• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Villas-Boas said: "My responsibility is to lift the players, there is always another game coming. We have to give a response in the Europa League."

No. You just don't get it. You'll do it again, you'll put far too much resource into a meaningless game on Thursday and we'll suffer the consequences against Utd. I couldn't give a flying **** what the score is on Thursday, we're already through!
Play the U21s on Thursday, while you work with the first team on how they beat Man U.

Yeah, it's not like beating Tromsø with a couple of goals on Thursday will prove anything. They're a **** side, probably mid table League One-level, and it's going to be cold as ****. Send Freund and the kids, there is just no point ruining yet another Sunday game for a pointless Europa League game.

If you could sack AVB and immediately replace him with Redknapp, would you? And how much money would you give him to spend?

Redknapp shouldn't have gone in the first place. But I don't think you should go back, so no I don't think I'd reappoint him.

How much money would I give a new manger? Initially nothing, don't need to. First we need to put the great players we have into a structure which gets the most out of them. Play some expansive attacking football and reassess in the summer.

The worst thing about yesterday was at the final whistle when the cameras zoomed into AVB-he literally just stood their frozen for a minute or so and looked absolutely clueless he seemed like a broke man-he's supposed to be our leader,our talisman the guy the players look for guidance in situations like this-what message does that send out to your staff when your on the touchline after a thrashing looking sobby and dejected. The guy has no man management skills- he clueless.

He's hardly an intellectual. He's into football and fast cars. He's upper middle class though.
I don't see any reason why his team hasn't gelled yet and haven't looked like gelling for a season and half. Only 3 of the players that started yesterday were new players. Emirates Marketing Project had 4.

The question people should be asking is was he just lucky to become Porto manager at that time with Falcao and Moutinho.
If he wants the fans to back him I think he needs to reveal his long term plan for the club and the way he wants us to play.
Its up to him now to step up and show why he's getting paid the big bucks.

Not so sure about the upper bit at all. You say it as if there's something wrong with that though?

Come off it Scara, people aren't critisizing him because they think he's intellectual. They're being critical because of the way we're performing. It's as simple as that.

If it was 'old wide boy 'Arry' (who isn't know to be particularly intellectual) managing the team with these performances he would also be critisized.

I really believe you're reading too much into it.

I think there are quite a few fans (many of them on here) who will always be distrustful of 'thinkers' and much more comfortable in the hands of a good old-fashioned 'geezer' in the dinosaur style of English managers.

Performances like yesterday should be criticised no matter who the manager is, but for many this is just an opportunity to get rid of that guy who does that weird scary thing with that thing inside his head.

Why must it always be about his intellect? His intellect doesn't even come in to it for me.

Not all our fans who want AVB gone are Neanderthals, I'm far from one. I want him gone for reasons that I've cited elsewhere; our performances are awful, we look disjointed and clueless both in attack and defence,and I really can't see us improving. AVB has been here over a year now and yet, the problems of the team remain.

Perhaps we could give time to AVB but my lack of confidence in him leaves me fearing what will happen if we do. We'll have an exodus of our players and will continue to regress. Perhaps now it's not too late for a different manager to save our season.

The problem is likely to be whether AVB has lost the players trust or not. Clearly some players are not happy- dembele and Verts to name 2 that have spoken out ADE as well.

If they don't want to play for him, If they don't trust he can turn it round then AVB is done for.

Thursday night he'll play a full side to get an erection inducing result but it might already to be too late for him sadly

it might already to be too late for him sadly

He did look hapless at the final whistle. If he can turn it around, then he will stay, but I suspect that yesterday was a bridge too far for AVB. If we keep him we are paying big bucks for a young manager to learn his trade, and I doubt that either we as fans or Levy as a Chairman, have that patience. My head says that he is gone and that the next games will be painful - but who knows?

If he keeps his job it is because he is making the team play as a successful unit, scoring and winning, simple as that. But if he fails: who on earth is there to replace him. Freund? You can bet the Chairman and Director of Football will be having that conversation today.

Why must it always be about his intellect? His intellect doesn't even come in to it for me.

Not all our fans who want AVB gone are Neanderthals, I'm far from one. I want him gone for reasons that I've cited elsewhere; our performances are awful, we look disjointed and clueless both in attack and defence,and I really can't see us improving. AVB has been here over a year now and yet, the problems of the team remain.

Perhaps we could give time to AVB but my lack of confidence in him leaves me fearing what will happen if we do. We'll have an exodus of our players and will continue to regress. Perhaps now it's not too late for a different manager to save our season.

I don't think that's the reason with you, but others have been very poor at hiding their prejudice.

If you could sack AVB and immediately replace him with Redknapp, would you? And how much money would you give him to spend?

No because Redknapp deserved to go due to him thinking about himself and nothing else the last 6 months of his stint.

