• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are you happy with our performances this season?

Are you happy with our performances this season?

• Over the moon

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Very happy

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Happy

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Could do better

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Sack the manager

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
I thought the decision to take off Defoe instead of Dempsey was diabolical. But I am still 100% behind AVB. People need to remember that we have player a number of games without a number of key players whom if fit would be in the team. So we have played badly but we are still 5th in the league, I would have been more concerned if we were 5th from bottom.

We also need to realise that SPurs have not given many great performances in 2012 period. And the manager simply cannot be blamed by some of the pitiful passing and loss of concentration over the last month of two.

Personally at home I would go 442. Defoe and Ade work as a partnership so we should try it. One of the most annoying things about today was that I knew if Wigan scored Ade would come on, so why the fudge did we have to wait until we were behind? And taking off Defoe? ](*,)

I would be far more concerned if we were liverpool.

I am happy with AVB, he needs time.

As bad as that substitution was I still think it was no where near as bad as under Harry, when against Villa he took off VDV and brought on Parker leaving Defoe on the bench when we needed a goal to guarantee 3rd place in the second to last game of the season. People need to remember that

Performances and team selections at home in particular have been poor.

Just for the record I don't agree with Friedel, Gallas, Dempsey or Defoe starting. Results have masked a lot of poor displays.

Performances and team selections at home in particular have been poor.

Just for the record I don't agree with Friedel, Gallas, Dempsey or Defoe starting. Results have masked a lot of poor displays.

Maybe it would have been better if had lost those matches, at least the performances would not be masked right?

As bad as that substitution was I still think it was no where near as bad as under Harry, when against Villa he took off VDV and brought on Parker leaving Defoe on the bench when we needed a goal to guarantee 3rd place in the second to last game of the season. People need to remember that

Just cant agree with that. Down to 10 men away from home, losing that point could have cost us if results went differently on the final day - it could have helped us to 3rd, but imagine if we finished 5th and Chelsea never won the CL. And Parker is a good option if you want someone to pick the team up with a few minutes to go, he has that sort of attitude. It was one of those that seems easy with hindsight.

But anyway, 1 bad decision is not worthy of discussion. Its bad decision after bad decision that is, there is a growing number with AVB and we sacked a manager who had a limited number after 4 years, with it being easy to offset them against good decisions.

Performances are not good enough, even when we win its often boring. Now that doesnt mean that I think AVB is bad (although i think he is a few years early to us) but all I'm doing is saying what has happened so far.

All I ever hear is he likes to press, thats ok... but what about defending (positioning) and attacking. Can someone tell me the general pattern of attacking play that AVB wants us to do to create goals ? At the moment it just seems like individuals doing what they want.

It's not with hindsight though, every Spurs fan at the game and every Spurs fan at home thought "WTF" at the time, we were all over them and that sub killed all momentum in an instant. Harry made bad decision after bad decision too, infact he did it two years running, at the very same stage of the season both times, AVB gets leveled with the "doesn't learn from his mistakes" card, but Harry didn't either. That team should have finished 3rd, it was stronger than RVP FC but Harry took his eye off the ball and for that we are now paying the price. Our special players have left and AVB is taking the blame for it, Spurs fans want and expect top 4 but with a poorer squad. We're in the rebuilding phase, the quicker people get that the better, ofcourse losing to Wigan at home is absolutely tinkle poor but I seem to remember us losing 1-0 at home to them under Saint Harold too.

Maybe it would have been better if had lost those matches, at least the performances would not be masked right?

What idiot would rather we lost? Its a simple point, the results which have on the whole been decent, have hid a lot of poor displays. Why would it be better if we lost?

And just to add... "people need to remember that" - NO ! We really dont. Harry is gone, it is irrelevant. We cant excuse mistakes made by the current manager because the previous manager also did it once. Remember he was sacked, so its no good having a manager that does the same.

And the other difference is we had 4 years of Harry, there are bound to be loads of obvious mistakes in hindsight. We have had 14? games from AVB and already quite a few "discussion points" (using that phrase to be polite). His next 10 games are key, if he goes on and does well we can put it down to a new manager learning about his players. If it doesnt go so well, then it all adds up.

