• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

There is one thing that is intriguing - what do you think Levy or Joe Lewis is thinking? like in all seriousness. I know we can only speculate

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their next meeting with AVB. No clue as to what they would say, some sort of ultimatum I guess.

I do not EVER want to hear AVB or any Spurs manager in the future for that matter slate our fans after today. Still singing at 5-0 down. I stayed 80 minutes, couldn't take it any longer. Massive hats off to the ones who stayed until the very end

THIS!!

well in all fairness he was talking about the home atmosphere - which i think everyone is agreement nowadays that it is ****

Next home game, if we lose, block all the exits,meet manager and players at Paxton end, yeah ?

Last edited:

well in all fairness he was talking about the home atmosphere - which i think everyone is agreement nowadays that it is ****

because the football is so so so dull - it bores people to sleep. Its not that people cant be bothered to sing (although our songs are hideously dull too nowadays) but its because theyre struggling to stay awake.

I honestly think he is counting the EL games when he says that.

Against dire teams that nobody has ever heard like FC US Marshal/State Trooper/Sheriff or whatever they're bloody called. It's only when you get to the latter stages that the quality of the teams improves, partially down to the CL dropouts.

I do not EVER want to hear AVB or any Spurs manager in the future for that matter slate our fans after today. Still singing at 5-0 down. I stayed 80 minutes, couldn't take it any longer. Massive hats off to the ones who stayed until the very end

I dont think anybody would critcise you for going at that point. Hats off to anyone that went today.

To be fair I dont think AVB has ever had a pop at the away following, it was purely aimed at our home support.

Having been present at some of our awaydays I have total admiration for those travelling fans, they never fail to create a great atmosphere, even during awful performances. The support at the 4-0 defeat in Fulham a few seasons ago was just amazing

Id love us to go back to a nice attacking 442. Very old fashioned, boring, and non-cool, but bloody hell it always seems to look good on us.

Pacey attacking wingers, with a '2nd striker' who drops into the hole, a la Teddy, or Rafa for example.

2 central mids who each know their job, rather than being one of three - which in my opinion always ends up with no one taking responsibility and just being 3 players wasted (well, at Spurs anyway!).

Play wingers on their proper foot, and the fullbacks again looking comfortable with whats in front of them. (Benny & Kyle did used to be excellent in this system, remember!)

Parker may be gone, but by GHod Sandro is an upgrade. Admittedly we have no Luka now, but if Sandro is one of the two, I wonder if we could possibly eventually perm one other good midfielder from the reasonable investment we've made in; Dembele, Capoue, Paulinho, Erikson, Holtby, or Sigurdsson. (and if all 6 are crap, we still own Carroll and even Livermore I believe!). Biggest issue for me in a balanced 442 is that clearly we have 9 (NINE!) centre mids for 2 positions - but up front, we have only 3 'odds n s0ds' for 2 positions, and no 2nd striker to link it all up. Maybe Eriksen or Siggy should be that man, but I would want 12-15 goals from that position as well as creating goals for the striker, so it would have to work better than it is now!!

We miss the goals of Bale of course (and even the support act of Dempsey, in terms of numbers scored anyway). But I cant help but feel that sticking Townsend on the left and Lennon back on the right, will get us settled, balanced, and competitive once again. Stop this silly inverted wingers lark, and lose the 3 midfielders who have no role or responsibility. and definitely stop playing midfielders as wide forwards - on their wrong foot as well!

There, think I've covered it! :)

As much as I'm glad to see Harry gone - I do think he knew how to put out a balanced side. :-/

I'm with this.

Id go for a midfield of Lamela, Sandro, Eriksen and Lennon with Ade and Soldado up front as first choice.

Possibly Townsend on left depending on form

Maybe he is what we need right now. An ex-crowd favourite, might bring some feelgood back to the Lane, as well as getting some flair back into our play.
I will apologise though as my memories of his first time in charge are very cloudy, so I cant really remember was his major flaws were in his latter days in charge

See where you're coming from, but I don't think it works when you re-employ previous managers, same goes for Arry even though we would play better football.

Think we have failed with every single position.

Goalkeeper - The lloris saga at the start of last season cost us CL footbal last season. it also cost us Europa League against Bale with Friedel in goal. Why was Friedel playing? What is AVB trying to prove?

