• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

I'm reading this nonsense even more now....looool oh man...he's not PL standard, should be playing for QPR, only 2 good games this season for England.

Please people....go back to a large chunk of our games earlier this season (either watch the game if you can or look at the player ratings threads). Numerous motm performances....all forgotten now and history is rewritten :ross:

This. Even in Sherwoods first few games against West Ham in the cup on the left he was our best player and a threat all night. I think when he comes on as a substitue he must be told to go and get some shots and change the game. But when he starts a match he seems more tempered in what he is doing.

Even when his shooting is all over the place and he is not picking out a pass the opposition still have to account for him and his pace. It backs them off and it opens up space for others. So he has an affect on the play of the game even if he is not playing well.

I'm reading this nonsense even more now....looool oh man...he's not PL standard, should be playing for QPR, only 2 good games this season for England.

Please people....go back to a large chunk of our games earlier this season (either watch the game if you can or look at the player ratings threads). Numerous motm performances....all forgotten now and history is rewritten :ross:

MotM in a pile of ****e doesn't necessarily make him good but I do agree with your overall sentiment.

Totally agree, prime example Danny Rose first few games back after his injury I thought he looked shocking and I was ****ging off his crossing. Last couple of games I think he has been fantastic and his crossing has improved.

Townsend needs a run in the side, but I'm not sure if he gonna get it

Off topic:
There is no way Danny Rose's defensive performance in the last few matches can be described as "fantastic"!

Just to prove a point...

Swansea (home) match ratings = Got a 7 or above from everyone..a few gave him motm
Arsenal (Away) match ratings = Was our highest rated player bar Lloris.
Cardiff (away) match ratings = Most had him as a 7. Good performance.
Chelsea (home) match ratings = Was our motm by most.
West Sham (home) match ratings = Was our highest rated player by most.
Aston Villa (away) match ratings = our highest rated player by most..MOTM.
Hull (home) match ratings = Again...one of our better players.

Then he got injured. As i said, i pay no attention to some of the stuff people spout on here when a player isn't in good form.

KD, I don't think that match ratings are a reliable way of judging a players performance or ability. I think that a lot of people give scores on reputation or follow the crowd.

KD, I don't think that match ratings are a reliable way of judging a players performance or ability. I think that a lot of people give scores on reputation or follow the crowd.

Fairly big assumption there Milo, what makes you think that?

I guess at the start of the season he was looked at as a youth product coming off a good loan spell and given high ratings because he tries to make things happen, but the problem is that nothing ever happens. He either runs straight into an opponent or blasts it into the stands. I made the point last season that he played for a **** QPR team that had lots of space to counter attack and would naturally look better playing for them. His decision making has been **** poor all season, his shooting is worse than Defoe and he contributes virtually nothing to the team, it's just that more people finally see him for what he actually is.

I guess at the start of the season he was looked at as a youth product coming off a good loan spell and given high ratings because he tries to make things happen, but the problem is that nothing ever happens. He either runs straight into an opponent or blasts it into the stands. I made the point last season that he played for a **** QPR team that had lots of space to counter attack and would naturally look better playing for them. His decision making has been **** poor all season, his shooting is worse than Defoe and he contributes virtually nothing to the team, it's just that more people finally see him for what he actually is.

TBF your reliability of casting a fair and balanced opinion of Townsend is similar to mine regarding Invisibilinho. We might try to be 'fair' but evidently our strong dislike of the players abilities/performances wins over.

Fairly big assumption there Milo, what makes you think that?

The internet (and message boards) are an echo chamber. You often see opinions become accepted fact and then repeated by many posters.

Besides, there are all sorts of things that can colour peoples' opinions and result in higher or lower scores.

I think that there is a natural tendency to over rate young players and particularly home grown players.

There is often a backlash after a new players honeymoon period is over, when flaws in a players game will be repeatedly highlighted and scores will be lower than a performance may merit as a result.

I think that match scores given immediately after a game are likely to be unreliable because they are given in the heat of the moment. You only have to skim through an OMT to see that objectivity and balance are in short supply.

You have people who give scores without watching the game or who have watched a game on a dodgy stream. I think that anyone who has spent the whole game posting in an OMT can't have watched a game properly, so their match scores are pretty unreliable.