It's not with hindsight though, every Spurs fan at the game and every Spurs fan at home thought "WTF" at the time, we were all over them and that sub killed all momentum in an instant. Harry made bad decision after bad decision too, infact he did it two years running, at the very same stage of the season both times, AVB gets leveled with the "doesn't learn from his mistakes" card, but Harry didn't either. That team should have finished 3rd, it was stronger than RVP FC but Harry took his eye off the ball and for that we are now paying the price. Our special players have left and AVB is taking the blame for it, Spurs fans want and expect top 4 but with a poorer squad. We're in the rebuilding phase, the quicker people get that the better, ofcourse losing to Wigan at home is absolutely tinkle poor but I seem to remember us losing 1-0 at home to them under Saint Harold too.

I understand you are trying to put things into perspective, which is a good idea but today was awful mate. Very very poor. Players didnt seem to care/run and seem to be losing confidence every game.

And just to add... "people need to remember that" - NO ! We really dont. Harry is gone, it is irrelevant. We cant excuse mistakes made by the current manager because the previous manager also did it once. Remember he was sacked, so its no good having a manager that does the same.

And the other difference is we had 4 years of Harry, there are bound to be loads of obvious mistakes in hindsight. We have had 14? games from AVB and already quite a few "discussion points" (using that phrase to be polite). His next 10 games are key, if he goes on and does well we can put it down to a new manager learning about his players. If it doesnt go so well, then it all adds up.

I think that is a fair point. Agree with the post

I understand you are trying to put things into perspective, which is a good idea but today was awful mate. Very very poor. Players didnt seem to care/run and seem to be losing confidence every game.

I don't think it was that they didn't care. More that we were just shorn of confidence, and we didn't have the right blend. The team isn't playing well and hasn't been. Generally it has been the individuals who have pulled it out of the bag for us. But where as last year and the previous years, we have had an excellent team, playing well, we simply don't at the minute.

Losing 2-1 at home to Norwich whilst we were supposed to be fighting to stay above Arsenal was equally poor. I don't think we've been losing confidence with each game, we've been losing more players to injury as each game comes around, that on top of the players we lost in the summer.

If I recall correctly, those that championed AVB said it was all about the team effort (high tempo, fast pressing, quick passing) and that individual players wouldnt make so much diffence.

Well I just cant see that at the moment. I know we have several class players out, but I still cant even notice the semblance of a team performance. Not even in little triangles - Walker, Sandro, Lennon or Verts, Hudd, Bale. We are just all so many strangers at present with no running off the ball at all.

Quite simply, the opposite is true. HR had great backing from people who actually pay to watch the football we play. If you use this forum as evidence, those that don't attend wanted HR out. After your bizarre PMs to me I really wonder about you and your lack of ability to trade off good v bad and take a sensible conclusion.

Anyway, it's done. We are paying for this mistake in the short term, lets hope long term it works out.

Untrue in my experience.

As for your mention of our PM exchange, what do you wonder? What do you mean? What are you trying to say? There was nothing bizarre at all about my PMs. You just got sad that I stopped 'playing' your game, and decided to declare a 'victory' in our 'discussion' based on my ceasing to PM you...now that's bizarre my friend!
:lol:

Untrue in my experience.

As for your mention of our PM exchange, what do you wonder? What do you mean? What are you trying to say? There was nothing bizarre at all about my PMs. You just got sad that I stopped 'playing' your game, and decided to declare a 'victory' in our 'discussion' based on my ceasing to PM you...now that's bizarre my friend!
:lol:

Yes. You sent me a PM and then refused to reply to me about the subject. You sent over 10 PMs related to anything other than the subject. I declared victory because you were replying without replying, so I said "well if you wont back up your warped opinion, then I guess you agree with me... if not tell me why not" ... yet all I got was abuse back, so I politely told you to only PM if you want to discuss the subject you PM'd me about. Im fully happy to put the whole exchange (even the petty parts) on the forum to kick off a discussion about it if you are ?

As for what I wonder... well its basically me wondering what the point is. I cant work out why you expect others to ignore the whole evidence and only concentrate on the small part that backs up your pre-conceived idea. Genuinely dont understand it.

And just to add, if certain people could spot cluelessness under HR, where has your ability gone to spot it under AVB?

