• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are you happy with this window?

Are you happy with our activity this transfer window?

• Yes

Votes: 64 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spurs' magna carter

Ronnie Rosenthal
Looking at how much business we've done, which in financial terms was more than anyone else, it's no surprise to see that we have failed in one department, left back, not only did we fail to improve on Danny Rose but we also have quite an inexperienced kid in Fryers behind him. It is work in progress though, turning us into title challengers and covering every single area in the squad that needs change isn't going to happen in one window.

This was our best XI last year

__________Lloris____________

Walker_Dawson_Vertonghen_BAE

_____Sandro___Dembele______

_Lennon____Bale___Sigurdsson_

__________Defoe____________

It lacked a creative player, a consistent goal scorer up front and cover in certain positions - only had two natural wingers and three out and out full-backs during the second half of the season.

Our start best XI now

__________Lloris____________

Walker_Kaboul_Vertonghen_Rose

______Sandro___Paulinho______

_Lamela____Eriksen______Cahdli

__________Soldado___________

Balance. We've addressed every area we needed to bar LB and to be honest, who knows, maybe Rose will in time become what we need, also even looking at him in terms of what he has to offer now his pace and stamina suites AVB's system of attacking full-backs. I too do worry about his defensive lapses, especially after the goal on Sunday but before that he helped us gain two clean sheets and I am willing to give him a chance, especially if he is as hungry to be in the starting XI as he says he is.

We also have added depth to our squad.

Our second choice XI

___________Freidal____________

Naughton_Chiriches_Dawson_Fryers

_______Capoue___Dembele______

_Townsend____Holtby_____Lennon_

_____________Defoe____________

And you still have Ade and Sigurdsson.

For a club in our position - just lost our best player, not in the CL, hardly winning trophies, not in a super duper stadium and having to battle with the EL programme I would say, in terms of per ratio, this club has had one of the best recruitment results out of everyone in Europe during this window. It will take time for these players to settle but if they do, then my word what a squad we have and if there are alarming problems then I can imagine Franco trying his best to fix them in January.

Going to be a very long and hard season this year, Liverpool have held on to Suarez whilst improving the squad, one which will not have to battle with European fixtures, Arsenal have bought one of the best play makers in the World and holding onto their best players whilst Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea have gone about their business very and crucially very early. Man Utd may have only signed Marouane Fellaini whilst having a new manager who is unproven at that level but they are champions for a reason and can't imagine them budging without a fight, RVP and Rooney are still not be underestimate despite their recent lack of creativity.

Even taking away the circumstances of this window a side, I would still say this has been the best window I have seen whilst I've been a fan. But all in all what is most important is that this team does it's business on the pitch, and with us needing silverware and a place in the CL they're going to need to do exactly that.

Last edited:
In what respect - First team? Defensively? More creativity? More depth? More balanced?

Game-changer being present that could bail us out when we were struggling to click a la Arsenal yesterday, I think. Lamela will need time, as will Eriksen, and while they settle we'll have to make do with a solid but utterly uninspiring side when it comes to creative play. We will probably end up overcoming that, but it'll be tough as all hell.

Having one game changer does not make you a stronger team imv - obviously it's easy to look on paper and say this and that should happen but we've strengthed all over the pitch(and then some) long term surely that's got be seen as a good thing rather than having one player a cut above tge rest who bails (...) you out regularly

I figured this window would at least not be considered a failure, but it seems I was wrong based on comments in various threads.

Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale.

The money received has help fund and speed up our progress. We have gone from mid table dross/relegation flirters to an established top 5 side and we still haven't peaked. Still, some of the posters here makes a pessimist convention seem like a bunch of hippies on xanax simply because we aren't running away with league and battling it out with the likes of Barca and Bayern in the CL.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Monaco, PSG, AC Milan, Juventus, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Bayern. That's 10 clubs we don't stand a chance against if we went for the same players. Then there's various Eastern European sugar daddy clubs and the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter, Atletico Madrid, Porto and others that can outdo us if they really want someone. Consider the players we've able to sign and this window is nothing but amazing from our POV.

Add a LB and ST to our squad and people would find other positions to moan about. The word deluded springs to mind, but it does not adequately describe the mental state some of you are in. Deluded in terms of where we currently are in the natural order of things. Deluded in terms of what can realistically be expected. Completely oblivious to everything we still manage to achieve and to the progress that has been made since ENIC took over. I guess nothing Spurs do will ever be good enough, yet nothing less than perfection is expected at all times.

All depends on how the new signings work out. We know we have lost a world class talent. What we don't know yet is whether the new players will more than compensate and overall be an upgrade. Sometimes talent just doesn't work out in a different environment.

All depends on how the new signings work out. We know we have lost a world class talent. What we don't know yet is whether the new players will more than compensate and overall be an upgrade. Sometimes talent just doesn't work out in a different environment.

Pretty much this. Time will tell.

Yes, very happy.

But if we had also managed to keep Gareth Bale, it would have been incredible.

