• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

They are having a very very good season but dont forget they didnt spend 60m quid.

We also sold players for about 60m quid. They replaced a overhyped kid (Rodwell) and an over-the-hill veteran (Cahill) with Mirallas and Pienaar. So they are actuall keeping the core of last season reviving team and added to it.

In fact I still think at this stage, Moyes is a better manager to AVB. Seasoned, battle-tested and respected by players. If it's still the old Div One days (when club built team and not bought team), Moyes and Everton would have probably done enough to win, may be a major cup or even a leauge title.

I see a lot of people comparing our struggle to break down teams. Previously it has been most weeks we played great even though most teams who came to whl would try and put as many behind the ball as possible, with occasionally one pulling off the win - but actually if you think about a lot of these games there would be 20 shots on goal (not just long range) and it was one of those days where nothing goes in.

Compare it to this season and there has been a large % of games like that, with us limited to long range efforts rather than missed sitters. It's obviously down to the system / tactics. That's not being pro or anti anyone, its just blatantly obviously the case regardless of what some people want to be true.

Today was good and was different to other games as across the whole of the game we created some brilliant chances in the box. However, was it a case of AVB saying "this is how we will play today against this opposition" or was it just the same tactics and system that has let is down so far (in terms of performances), thus solving nothing long term.

AVB is a lot younger than Moyes and already won a stack more trophies.

AFAIK Moyes still hasn't got a single major trophy to his name, so I would say AVB is definitely a better manager than him ATM, that may change of course.

I really think there are three major points the AVB critics are failing to consider

- Yes, there have been games we should have drawn/won vs. loss/draw. But there were games the other way as well (and all teams have that, unexpected results)
- Complete lack of consideration for the number of major changes made to the side (minus King/Modric/VDV and injuries to Benny/Scott/Kaboul, plus Lloris = 7 first team changes in addition to manager), and you expect every game will go to plan in the 1st half of season? in what world?)
- We haven't replaced Modric, that plus the fact that while a lot of people may say things about us, it's obvious our opposition respect us and play very defensive especially at WHL.

I think it's obvious when teams have a go (or at least feel pressured to do so when they are the home team), we find more opportunity.

A few people answered my previous question re grades with decent answers (thanks), I guess I'm just giving the squad a little more leeway due to what I see as major changes that will create some transition/consistency issues.

AVB's success this season unfortunately for me may come down to how much Levy is willing to back him in January, 4th will be very tough without a Creative Midfielder and another striker.

AVB is a lot younger than Moyes and already won a stack more trophies.

AFAIK Moyes still hasn't got a single major trophy to his name, so I would say AVB is definitely a better manager than him ATM, that may change of course.

Well, as I said, it's just my view. And I actually dare to say AVB is on the way to become a better manager to Moyes already.

Moyes does win three LMA manager of the year awards, I think those are fairly good recognition of the work done by managers at smaller clubs. Even most of his critics could only say he should get out of his comfort zone and take over a bigger club.

I really think there are three major points the AVB critics are failing to consider

- Yes, there have been games we should have drawn/won vs. loss/draw. But there were games the other way as well (and all teams have that, unexpected results)
- Complete lack of consideration for the number of major changes made to the side (minus King/Modric/VDV and injuries to Benny/Scott/Kaboul, plus Lloris = 7 first team changes in addition to manager), and you expect every game will go to plan in the 1st half of season? in what world?)
- We haven't replaced Modric, that plus the fact that while a lot of people may say things about us, it's obvious our opposition respect us and play very defensive especially at WHL.

I think it's obvious when teams have a go (or at least feel pressured to do so when they are the home team), we find more opportunity.

A few people answered my previous question re grades with decent answers (thanks), I guess I'm just giving the squad a little more leeway due to what I see as major changes that will create some transition/consistency issues.

AVB's success this season unfortunately for me may come down to how much Levy is willing to back him in January, 4th will be very tough without a Creative Midfielder and another striker.

This

Well, as I said, it's just my view. And I actually dare to say AVB is on the way to become a better manager to Moyes already.

Moyes does win three LMA manager of the year awards, I think those are fairly good recognition of the work done by managers at smaller clubs. Even most of his critics could only say he should get out of his comfort zone and take over a bigger club.

Fair comments Mr G, and Moyes is a good manager for sure- But let's remember Everton are traditionally a big club and like us expect to win at least one trophy every decade.

Also have any of the 'bigger clubs' ever come in for him and if not why not?

I think it's clear we struggle to break teams down that come to defend, although I think any team will be like that. I don't think there is a team short of Barcelona that have actually uncovered the formula to doing it consistently. Every team will struggle to break teams down that show no ambition.

But I have to ask, what do people expect? I understand KDs point about not as much pressing - although I would strongly argue the Norwich game at home for example we absolutely were not pressing high, we were deliberately sitting back and trying to draw them on to us, but it just didn't work. Still getting used to new ideas I can put that down to. But what I want to say is that if we are a squad where our players are at the best when they are able to break quickly with pace, that doesn't change just because the manager decides to play a different way. That will always be the case as long as the squad has the make up that it does, and will only really change in a consistent way once new types of players are added.

I don't think it's a case of AVB 'getting the tactics right away from home' it's just going to take a bit more time for us to consistently break teams down at home, because regardless of tactics our players are simply more suited to breaking into space with pace. In any case, if we can force teams to come to WHL and sit back, it's risky for them. They are letting our danger men get close to their goal, and if we do get a break, they are pretty much fudged. It won't always be the case that we fail to break teams down. Many times we will actually do it. And then when they need to get a goal they've realised they've spent all game trying to stop us doing it and don't have time themselves. And at that point we take advantage.