That's off the top of my head but there are plenty of other reasons why match ratings aren't a great barometer of a player.

There is a big tendency to overrate new signings or foreign players with fancy sounding names...much more than home grown players imo. Before it may have been the case to overrate the young/home grown players but that isn't the case anymore.

I also feel 'heat of the moment' match scores are more reliable than someone assessing a players performance months later (especially when said player is apparently not playing well).

There is a big tendency to overrate new signings or foreign players with fancy sounding names...much more than home grown players imo. Before it may have been the case to overrate the young/home grown players but that isn't the case anymore.

I also feel 'heat of the moment' match scores are more reliable than someone assessing a players performance months later (especially when said player is apparently not playing well).

I have to agree with kd here, especially as the match performances are the only time we can really rate how the players are at all.

It's not like we get to see how they perform in training or anything else..

I pay no attention to what anyone on here writes when a player is in bad form. Instead, i look at the player ratings threads earlier this season when he was was constantly getting our motm awards (and that's by some of the same people who are now writing him off). Now apparently he's never been that good etc etc.

1. I don't think I've ever given Townsend anything approaching a MOTM ranking. And the fact others (by which we are probably talking 20-30 of the many members on here) rated him highly in a few games is to me evidence of nothing more than the fact that his head-down, multi-step-over, blind alley style of play flatters to deceive. As I said, emperor's new clothes. What you're saying is 'but lots of people said they liked the emperor's clothes'.
2. I don't know what his assists, cross completion and goal stats are this season, but i am guessing they would compare unfavourably to his counterparts in other top 6 teams. If that's right, given these were (apparently) his MOTM performances, that puts matters in a degree of context.
3. I bet we can dig up a few games where Gomes was MOTM. Maybe he's actually better than his doubters think.

Townsend was certainly our best player in the West Ham(not much competition), Chelsea and Villa matches. I agree with milo's "echo chamber" line, remember GB constantly repeating that Christian Eriksen is overrated/rubbish/poor man's Sigurdsson and he'd managed to brainwash you all into thinking the same way? Overall though I think the match rating threads are a decent barometer to use, some will have their favourites, some will vote on emotion but with 30 oddd ratings there will be a somewhat reliable correlation to what actually happened on the field.

Townsend was certainly our best player in the West Ham(not much competition), Chelsea and Villa matches. I agree with milo's "echo chamber" line, remember GB constantly repeating that Christian Eriksen is overrated/rubbish/poor man's Sigurdsson and he'd managed to brainwash you all into thinking the same way? Overall though I think the match rating threads are a decent barometer to use, some will have their favourites, some will vote on emotion but with 30 oddd ratings there will be a somewhat reliable correlation to what actually happened on the field.

i don't think that 30 people isn't enough to even out bias or the echo chamber effect.

i don't think that 30 people isn't enough to even out bias or the echo chamber effect.

I don't know about you but I don't read other ratings before posting my own, even if I did I wouldn't think "oh I thought Townsend was good but no one else did so I'll knock him down a few points", I imagine most are the same.

I don't know about you but I don't read other ratings before posting my own, even if I did I wouldn't think "oh I thought Townsend was good but no one else did so I'll knock him down a few points", I imagine most are the same.

That's not really what I meant. People's scoring can be influenced by other people's comments or what has been picked up on in previous matches. Not just in the ratings thread but any thread.

Andros Townsend took delivery of his first four full England caps today...

A6531_zps37da5ace.jpg

...hopefully, there will be plenty more to come.

Off topic:
There is no way Danny Rose's defensive performance in the last few matches can be described as "fantastic"!

Compared to what they were like when he first came back from his injury I would say they are fantastic. His crossing gets passed the first man now

I think everyone on this board will agree his shooting at best is pretty poor

His crossing ability is even worse in my opinion..

recently he hasnt been able to complete a simple pass...

Unlike Lennon he is defensivley inept, Cardif showed him up and he left Fryers exposed many times

He may look exciting running with the ball but he consistently makes the wrong choice and or fails to have an end product for the vast majority of positions he gets himself into....

I believe he was rated so highly to begin with because he was a breath of fresh air ini a turgid AVB team.... these days, although we are not playing much better a few on here are seeing him as pretty average at best, my self included!

I would sell while his stock is still up in the summer! Chadli for me looks more promising

Back