• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are we out of the title race?

After losing to City, are we out of the title race?

• Yes, we're out of the title race

Votes: 51 60.7%
  • No, we can still win it

Votes: 33 39.3%

• Total voters
I believe that we're 99% out of the title race barring a massive City collapse. 8 points is a big gap to bridge, especially when we still have away to Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to go.

I dont think we are just yet BUT my focus is now on 3rd maybe 2nd whereas before this week it was title.

The only reason I say second is still on is because we are playing Manure soon having said that they could be much further adrift come that game.

I dont think we are just yet BUT my focus is now on 3rd maybe 2nd whereas before this week it was title.

The only reason I say second is still on is because we are playing Manure soon having said that they could be much further adrift come that game.

Agree with this. Still think 2nd is possible but really 3rd would be massive and more than we probably could have dreamed of during the summer. I do though hope both Utd and City do us a favour by beating up chelsea, Pool and Arsenal. But really we just have to do what we can to pick up points. About going to Pool and Arsenal and being confident we can get good points.

You kinda have to be in it before you can be out of it. It's going to be a tough ask to finish in the CL places nevermind with the pipe dream that we actually were challenging.

If we don't win it I really want United to win it just for the agony it will cause City and Liverpool fans.

You kinda have to be in it before you can be out of it. It's going to be a tough ask to finish in the CL places nevermind with the pipe dream that we actually were challenging.

It is a sad indictment of the game today when the 3rd or 4th best team in the league on paper are written off as no-hopers for the title.

We're out of it now for the simple reason that we need a complete collapse from City AND United. We were in the race before today, no need to be overly pessimist but you have to be realistic. We're still in the cup and have a v good chance of finishing in the CL places which was always the main aim.

We need this match to be our Pompey in the semi-final moment. Still a lot of work to do and we can't mope about feeling sorry for ourselves.

I am looking forward to the Manchester derby; either way one of those two will drop points. As we've seen this season it's likelu that they will lose points in games when they're expected to win too. I'd like to think we can finish the season nearer 2nd than we are to Arsenal.

We're out of it now for the simple reason that we need a complete collapse from City AND United. We were in the race before today, no need to be overly pessimist but you have to be realistic. We're still in the cup and have a v good chance of finishing in the CL places which was always the main aim.

We need this match to be our Pompey in the semi-final moment. Still a lot of work to do and we can't mope about feeling sorry for ourselves.

Considering we have to play United at home, if we win that we need to make up 2 points in 15 games (probably 3 due to GD). I wouldn't say that is a complete collapse! Admittedly we need City to hit a bad patch but that isn't out of the question. I'm just trying to enjoy the possibility while it's still there lol!

In an ideal world we snatch it on the last day of the season after City are docked 10 points because of CCTV footage indicating that Balotelli had shat through the letterbox of the FA, with United needing to win against Sunderland on the last day. Fulham put in an abject display and we coast to victory 5-0 as Nicklas Bendtner runs riot with a hat-trick against United to hand us the title which Ledley lifts to the tune of Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur and the beaming smile of Martin Jol...

need an absolute miracle. even going 11-3-2 from here which is about as wildly optimistic as i can be given the away games we have left would only get us to 82. surely gonna need mid to late 80s this season.

If you offered me 3rd now, I would take it. Give us a good run in the FA Cup (ie win it) and then build for a real title push in the summer.

In answer to the question, I don't think we are completely out of it, but we shouldn't be thinking about it. Just keep doing what we do and see where we end up.

tbh, i never thought we were in it. close but not quite. 3 years ago, maybe..but city's dirty money has distorted things particularly in terms of depth of squad. now, we are probably a couple of players away from a genuine challenge & that is a fantastic achievement.

Put out a mixture of first XI and reserves against Watford and after three more games in the league things will begin to look a lot clearer. We could probably put a bit more focus on the cup, but there's still a lot of work to be done to secure CL.

edit: just realised there's a midweek round in the league next week as well.

Last edited:
We have some very tough away games coming up so I doubt it would be any easier from now on.

Nonetheless 3rd would be a massive achievment for us behind City and Utd considering our resources and the football we've played. It would also put in the CL directly without having to qaulify first (and have the real possibility of being knocked out). One step at a time, guys.

Last edited:
We're not out of it yet. But we probably need to be no further behind than now, and hopefully a bit closer to City after our tough run ends. Most likely that means getting at least 6-7 points from the Liverpool, Arsenal and Manu games and beating Wigan and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

A tough task, but not an impossible one. Even with players missing and not being in their best form that City team is a very good side. We will have the (imo) crucial Adebayor ready for those games and if we perform as we did against City it's possible, although not likely.

Am I the only one on here who would gladly sacrifice a decent cup run in favour of a top 3 place. To finish in 3rd would be more than most of us expected at the beginning of the season, to get a top 2 let alone win the thing would be an achievement beyond anyone's expectations.

I'll settle for winning the league and saying stuff the FA Cup, 3rd and no FA Cup would be fine as well.

If we were really close to 1st I'd say stuff the FA cup, but don't think we can hope for more than 2nd now and that would probably mean City winning the league :eek:. Getting to Wembley and finishing 3rd is more than doable. After Watford it's only 2 more games before we'd be in the semis.

Yes we're still in the race, no I don't think we'll win it. I'll never think we'll win it until we're 4 points clear with one game left. Even then I still reckon we'd find some way to balls it up.

Back