• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Hoddle? :ross:

Believe me, we were pretty bad under him. It'd be a disaster.

Pochetino for me

I'm not advocating bringing him back, but for the sake of fairness we were also very, very good in patches at least under Glenn. But it all went disastrously wrong in his last 8-9 months IIRC.

I must say the result brings into focus some worries I had about AVB and his management of our squad:

1) Are we witnessing the same car-crash that AVB presided over at Chelski? Forget Terry, Lampard and co being so poisonous towards him and all that; Chelski were very VERY potent before he arrived, scoring record numbers of goals, but under him they because very anaemic and were quite slow in their build-up. At bit like us now really....

2) Is he too safety-first a manager to succeed in our less cerebral league, compared to say, Italy, where you can squeeze games dead much more easily; e.g. our 4-4 with Arsenal in Harry's early days, how often would A team in Italy, Spain, Portugal ever have the audacity to be so comprehensively outplayed but still have the cheekilness to get two late gaols in a you-never-know-just-try-it kind of late attack? On the whole managers like Benitez, Houllier and George Graham ultimately fail in our league because usually the bravest team win..

3) Take away Bale, how many of the players AVB has worked with have actually IMPROVED their game under him?????

Oh and if it's true that Verts, Chadli and Demebele have REALLY said those things then they have to go BEFORE AVB does.

We'll see who starts on Sunday to see how true these rumours really are (I truly hope its BS)

Before today's game i knew we would lose heavily i said before the game but also think we'll win next week. Results imo this season have overshadowed our actually performances many times. I don't understand how AVB hasn't worked out that Sandro & Paulinho can't play together. Between them they don't offer enough. At least Dembele drives with it and moves it quickly.
The main thing i have to say about AVB is what has he actually done in management before spurs? In 3 season he's been at 3 different clubs. One season is not enough to completely change a team whereas at spurs he has made 15 signings(the bulk of a squad). My point being this is the first time he has properly put his own squad together and i haven't seen it click in the slightest yet. I know he's not the only person who chooses players to sign but i'm pretty sure he has a big say. AVB comes across as arrogant at times to me and i think one situation of this is Soldado he was his marquee signing and won't drop him even though he's scored 1 goal from open play in the league. I think this shows stubonness that his 'way' will coem right soon.

When he was appointed i said i'll give him two years 1 st year i though just qualify in europa 2nd should be qualifying for Champions league at the moment i can't same i am convinced he will work.

I wasnt confident in the slightest. Went for 3-0 in the Prediction League on here, and said to the United fans at work dont count on any favours this weekend its gonna 4 or 5-0

Oh and if it's true that Verts, Chadli and Demebele have REALLY said those things then they have to go BEFORE AVB does.

We'll see who starts on Sunday to see how true these rumours really are (I truly hope its BS)

it's ******** - Chadli started games up until his injury, upon his return he picked up another - he's probably missed 2 or 3 games that he could have played, so we're supposed to believe that he's handing in a transfer request based on that?

Pochetino for me

Pochetino is like AVB imo. No thanks.....plus he still isnt confident to speak english

I've read a lot over the last few weeks, gauging views but not posting on the matter. I do wonder if AVB's system and methods work well in Portugal but not here in the EPL as seem to be the case with Ramos but with Seville. Another thing for consideration is the fact that AVB thinks about every little detail and has everything planned out but do the players understand? Footballers bless them are gifted with a football but a large percentage really lack in the intelligence department. Are AVB's instructions too much for them to take in?
I wanted Martinez originally and wasn't particularly happy with the appointment with AVB because of his stubbornness at Chelsea. His constant use of the high line with John Terry in defence was a nightmare. But I don't think he should be sacked just yet, he should be given the chance to sort this mess out unless he has lost the dressing room. I can't think of an available manager who could come in and sort things out.
Its not the results so much for me (although today was a nightmare) but the dull boring football. The reason I started supporting Spurs was because of the way we played. I was a young child back in the early 80's mesmerized by the skill of Ardiles, Villa, Hoddle et el and what I have been watching for a while now isn't the Spurs I know and love.

Where's all this AVB will turn our season around optimism coming from? Where's the evidence? Today was not a blip. He has changed players and formations around and we are still a mess. IMO AVB is finished but we are too scared to admit it.

it's ******** - Chadli started games up until his injury, upon his return he picked up another - he's probably missed 2 or 3 games that he could have played, so we're supposed to believe that he's handing in a transfer request based on that?

I hope you are right. Any sort of a player mutiny like the one described and it is a sure sign that AVB has lost the dressing room. Once that happens the party is over for him. He'll also have to discipline the players involved and it all gets every messy after that.

One thing I am certain about is irrespective of what AVB says to the press he is not oblivious to the failings in attack. 'We had lots of shots but couldn't score' is just a sound bite to fulfil some contractual obligation. Having had one brief peek into the preparation that goes on at a pro-football club I am pretty sure that everything that is going wrong is well known.