Villa away was clueless... ok, it really wasn't, but lets take the so called clueless moments from that game and then apply them to AVB and see if he has been guilty of the exact same thing...

Oh no-one's denying AVB hasn't made some daft decisions, but for you to deny that Villa away last season was clueless is as puzzling as my 'bizarre' PMs to you!!!!! Are you seriously going to try and tell me it wasn't a clueless match?

Anyway, am I happy with our performances this season? It's a question which needs context. There are aspects which please me greatly, there aspects which disappoint me greatly, but the one thing I will do is give him time and a season before I throw any books at him.His injury list is appalling, and unlike his predecessor, he is having to deal with having the heart of the side ripped out and sold.

Yes. You sent me a PM and then refused to reply to me about the subject. You sent over 10 PMs related to anything other than the subject. I declared victory because you were replying without replying, so I said "well if you wont back up your warped opinion, then I guess you agree with me... if not tell me why not" ... yet all I got was abuse back, so I politely told you to only PM if you want to discuss the subject you PM'd me about. Im fully happy to put the whole exchange (even the petty parts) on the forum to kick off a discussion about it if you are ?

As for what I wonder... well its basically me wondering what the point is. I cant work out why you expect others to ignore the whole evidence and only concentrate on the small part that backs up your pre-conceived idea. Genuinely dont understand it.

I sent you 7 PMs. Not 10. In an exchange where I repeatedly addressed the principle questions you had asked but which you failed to either gauge or acknowledge. You actually said you had made a 'clown shoe' of me. There is nothing polite about that whatsoever. I did not insult you. I told you quite firmly that if you wanted to think of it as 'victory' you should trumpet it to the entire board publicly, before saying I could not be arsed to discuss the topic any further because you did not know how to have a discussion.

If you wish to take it further, complain to a mod and show them the PMs you received from me.
I have them.

And finally some advice...if you want to do what I was trying to avoid in the first place and drag the entire forum through our attempted conversation, tell the whole story.

Oh no-one's denying AVB hasn't made some daft decisions, but for you to deny that Villa away last season was clueless is as puzzling as my 'bizarre' PMs to you!!!!! Are you seriously going to try and tell me it wasn't a clueless match?

Anyway, am I happy with our performances this season? It's a question which needs context. There are aspects which please me greatly, there aspects which disappoint me greatly, but the one thing I will do is give him time and a season before I throw any books at him.His injury list is appalling, and unlike his predecessor, he is having to deal with having the heart of the side ripped out and sold.

Out of interest, which aspects please you greatly ?

Giving him a season is not related to calling it how you see it now. I think performances have generally been brick, absolutely terrible, but I would like to give him a season if he can keep the same points per game ratio up.

And come on, "unlike his predecessor"... compare where we were when Harry took over compared to AVB, now THAT is the most bizarre statement out of all our accusations of bizarreness!!

Daglish described AVB as the luckiest manager ever when he joined Spurs, even with the loss of Modric he said what a brilliant job it was given the squad. And I use this Daglish example as he is someone who you suggested doesnt comment like Harry does in the press.

Out of interest, which aspects please you greatly ?

Giving him a season is not related to calling it how you see it now. I think performances have generally been brick, absolutely terrible, but I would like to give him a season if he can keep the same points per game ratio up.

And come on, "unlike his predecessor"... compare where we were when Harry took over compared to AVB, now THAT is the most bizarre statement out of all our accusations of bizarreness!!

Daglish described AVB as the luckiest manager ever when he joined Spurs, even with the loss of Modric he said what a brilliant job it was given the squad. And I use this Daglish example as he is someone who you suggested doesnt comment like Harry does in the press.

I will absolutely answer this in detail a little later. Happy to discuss this with you indeed. It does deserve some analysis so I will be onto it later...

***Removed***. I'll "act the mod" even if you are going to tell blatant lies in your above post.

And to get back to the performances discussion... trying to think what is pleasing about our performances...

...really struggling. Reading away was one of the best away performances I have seen from us in the PL, but apart from that there isnt much we are doing consistently well. We definitely arent pressing well even if AVB wants us to.

A lot of average parts amongst the bad. Not a lot stands out for me.

Last edited:
Back