Today was a good result against a team that conceded 8 at the weekend, and we all know Bale can produce this kind of performance.

The really good thing is the clean sheet, 3 in a row, when was the last time this happened?

I think this has a lot to do with the transfer business, the defence is benefiting from having a fantastic keeper, vertonghen is getting better every game and Sandro and Dembele are rock solid in the middle of the park.

You build a team starting with the goalkeeper and the defence, and for years we forgot that, we wanted to have attacking players all over the park.

Villas Boas deserves some praise for that. We are a much stronger unit, and with Bale on form and defoe scoring the goals, we can really look ahead.

We just need one or two players in, someone to unlock a defense, even though Siggy is getting better and better when coming on. And another striker because Ade is not the player he was last season. He just doesnt seem half as fit as last season to start with.

We got three players in this summer, LLoris, Vertonghen and Dembele who are top top class.

Today was a good result against a team that conceded 8 at the weekend, and we all know Bale can produce this kind of performance.

The really good thing is the clean sheet, 3 in a row, when was the last time this happened?

I think this has a lot to do with the transfer business, the defence is benefiting from having a fantastic keeper, vertonghen is getting better every game and Sandro and Dembele are rock solid in the middle of the park.

You build a team starting with the goalkeeper and the defence, and for years we forgot that, we wanted to have attacking players all over the park.

Villas Boas deserves some praise for that. We are a much stronger unit, and with Bale on form and defoe scoring the goals, we can really look ahead.

We just need one or two players in, someone to unlock a defense, even though Siggy is getting better and better when coming on. And another striker because Ade is not the player he was last season. He just doesnt seem half as fit as last season to start with.

We got three players in this summer, LLoris, Vertonghen and Dembele who are top top class.

Two very good points.

Apart from Bale getting his hat trick, the clean sheet pleased me more than anything.

We do have a very good spine at the moment: Lloris, Verts and Caulker/Kaboul/, Dembele, Sandro and Defoe.

I would always rather have a full back who isn't the best going forward but can defend, whereas I think a lot of Spurs fans would prefer marauading full backs.

We have moved on from last season. You can't have it both ways you can't one minute talk about forgetting Harry and the next moving the goalposts and talk about last season.

I am grading AVB - he wasn't here last season. Last season the results against those teams yielded better results than this season. I would still grade them as a C but not sure how that is material when we are, like I say, giving half term grades so to speak.

I hope that you can see the obvious flaw and inconsistency in that post......

First you say, "We have moved on from last season. You can't have it both ways you can't one minute talk about forgetting Harry and the next moving the goalposts and talk about last season."

But then that's precisely what you do in your next paragraph: "Last season the results against those teams yielded better results than this season"!!!!

You can't grade results against this season's opponents by results against last season's opponents. The likes of West Brom and Stoke, in particular, are much stronger this season than they were last season.

A couple of the comments above beggar belief...seriously, if people cannot see the seeds of a style and system starting to sprout, then it's best not even discussing the manager...

A couple of the comments above beggar belief...seriously, if people cannot see the seeds of a style and system starting to sprout, then it's best not even discussing the manager...

Well...those people will tell you we need to score to win the game, and the new style in progress hasn't been tested by Man Utd/City etc etc.

Today was good and was different to other games as across the whole of the game we created some brilliant chances in the box. However, was it a case of AVB saying "this is how we will play today against this opposition" or was it just the same tactics and system that has let is down so far (in terms of performances), thus solving nothing long term.

Or was it 'just the same tactics and system' actually beginning to bear fruit and thus showing itself to actually BE the long-term solution?
That we start to see the desired outcome and results of AVB's thinking and implementations which, hitherto, have only sporadically given yields and thus allowed scoffers and cynics to dive in to dismiss?

I hope that you can see the obvious flaw and inconsistency in that post......

First you say, "We have moved on from last season. You can't have it both ways you can't one minute talk about forgetting Harry and the next moving the goalposts and talk about last season."

But then that's precisely what you do in your next paragraph: "Last season the results against those teams yielded better results than this season"!!!!

You can't grade results against this season's opponents by results against last season's opponents. The likes of West Brom and Stoke, in particular, are much stronger this season than they were last season.

Did you not see what Rossi was asking? He wanted me to talk so I did. I didnt bring it up I didnt bring up last season. You guys bring it up and i will talk about it.

I didnt instigate that - so there are no flaws. I know im being baited into it and ill happily oblige in answering it. Rossi asked two or three times - would have been rude not to.

Just as furstrating, had we held on at Everton and managed a goal v Stoke we would have been a point behind them this morning

Why do people come out with this logic? I'm sure Emirates Marketing Project could say if they'd won this game or scored a goal aginst this team they'd be ahead of Man Utd. You are where you are....

Why do people come out with this logic? I'm sure Emirates Marketing Project could say if they'd won this game or scored a goal aginst this team they'd be ahead of Man Utd. You are where you are....

Its human nature tho - what if scenarios. Everyone does it in some capacity.

Its human nature tho - what if scenarios. Everyone does it in some capacity.

Of course it is but in the footballing sense its pointless. Every team have missed chances and points they should have won but didn't.

Anyway, I'm liking AVB and agree with Steff - his style of play is subtly coming together.....

Back