AVB will wake up tomorrow morning and realise that his managerial career is in the balance. If he looks at the situation pragmatically then he can turn things around, and I firmly believe that. If he stubbornly sticks to his footballing ideology then that's it for him I think. Adapt or die really.

I've read a lot over the last few weeks, gauging views but not posting on the matter. I do wonder if AVB's system and methods work well in Portugal but not here in the EPL as seem to be the case with Ramos but with Seville. Another thing for consideration is the fact that AVB thinks about every little detail and has everything planned out but do the players understand? Footballers bless them are gifted with a football but a large percentage really lack in the intelligence department. Are AVB's instructions too much for them to take in?
I wanted Martinez originally and wasn't particularly happy with the appointment with AVB because of his stubbornness at Chelsea. His constant use of the high line with John Terry in defence was a nightmare. But I don't think he should be sacked just yet, he should be given the chance to sort this mess out unless he has lost the dressing room. I can't think of an available manager who could come in and sort things out.
Its not the results so much for me (although today was a nightmare) but the dull boring football. The reason I started supporting Spurs was because of the way we played. I was a young child back in the early 80's mesmerized by the skill of Ardiles, Villa, Hoddle et el and what I have been watching for a while now isn't the Spurs I know and love.

He's playing tactics which don't suit our players for **** sake. Our tactics would work with players like Modric in midfield but slow build up and allowing the opposition to get in place doesn't work when you don't have creative players. We have quick players (Lennon, Walker, Townsend, Lamela etc) and strong players (Sandro, Capoue, Paulinho, Chadli, Walker, the CBs,.....) - the slow build up doesn't work with that sort of player. We lack creative intelligent players - our tactics have no chance of working

Id love us to go back to a nice attacking 442. Very old fashioned, boring, and non-cool, but bloody hell it always seems to look good on us.

Pacey attacking wingers, with a '2nd striker' who drops into the hole, a la Teddy, or Rafa for example.

2 central mids who each know their job, rather than being one of three - which in my opinion always ends up with no one taking responsibility and just being 3 players wasted (well, at Spurs anyway!).

Play wingers on their proper foot, and the fullbacks again looking comfortable with whats in front of them. (Benny & Kyle did used to be excellent in this system, remember!)

Parker may be gone, but by GHod Sandro is an upgrade. Admittedly we have no Luka now, but if Sandro is one of the two, I wonder if we could possibly eventually perm one other good midfielder from the reasonable investment we've made in; Dembele, Capoue, Paulinho, Erikson, Holtby, or Sigurdsson. (and if all 6 are crap, we still own Carroll and even Livermore I believe!). Biggest issue for me in a balanced 442 is that clearly we have 9 (NINE!) centre mids for 2 positions - but up front, we have only 3 'odds n s0ds' for 2 positions, and no 2nd striker to link it all up. Maybe Eriksen or Siggy should be that man, but I would want 12-15 goals from that position as well as creating goals for the striker, so it would have to work better than it is now!!

We miss the goals of Bale of course (and even the support act of Dempsey, in terms of numbers scored anyway). But I cant help but feel that sticking Townsend on the left and Lennon back on the right, will get us settled, balanced, and competitive once again. Stop this silly inverted wingers lark, and lose the 3 midfielders who have no role or responsibility. and definitely stop playing midfielders as wide forwards - on their wrong foot as well!

There, think I've covered it! :)

As much as I'm glad to see Harry gone - I do think he knew how to put out a balanced side. :-/

Where's all this AVB will turn our season around optimism coming from? Where's the evidence? Today was not a blip. He has changed players and formations around and we are still a mess. IMO AVB is finished but we are too scared to admit it.

Its called blind optimism and hope. Ridiculous. Things are getting worse by the game and AVB plays tactics which don't suit us. How many points are you going to pick up over a season if you only score 1 goal from open play every other game? The idea that we might finish top 4 is just laughable

That's why I've given up with football.

You start to make progress.

Bigger clubs buy your best players.

You start again

Bigger clubs buy your best players.
Etc etc

Just pointless getting so upset about it. Best we can hope for is a trophy every few years.

We will never win the league or be amongst the elite.

Only a rich owner can change our fortunes.

Sad but very true I'm afraid. At the game today I kept saying to my mate, that is what money gets you.

Pochetino for me

Believe me, we were also pretty amazing under him as well! He brought in old good players to get in to Europe where he was promised funds to strengthen the team, he was a les Ferdinand nightmare away from it working as well. We were fantastic to watch. Unfortunately the 2nd season we still had the same players, a year older and it showed!

I do not EVER want to hear AVB or any Spurs manager in the future for that matter slate our fans after today. Still singing at 5-0 down. I stayed 80 minutes, couldn't take it any longer. Massive hats off to the ones who stayed until the very end

There is one thing that is intriguing - what do you think Levy or Joe Lewis is thinking? like in all seriousness. I know we can only speculate

There is one thing that is intriguing - what do you think Levy or Joe Lewis is thinking? like in all seriousness. I know we can only speculate

I think next two games performances will be crucial. 6-0 is a disgrace no doubt, bt it will be the reaction in the next two games that will be more significant imo

Back