• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Of course it is but in the footballing sense its pointless. Every team have missed chances and points they should have won but didn't.

Anyway, I'm liking AVB and agree with Steff - his style of play is subtly coming together.....

Not at home its not haha - that chestnut again. Away its great but hopefully when we bring in one or two in January we can show our true home form

I see a lot of people comparing our struggle to break down teams. Previously it has been most weeks we played great even though most teams who came to whl would try and put as many behind the ball as possible, with occasionally one pulling off the win - but actually if you think about a lot of these games there would be 20 shots on goal (not just long range) and it was one of those days where nothing goes in.

Compare it to this season and there has been a large % of games like that, with us limited to long range efforts rather than missed sitters. It's obviously down to the system / tactics. That's not being pro or anti anyone, its just blatantly obviously the case regardless of what some people want to be true.

Today was good and was different to other games as across the whole of the game we created some brilliant chances in the box. However, was it a case of AVB saying "this is how we will play today against this opposition" or was it just the same tactics and system that has let is down so far (in terms of performances), thus solving nothing long term.

:-k
SO TODAY WAS GOOD.
However, you are now questioning AVB's tactics. Was it a one of that worked or do we still have a problem ? You, me and the rest DON'T know.
I think AVB is in a no win situation. If it was good or bad the AVB haters will still come out with doubts.
Get a life guys and get behind the team AND AVB. Maybe, we have a great ride to May
COYS

do you guys notice that we are now regularly dominating possession - the players are "getting it" and the higher pressing game is now working to our advantage quite naturally? its a pity that we don't have the creative players needed to unpick a really tight defence, but as yesterday's game showed, the right tactics (bale through the centre after tormenting them on the wings) substitutions (siggy) at the right time can force a change in the game to open up opportunities.

Today was a good result against a team that conceded 8 at the weekend, and we all know Bale can produce this kind of performance.

The really good thing is the clean sheet, 3 in a row, when was the last time this happened?

I think this has a lot to do with the transfer business, the defence is benefiting from having a fantastic keeper, vertonghen is getting better every game and Sandro and Dembele are rock solid in the middle of the park.

You build a team starting with the goalkeeper and the defence, and for years we forgot that, we wanted to have attacking players all over the park.

Villas Boas deserves some praise for that. We are a much stronger unit, and with Bale on form and defoe scoring the goals, we can really look ahead.

We just need one or two players in, someone to unlock a defense, even though Siggy is getting better and better when coming on. And another striker because Ade is not the player he was last season. He just doesnt seem half as fit as last season to start with.

We got three players in this summer, LLoris, Vertonghen and Dembele who are top top class.

Excellent post, Charlie..

I wrote similar yesterday when replying in the OMT but there were a disagreement between my computer and the Glory Glory site just as I hit send and it all just got lost . :(

You build a team starting with the goalkeeper and the defence, and for years we forgot that

We all know we have weaknesses upfront that have to be addressed but it has to also be recognised that, AVB is building a team with strong defensive foundations and a team that works hard without the ball like we've not seen a previous Tottenham team do in many a year.

Looking at the system of play of all the past managers and teams we've had in recent years, I'm in doubt that our present manager if given the time will surpass all of them with regards to collecting league points.

do you guys notice that we are now regularly dominating possession - the players are "getting it" and the higher pressing game is now working to our advantage quite naturally? its a pity that we don't have the creative players needed to unpick a really tight defence, but as yesterday's game showed, the right tactics (bale through the centre after tormenting them on the wings) substitutions (siggy) at the right time can force a change in the game to open up opportunities.

Didn't dominate possession at home to Liverpool nor away to Everton.
Not reading anything into yesterday's game, Villa were awful - great result and performance but not very good opposition!

[/B]

:-k
SO TODAY WAS GOOD.
However, you are now questioning AVB's tactics. Was it a one of that worked or do we still have a problem ? You, me and the rest DON'T know.
I think AVB is in a no win situation. If it was good or bad the AVB haters will still come out with doubts.
Get a life guys and get behind the team AND AVB. Maybe, we have a great ride to May
COYS

The problem is those on here who want everyone to blindly love the manager no matter what! Our home record this season is not good enough and this has been due to our negativity!