Having one game changer does not make you a stronger team imv - obviously it's easy to look on paper and say this and that should happen but we've strengthed all over the pitch(and then some) long term surely that's got be seen as a good thing rather than having one player a cut above tge rest who bails (...) you out regularly

Possibly. I must admit I overlooked Holtby in that previous assertion. Play him instead of Dembele and we should have enough creativity to see us through if he steps up and lets his confidence shine through. However, we will miss that game-changer regardless of whether our team play gets better. Goals change the pace, flow and direction of games, and on days when our new look team struggles to break down some grimly determined park-the-bus side, I know a part of me will be wishing we had someone like that Bale fella to score from absolutely nowhere and force the opposition to come at us, on our terms. Still, you're quite possibly right: perhaps our team will overcome the loss of our star man and produce regularly enough that we won't need a game changer.

I figured this window would at least not be considered a failure, but it seems I was wrong based on comments in various threads.

Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale.

The money received has help fund and speed up our progress. We have gone from mid table dross/relegation flirters to an established top 5 side and we still haven't peaked. Still, some of the posters here makes a pessimist convention seem like a bunch of hippies on xanax simply because we aren't running away with league and battling it out with the likes of Barca and Bayern in the CL.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Monaco, PSG, AC Milan, Juventus, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Bayern. That's 10 clubs we don't stand a chance against if we went for the same players. Then there's various Eastern European sugar daddy clubs and the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter, Atletico Madrid, Porto and others that can outdo us if they really want someone. Consider the players we've able to sign and this window is nothing but amazing from our POV.

Add a LB and ST to our squad and people would find other positions to moan about. The word deluded springs to mind, but it does not adequately describe the mental state some of you are in. Deluded in terms of where we currently are in the natural order of things. Deluded in terms of what can realistically be expected. Completely oblivious to everything we still manage to achieve and to the progress that has been made since ENIC took over. I guess nothing Spurs do will ever be good enough, yet nothing less than perfection is expected at all times.

I would have liked an LB, myself. Don't think that's particularly deluded given that we've made a profit this window (again, like the last few) and we're on the verge of receiving a record TV windfall, not to mention that alleged loan from Joe Lewis sitting comfortably in our bank accounts (if it does indeed exist). Given all that, expecting us to make at least one signing not funded by Bale (namely a left-back) doesn't seem all that outrageous, deluded, oblivious, or deranged to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with this window. We've bought well, and given ourselves a shot at that top four (though how much Ozil impacts on our chances remains to be seen). However, it could have been better, and I don't particularly feel like deriding people who wanted more.

Not really In all honesty. I as well genuinely think we were stronger last season with bale. Find it worrying that we've broken even yet again makes me think all future windows are gonna be funded by sales of vertonghen Sandro etc

Not sure I can say I'm happy when you're losing your best and only world class player but given the circumstances and our position, I think we've done relatively well.

Another lb was needed imo, I still don't trust Rose as 1st choice and I certainly don't trust Fryers or Naughton as 2nd choice (or particularly want Vertonghen to be moved). We have what we have now and I want Walker and Rose to be practising their crossing non stop after training.

Would have wanted a physical alternative upfront to Soldado as well (I personally think Ade won't care anymore as he's clearly not 1st choice) and we need the creativity to be ramped up quick, otherwise Soldado is a completely pointless buy. Hopefully Lamela, Eriksen and Holtby will be providing that.

As I said, on paper, we've done well given the circumstances. We'll have to give it a while though to see how the players gel together and more importantly whether or not they can adapt to the league/ our system of play.

I also think some of the more negative sentiments being expressed would be rather more quiet if we hadn't just lost the NLD (or at the very least looked like we were capable of scoring a goal) ;)

Yes - we're much stronger across the piece and, whilst we've lost a world class player who bailed us out regularly, where would we be if we'd have kept him and he had done his ACL in the Wales game this week? At least we're now not reliant on one player staying fit

The team will take time to get - that inevitable but 6 points from the first 2 games isn't a disaster and providing we're in touch by say Nov/Dec then I think we can easily finish top 4, maybe top 3

I was, but can't help thinking Ozil would have been better than buying Chadli and Lamela.

And also with bAE gone and rose still playing its a bit of a shambles.

Ozil was almost 5x the cost of Chadli!!! And had we gone for him he would have cost even more given they were over-paying for Bale

happy not delighted, but it was going to be hard to replace bale.

if you think about it: extra tv money + bale is about what we spent, I think we could have done more with the amounts we got from the sale of players to strengthen LB and possibly upgrade on either ade or defoe.

Ozil was almost 5x the cost of Chadli!!! And had we gone for him he would have cost even more given they were over-paying for Bale

I meant both Lamela and Chadli. Total cost for them two is £39 mil and for only 3 more we could have gone for Ozil, not that he would have definitely agreed to join us....

Just think arsenal are stronger than us with one signing and we are weaker with 7, and getting rid of our best left back we have had in years, probably in my lifetime and replacing him with an average left midfielder who can't defend.

Oh and selling our best attacking player which has weakened us. It's early days but Im not so sure the transfer window was the best one for us this year.....

I meant both Lamela and Chadli. Total cost for them two is £39 mil and for only 3 more we could have gone for Ozil, not that he would have definitely agreed to join us....

Just think arsenal are stronger than us with one signing and we are weaker with 7, and getting rid of our best left back we have had in years, probably in my lifetime and replacing him with an average left midfielder who can't defend.

Oh and selling our best attacking player which has weakened us. It's early days but Im not so sure the transfer window was the best one for us this year.....

Unless Ozil can play as a Goalkeeper, central defence or as a holding midfielder, they have not addressed the weaknesses in their squad.

He's a great player but it is window dressing to placate the fans after an appalling summer for them.

Back