players, but the team played well," Pochettino said. "Son played in a position we tried to be more offensive in, tried to stop [Chelsea] in different ways -- not waiting for [Victor] Moses, pushing him to play in the back five.

"He made a very good job and when you lose, of course, you need to find and try to improve. The decision was to be more offensive, play in a way to win the game always. Ben is OK tomorrow, he needed to rest a little bit but maybe he will play tomorrow."

He supposed to plan out in advance what games to rest his players in so they don't turn up the day before Chelsea and realise his full backs are knackered.

Poch brings us so fudging far and then fudges up with the minor details likes this. Its so fudging frustrating.

Stop whining FFS; have you yourself not said that Ben Davies cannot play as a wing-back??

Did you REALLY want us to play a back 4, with Moses AND the likes of Willian targeting that side?

Davies would have given us a defensive mind and balance on the left, however no attacking impetus at all and also would have been ROASTED on the Wembley pitch.
It was an understandable gamble.

Davies would have given us a defensive mind and balance on the left, however no attacking impetus at all and also would have been ROASTED on the Wembley pitch.
It was an understandable gamble

You are one of the FEW fans i spoke to during, after the game and since who thinks that.

You are one of the FEW fans i spoke to during, after the game and since who thinks that.

Really?? Do you not remember Davies getting roasted before??o_O Liverpool away?
Plus we as a team have been exposed on the bigger Wembley pitch from pacy counter-attacking forwards lots of times.
Thirdly, how often does Davies make the sort offensive runs AND passes in the big games? He's a very good solid left-back, but he doesn't have the pace and attacking instincts that Rose has in said games, and that i think is what Poch was wary of.

Plus we as a team have been exposed on the bigger Wembley pitch from pacy counter-attacking forwards lots of times.
Thirdly, how often does Davies make the sort offensive runs AND passes in the big games? He's a very good solid left-back, but he doesn't have the pace and attacking instincts that Rose has in said games, and that i think is what Poch was wary of.

You have been saying on here ( i think it was you anyway) all during the build up that you thought Davies would be our weak spot against Chelski so ( if it was you) i would expect you to say (have been ROASTED on the Wembley pitch.
.) However as i said you are one of the few who i was at the game with, and spoke to since who think that. But's is about opinions.

The bit you're ignoring is the choice was Davies or Son not Davies or Rose.

TBH the selection almost felt 'out of character' from Poch

You have been saying on here ( i think it was you anyway) all during the build up that you thought Davies would be our weak spot against Chelski so ( if it was you) i would expect you to say (have been ROASTED on the Wembley pitch.
.) However as i said you are one of the few who i was at the game with, and spoke to since who think that. But's is about opinions.

Yes. I did fear Davies would be our weak link on that big pitch vs Chelsea. Rose played a key part in how we matched up and beat Chelski in January and his athleticism and their fear of his forward attacking play was in the end the deciding factor imo.
It seems Poch thought so too.

Yes. I did fear Davies would be our weak link on that big pitch vs Chelsea. Rose played a key part in how we matched up and beat Chelski in January and his athleticism and their fear of his forward attacking play was in the end the deciding factor imo.
It seems Poch thought so too.
What if, and I know this a bit late for the semi final - Poch plays Davies AND Son in a wonky wing back formation? You have Trips as a proper Wing Back, Davies as a left back and have Son track back and help with the speed? If anyone has a time machine feel free to try this.

The bit you're ignoring is the choice was Davies or Son not Davies or Rose.

TBH the selection almost felt 'out of character' from Poch

I would have preferred a better defensive minded player, but i could understand the choice, a bit. Son has pace, can run all day and was in good attacking form.
I could see how Poch could think Son could do a job and at least make their right-side wary to attack us there.
In the end i think Poch took a gamble and it backfired somewhat.
The bigger issue for me was not playing Walker, but perhaps there were other issues on that one (Ugo's death?)