Defense - I said this summer we needed two top class CB and a top left back... Yet we got a kid, kept dawson, rushed Kaboul back as a starter and are playing our best CB at leftback. And Im sure he isnt happy about that. Hes probably our best player aswell, so why play your best player, the player who should be our captain, at left back? Would other teams do that? No we only see that here

Midfield - For me its Sandro + Dembele. Dont change that, if one is injured play whoever you want but Sandro + Dembele should be what the rest of the team rally around. At the moment we have an invisible Paulinho, who we dont know what is position is and young holtby who we also dont know what his position is playing as a number 10? What is going on?

Strikers - Harry got Ade playing his best football. Ade doesnt want to play for AVB. A good Adebayor can shake any defense. He holds the defense better than Defoe, and on current form would score more than Soldado so where was he? We have spent 25m on Soldado, a box player, and cant give him the ball? What is going on? We cant score goals, we are too far from the goal.

There is one thing that is intriguing - what do you think Levy or Joe Lewis is thinking? like in all seriousness. I know we can only speculate

Is anyone really expecting any decent result against United? The best we can hope for IMO is a 1-0 defeat similar to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in which we are unfortunate to not score. The next game after that is Fulham I believe? Can't see him surviving if we don't win that one.

It doesn't matter if he was referring to home or away in my opinion, a dig at the fans is a dig at the fans. This may be a load of crap, but I heard that he got a roasting from Levy after he was critical of the fans, bascially he told AVB in plain terms that the fans have a right to voice their opinions as they pay good money, especially when the football isn't the best.

My philosophy is get behind the team and boo the RESULT (not that I boo tbh), but I can't really blame the fans after some of the displays they've endured.

Is anyone really expecting any decent result against United? The best we can hope for IMO is a 1-0 defeat similar to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in which we are unfortunate to not score. The next game after that is Fulham I believe? Can't see him surviving if we don't win that one.

Might depend on results the day before; if City and others have pulled away in the top 4/5 their might be more pressure on Manure and Moyes to win. In that scenario I think we might get a cagey draw (I don't think AVB has a good record against Moyes..)

If we don't beat Fulham well.....

I am sure after today AVB will work even harder to right the ship. I remember reading about his Chelsea days, while he had poor results , he would sleep at the training ground trying to find ways to fix the situation. I feel he'll take that experience and make positive changes for our next league fixture.

Might depend on results the day before; if City and others have pulled away in the top 4/5 their might be more pressure on Manure and Moyes to win. In that scenario I think we might get a cagey draw (I don't think AVB has a good record against Moyes..)

If we don't beat Fulham well.....

It's unfortunate that we play the Champions in the next game, but that's life. Losing against them is nothing to be ashamed of, but the performance MUST be a hell of a lot better than anything else we've seen this season.

As for Fulham, they are a team full of Spurs rejects and can't buy a win against anyone and only beat Palace because of two sheer wonder goals.

It's unfortunate that we play the Champions in the next game, but that's life. Losing against them is nothing to be ashamed of, but the performance MUST be a hell of a lot better than anything else we've seen this season.

As for Fulham, they are a team full of Spurs rejects and can't buy a win against anyone and only beat Palace because of two sheer wonder goals.

I forgot about this; now a definite loss then:(

Yes, I am glad we got rid of that Bulgarian chap. Never good enough for us :p

Okay, I will give you Taarabt, Bant and Parker.

I am sure after today AVB will work even harder to right the ship. I remember reading about his Chelsea days, while he had poor results , he would sleep at the training ground trying to find ways to fix the situation. I feel he'll take that experience and make positive changes for our next league fixture.

Yep and look how that turned out. I admire the optimism of the fans but unfortunately the problem is not how hard he works. I must admit I have no idea who
should come in or even how we should play. But sometimes it just takes someone to come in and lift the club entirely to quote the "bearded one" "we are in a negative spiral of results" It is very hard to get out of this and there is no evidence whatsoever that AVB can get us out of it. In fact I'd say going by the Chelsea experience the opposite is more likely.

I can forgive that Saudi Sportswashing Machine result. That happens, it was terrible first half but second we got our **** together and deserved more. West Ham at home and today are unforgivable for me. I accepted AVB's criticism of the fans and our negativity. I genuinely (perhaps naively) think he has the clubs best interest at heart here and we are all striving towards the same goals. However, conversely he and the players need to accept that those two results in particular are not acceptable. They are stand-out eye popping disasters and it shouldn't happen once let alone twice.

The key is how we resolve it. I always feel when you are leaking goals it is a easier fix than when you are not scoring. We just don't have a genuine belief that we will score right now.

Back