• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I'm simply responding to Raziel who is questioning why Conte needs years to put together a team that can challenge for the big trophies. It is because building the squad and then getting a first team comparable to the best in the PL WILL take years with the plan that the club are working to.

Be fair. What’s another 20 years, for goodness sake?

You don't need a first XI man for man to be comparable with the best teams in order to compete - if you have a good team that clicks with the manager & his style of play which performs to greater than the sum of it's parts then you will compete. Potentially with a good summer bringing in CBs & GK we could be there - though i think it may be a year early to think about really challenging.

You don't need a first XI man for man to be comparable with the best teams in order to compete - if you have a good team that clicks with the manager & his style of play which performs to greater than the sum of it's parts then you will compete. Potentially with a good summer bringing in CBs & GK we could be there - though i think it may be a year early to think about really challenging.
Exactly, the Goons this season have shown that. Helps that the club is United there now as well, unfortunately our fan base is a mess at the moment.

Exactly, the Goons this season have shown that. Helps that the club is United there now as well, unfortunately our fan base is a mess at the moment.

Trust me the goon fan base has been in tatters up until a few games into the season.

Helps that the club have no distractions off the pitch like we have with conte in or out, paratici conviction or not etc

Trust me the goon fan base has been in tatters up until a few games into the season.

Helps that the club have no distractions off the pitch like we have with conte in or out, paratici conviction or not etc
Nah, they have the Partey stuff as well hanging over them, they just don’t have their fan base calling for their owners out, or a toxic atmosphere at home games all season.

I expect they'll play the kids in Europe and only focus on the league now.
Should do but I think Arteta is too proud to field a 'weak' side. I'd expect him to mix it up with 3 or 4 changes to the usual starting 11, no more than that.

Fully agree.

That greater than the sum of the parts should always be a target imo. It doesn't require world class players in every position (though a couple of them obviously helps).

It does usually require all the players to be good fits for the system though. Even just one kinda misfit in a system makes it really hard for the whole to function at a better than the sum of the parts level.

Also requires a squad that similarly works as a whole, unless just ridiculously lucky with injuries, no CL football etc.

I think we're working well towards that, but it takes time. I agree with your assessment of the time frame too.

If you haven't got a big squad though you cannot compete on all fronts. No team outside the top 4 or 5 have won a trophy and finished in the top 4 in the same season except Leicester who focused on only the PL).

Huge result today. Win in a big game. Starting to put together what could turn out to be a little bit of a streak both of results and clean sheets.

Things coming together nicely at last?

Huge result today. Win in a big game. Starting to put together what could turn out to be a little bit of a streak both of results and clean sheets.

Keep the players fit and focussed no reason we can't go on a good run. Think this will give them confidence.

Last edited:

So to be fair to him, fully fit team and a week to prepare (We have seen this before)

Couple of notes from the game today

- We did a bit of man marking (Romero had Haaland, Dier looked like he had Silva), and they followed them all the way out, different for us
- Royal did the tuck into midfield with Deki our wide and for 5-10 minutes in 2nd half, actually swapped with Perisic
- Son did a lot more defending alongside/in front Perisic
- Pressing in moments, other times, happy to sit back, but the goal was a good example of full team pushing up and being more on front foot.

Looked coached today, nice to see ..

So to be fair to him, fully fit team and a week to prepare (We have seen this before)

- We did a bit of man marking (Romero had Haaland, Dier looked like he had Silva), and they followed them all the way out, different for us
- Royal did the tuck into midfield with Deki our wide and for 5-10 minutes in 2nd half, actually swapped with Perisic
- Pressing in moments, other times, happy to sit back, but the goal was a good example of full team pushing up and being more on front foot.

Are you saying that Conte's absence all week, enabled others to coach a completely different system?

More time to prepare helps. All of our best and most important players back and getting back to match fitness helps. Not handing away an early goal definitely helps.

All we saw yesterday is quite similar to what we've seen when good earlier in the season. But we've been so inconsistent, and particularly poor in first halves.

Playing City obviously suits us, let's see how we get on in games where the game conditions are different when though the opponents aren't as good. But another very positive step for sure.

Will be interesting to see how he manages the squad in games coming up, what with the FA CUp and CL too.

At least we dont have a backlog of PL games to complicate things more

Yeah, will be interesting to see. We can't be in a situation where we can't deal with two games a week.

Just hope we avoid too many injuries for players where we don't have the best cover.

Yeah, will be interesting to see. We can't be in a situation where we can't deal with two games a week.

Just hope we avoid too many injuries for players where we don't have the best cover.

Yes, though we're slowly getting past that and getting more depth.

Hopefully with a couple CB additions this summer, and players like Bisouma and Sarr settling in more, we shoudl be able to be in good shape for next season

will be crossing fingers for the next 3-4 months though as you say

That performance was much more like what we’d become used to in the 2nd half of last season. Solid defensively and dangerous on the counter.

I’m quite excited by the rest of the season now! It’s that damn Spurs hope and despair cycle at work again!

Back