Now when we play Palace i fully expect us to go back to Davies on the left and a 4-3-2-1 with Son as well.
However, i understood that Poch would have been wary using that 4-3-2-1 formation on the Wembley pitch vs Chelski (probably one of only a few he would be imo)

What if, and I know this a bit late for the semi final - Poch plays Davies AND Son in a wonky wing back formation? You have Trips as a proper Wing Back, Davies as a left back and have Son track back and help with the speed? If anyone has a time machine feel free to try this.

I'd be happy to read your suggested line-up for this:)

The funny thing is both managers did not play their obvious side because of what they expected the opposition to do

- We didn't play Davies because he is the weakest link, expecting Conte to counter that with pace/width
- They didn't play Hazard from start (expect us to target him, perhaps a man mark option)

Not sure if I agree with the tactic choices, but I don't think we lost the game because of the tactics, in my opinion we lost because

- We had two of our best players not play to their usual level (Toby for foul, Lloris on the freekick)
- One of their players hit a once in a career hit
- Our bench was significantly weaker than theirs
- Little bit of luck, e.g. ball spin back on Kane freekick

I would have preferred a better defensive minded player, but i could understand the choice, a bit. Son has pace, can run all day and was in good attacking form.
I could see how Poch could think Son could do a job and at least make their right-side wary to attack us there.
In the end i think Poch took a gamble and it backfired somewhat.
The bigger issue for me was not playing Walker, but perhaps there were other issues on that one (Ugo's death?)

Now when we play Palace i fully expect us to go back to Davies on the left and a 4-3-2-1 with Son as well.
However, i understood that Poch would have been wary using that 4-3-2-1 formation on the Wembley pitch vs Chelski (probably one of only a few he would be imo)

Now we know there was nothing wrong with Davies he could have stuck with the 4-2-3-1 we had successfully moved back to (especially with Moose/Dier) along with, as you say, Walker at RB.

We played this vs Chelsea at the Bridge, and i remember a main feature of the first half was Son staying wide on the left of the 3 behind and pinning Moses back. I thought that maybe that was helped because Rose was behind him BUT having just looked, Wimmer was left back that night!

I just think a lot more safer/pragmatic line-ups were possible (its not like we couldn't just change it).........and that's why i say it's out of character.

We still played well, Chelsea had a day when the goals just flew in. Of course Son was responsible for the pen.....so maybe it was a bit of a f.uck up.

PS. It's not as bad as Conte.......Considering Cahill already being out......i dont think leaving your best 2 players (and consistent match winners) on the bench is going to find its way into the football coaching 101 anytime soon.

I'd go for:

Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Kane - I hope Poch does the same because THIS team can beat these corrupt load of racist scum.

Nice line-up...but not sure we'd beat Chelski with that 4-2-3-1. We'd be put away like they have done most sides with their formation sadly; especially with the wider Wembley pitch...

Now we know there was nothing wrong with Davies he could have stuck with the 4-2-3-1 we had successfully moved back to (especially with Moose/Dier) along with, as you say, Walker at RB.

We played this vs Chelsea at the Bridge, and i remember a main feature of the first half was Son staying wide on the left of the 3 behind and pinning Moses back. I thought that maybe that was helped because Rose was behind him BUT having just looked, Wimmer was left back that night!

I just think a lot more safer/pragmatic line-ups were possible (its not like we couldn't just change it).........and that's why i say it's out of character.

We still played well, Chelsea had a day when the goals just flew in. Of course Son was responsible for the pen.....so maybe it was a bit of a f.uck up.

PS. It's not as bad as Conte.......Considering Cahill already being out......i dont think leaving your best 2 players (and consistent match winners) on the bench is going to find its way into the football coaching 101 anytime soon.

Tbh, i think us playing a 4-2-3-1 would have been even easier for Chelski; they've generally swatted aside anyone who have played that formation this season. The wider pitch at Wembley would have given them even more of an advantage imo

Full Poch quotes.

"Ben is OK -- he played a lot of games in three months and sometimes you need to rest some players..............Ben is OK tomorrow, he needed to rest a little bit but maybe he will play tomorrow."

Your swearing and extreme comments do you no favours, but I agree it was stupid to play Davies for 90 minutes against Bournemouth (4-0) if he was getting tired

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39536679

Back