• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Official - Townsend

@physioroom: #Townsend World Cup hopes hang in the balance as the #Spurs winger is expected to miss between 4-6 weeks with ankle ligament damage

@WhoScored: Andros Townsend: Only Redmond has a worse conversion rate than Townsend (1.8%) of the 259 players to have scored a PL goal this season

Unfortunate for the lad but he has being playing like someone who was desperately trying to 'shine' and get picked in the squad since his injury. Wrong decisions in possession most of the time IMO.

Unfortunate for the lad but he has being playing like someone who was desperately trying to 'shine' and get picked in the squad since his injury. Wrong decisions in possession most of the time IMO.

Yeah, with the form of players like Sterling, Lallana etc he wouldn't have been going even if fit imo.

On a positive not he's stepped up a level this season, he's shown that he can be useful for us. Hopefully he will step up another level next season under whoever our manager is.

If someone like FdB comes in with a real focus on attacking team play and thinks he's good enough I'm hopeful we could see Townsend's decision making improve fairly quickly.

He should look at the development of someone like Sterling and try to emulate that.

Yeah, with the form of players like Sterling, Lallana etc he wouldn't have been going even if fit imo.

On a positive not he's stepped up a level this season, he's shown that he can be useful for us. Hopefully he will step up another level next season under whoever our manager is.

If someone like FdB comes in with a real focus on attacking team play and thinks he's good enough I'm hopeful we could see Townsend's decision making improve fairly quickly.

He should look at the development of someone like Sterling and try to emulate that.

I hope you're right, because this is the guys biggest issue and it's a glaring one at that. If he can't improve his awareness and decision making his career may have already reached it's high point.

One player who split opinions here is Andros Townsend. I pondered whether he had the football intelligence to be a great player. AVB showed that with effective coaching, he could be quite a weapon. I felt that he was starting to develop some extra dimensions to his play before the wheels started coming off the wagon and he got the first of his injuries.

I wonder if Poch will be the guy who can bring him back? Because he wants it, he absolutely wants it does Andros THAT'S for sure! I hope Poch can get the lad to fulfil what we started to see…it would be like another signing.

there are a lot of Andros admirers on here. I'm not one I'm afraid. He wouldn't get into the first teams at Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool or United. Given we are trying to better two of those teams to attain CL football, I don't see that being done with Andros as a first choice player.
Squad player at best for me.

He has the raw attributes to do well. I just think he needs some solid coaching to improve his game further. I'm not for or against Andros, but I certainly haven't written him off quite as quickly as others on here.

From twitter

I bet Aaron Lennon is devastated with the thought that he might be developed. Has managed to avoid any of that for the past decade.

I personally think people are too quick to write off certain players. Let's see what he can do with proper coaching and a proper system of play. He has the tools he needs to develop how he uses them. I'm hoping MP can have a big impact on our youth players

What he lacks in awareness and decision making is too much to be taught at his age I think. Expecting him to leave this summer.

What he lacks in awareness and decision making is too much to be taught at his age I think. Expecting him to leave this summer.

This is the major question.

It was a doubt I had last summer when he was nearly off, and had Bale been kept he would've been off…but I saw glimpses of huge progress in the dept you speak of before injuries, etc…we shall see…it is definitely the major question...

i think he is good enough to be a solid squad player for us (for the rest of his career). but if we want to break the top 4, players of his calibre cannot start for us. he's 22 now, and will be 23 in a couple months time. i think jordinho is right. he's too old to massively improve now.

he's fully homegrown. for that reason, i would keep him around.

i think he is good enough to be a solid squad player for us (for the rest of his career). but if we want to break the top 4, players of his calibre cannot start for us. he's 22 now, and will be 23 in a couple months time. i think jordinho is right. he's too old to massively improve now.

he's fully homegrown. for that reason, i would keep him around.

Yet everyone is hailing Lambert's improvement at 32 to Pochettino so surely at 23 Poch can get some improvement from Andros.

Yet everyone is hailing Lambert's improvement at 32 to Pochettino so surely at 23 Poch can get some improvement from Andros.

the kind of improvement seen in lambert is relatively more common tho. you do see a handful of players from the lower leagues reach the premier league in their late 20's. ie. grant holt. we want townsend to push on and become willian, walcott etc. townsend has been with us for a long time now and hes almost 23. you just don't see players of this age make the kind of improvement we would want, if he were to be a starter for us.

having said that, i think townsend can improve. and also if he can make his game suit us more, he can be a very useful weapon.

You are obviously too young to remember Ian Wright at 22 when he signed for Crystal Palace and how he was coached by Steve Coppell. Wrighty owes his career to Coppell because he taught him so much. It was Coppell that taught Wright how to read the game as a striker and about awareness in and around the box.

If Townsend is ready to learn he has time on his side, it is up to him

Look at Jordan Henderson now and compare him to the player he was 2 years ago. He has improved drastically with the right coaching under his manager.

Look at Aaron Ramsey now at 24 and compare him to the play he was 2 years ago. He is now arguable Arsenal's most important player. This change was really done over the past year, further proof it is ridiculous to right off Townsend at this stage.

Back