I will make it clear now that i wouldn't want Pochettino replacing AVB either. People are fascinated by these young managers that are meant to be tactically astute but most simply overthink things (it's working for Southampton now i agree but still). We have a squad of prima donnas (although not as bad as before tbh) so i'd rather we go for a disciplinarian that will find it easy to get his point across...clear instructions...and above all else someone that will get us playing football again.

No because Redknapp deserved to go due to him thinking about himself and nothing else the last 6 months of his stint.

I will make it clear now that i wouldn't want Pochettino replacing AVB either. People are fascinated by these young managers that are meant to be tactically astute but most simply overthink things (it's working for Southampton now i agree but still). We have a squad of prima donnas (although not as bad as before tbh) so i'd rather we go for a disciplinarian that will find it easy to get his point across...clear instructions...and above all else someone that will get us playing football again.

Any names in mind?

Scaramanga always making it about class...always going on as if there's some sort of hidden agenda when in reality it's to do with everything we've seen on the pitch. Who gives a toss if AVB is intellectual? the funny thing was i specifically remember a lot of his comments regarding Redknapp being that he was rather thick so in reality the only one that's making this some sort of middle class/working class divide is Scaramanga himself.

Any names in mind?

No to be honest but i wouldn't be so hasty to totally dismiss Capello being manager. I think the notion that he plays boring football is exaggerated on here (and in England in general) to a ridiculous level.
In an ideal world i would LOVE Guus Hiddink but not sure if that's something that could happen.

Scaramanga always making it about class...always going on as if there's some sort of hidden agenda when in reality it's to do with everything we've seen on the pitch. Who gives a toss if AVB is intellectual? the funny thing was i specifically remember a lot of his comments regarding Redknapp being that he was rather thick so in reality the only one that's making this some sort of middle class/working class divide is Scaramanga himself.

I've already openly admitted that I have an inherent distrust of the fat and the stupid. I also reserve a particular dislike for those who intentionally act even more stupid than their already incredibly low starting point.

If others could be so honest about the reasons they have an inherent dislike of AVB then it might make discussions around here easier.

I've already openly admitted that I have an inherent distrust of the fat and the stupid. I also reserve a particular dislike for those who intentionally act even more stupid than their already incredibly low starting point.

If others could be so honest about the reasons they have an inherent dislike of AVB then it might make discussions around here easier.

Just because you have a warped way of thinking where you make judgments on a persons character based on how he puts a sentence together, spelling, grammar etc etc doesn't mean everyone else does. Anyone that judges a manager based on their class is a macaron imo.

Just because you have a warped way of thinking where you make judgments on a persons character based on how he puts a sentence together, spelling, grammar etc etc doesn't mean everyone else does. Anyone that judges a manager based on their class is a macaron imo.

I said nothing about any of that, I said I distrust the stupid. There are plenty of intelligent people who struggle with spelling and grammar.

I agree fully with the bolded bit - it's a shame more people around here don't.

Talksport had Clive Allen on this morning and he was saying how AVB seems to be trying make the players fit into his system, rather than finding a system to fit the players he's got.

Neil Warnock (ok he is a manager dinosaur but I have found him to be very honest and talk sense) totally agreed and said you never do that and it could be down to AVB being a young less experienced manager.

We need to remember AVB will be learning from his mistakes, and I keep bringing it up but its because I think its one of his best attributes AVB normally does fix problems, the players were tired from the training in the first pre-season under AVB, so he changed it, Gallas started the first few games under AVB, his form was shocking and he got dropped. We conceded a number late goals AVB talked to the team and we got it fixed.

I'm hoping and praying AVB see's that just because we have control of games doesn't mean we will win, we have to stop trying to play everything through the middle

Not so sure about the upper bit at all. You say it as if there's something wrong with that though?

AVB's grandfather was a viscount. His family is as old money as they come.
There's nothing else to suggest he's an intellectual. He hasn't been to any third level education. What the difference between him and Hodgson if not for social class?

AVB's grandfather was a viscount. His family is as old money as they come.
There's nothing else to suggest he's an intellectual. He hasn't been to any third level education. What the difference between him and Hodgson if not for social class?

More to the point what does it matter ...

Talksport had Clive Allen on this morning and he was saying how AVB seems to be trying make the players fit into his system, rather than finding a system to fit the players he's got.

Neil Warnock (ok he is a manager dinosaur but I have found him to be very honest and talk sense) totally agreed and said you never do that and it could be down to AVB being a young less experienced manager.

We need to remember AVB will be learning from his mistakes, and I keep bringing it up but its because I think its one of his best attributes AVB normally does fix problems, the players were tired from the training in the first pre-season under AVB, so he changed it, Gallas started the first few games under AVB, his form was shocking and he got dropped. We conceded a number late goals AVB talked to the team and we got it fixed.

I'm hoping and praying AVB see's that just because we have control of games doesn't mean we will win, we have to stop trying to play everything through the middle

The commentary I watched had Clive as co commentator. He kept on talking about attacking football and the spurs DNA. He was no fan of AVB.

Back