The problem is those on here who want everyone to blindly love the manager no matter what! Our home record this season is not good enough and this has been due to our negativity!

hhhhhhmmmmm a lot on here would say the problem is those on here who want to criticise the manager without taking anything in to context (as was proved by Suyiha's huge posts pages back, noone's had all the problems we have).

Everyone is free to back/critique whoever they want.

I would say to the folks who are moaning now, you are missing a chance to enjoy yourself. I'm quite happy with 4th at the mid point of season, with a positive GD close to double figures, and a number of important players now getting back to being available.

To my earlier point, at the start of the season, I would have taken this position 100 times out of a 100.

everyone is free to back/critique whoever they want.

I would say to the folks who are moaning now, you are missing a chance to enjoy yourself. i'm quite happy with 4th at the mid point of season, with a positive gd close to double figures, and a number of important players now getting back to being available.

To my earlier point, at the start of the season, i would have taken this position 100 times out of a 100.

Well put!!
Enjoy!!!!!

Everyone is free to back/critique whoever they want.

I would say to the folks who are moaning now, you are missing a chance to enjoy yourself. I'm quite happy with 4th at the mid point of season, with a positive GD close to double figures, and a number of important players now getting back to being available.

To my earlier point, at the start of the season, I would have taken this position 100 times out of a 100.

indeed, we are progressing as a team and becoming better for it. As for the moaning minnies well they are becoming fewer as the results are getting better ( as they were always going to under AVB, he just needed time)

indeed, we are progressing as a team and becoming better for it. As for the moaning minnies well they are becoming fewer as the results are getting better ( as they were always going to under AVB, he just needed time)

There is a difference between moaning and highlighting the obvious. Me highlighting that the home performances have been atrocious (poor etc) is not moaning its stating the obvious - it is not moaning though.

Im not gonna jump ahead of ourselves here simply because A Villa are really really poor I mean REALLY brick. There are no two ways about it.

Sunderland will be a different kettle of fish.

There is a difference between moaning and highlighting the obvious. Me highlighting that the home performances have been atrocious (poor etc) is not moaning its stating the obvious - it is not moaning though.

Im not gonna jump ahead of ourselves here simply because A Villa are really really poor I mean REALLY brick. There are no two ways about it.

Sunderland will be a different kettle of fish.

i never called YOU a moaning minnie :) but there are some who have done nothing but bitch about AVB since he got the job, and you know that as well as i do.

It has nothing to do with us being "negative" :rolleyes:

It does actually. West Brom, Liverpool and Swansea at home are some examples of home games where we took our foot off the pedal. I'd love to see us keep going for it, like we did yesterday. Admittedly, not many teams are as brick as Villa, but I think AVB's tactics were a bit negative at the start of the season, but he's realising that was a mistake and has decided to go for it more which is pleasing as I feel one of his biggest mistakes at Chelsea was his stubbornness.

Kramer: (over excited) Hey

George: Hey

Kramer: (still over excited) Who wants to have some fun!

Jerry: I do.

George: I do.

Kramer: (once again, over excited) Are you just sayin' you want to have fun

or do you really want to have fun?!

Jerry: I really wanna have some fun.

George: I'm just sayin' I wanna have some fun.

People only moaned after poor results/performances. They weren't moaning when we beat United or when we won 3 games on the spin a couple of weeks back. They were also put off by his negative tactics earlier in the season, but I said in another post that he's become more adventurous of late and he's starting to win most of them over.

Some Spurs fans had reservations about the manager after his stint at Chelsea, can you really blame them for that? Yeah the team were booed off at half time and full time in some home games, but that's nothing new for Spurs fans, previous managers have all suffered that, we aren't the most patient bunch.

Personally, I think the last poor home performance we had was Wigan.

Agreed 100%, and that was an absolute stinker. But those waffling on about the Stoke game make me laugh...kanoute and all his 'settling for mediocrity' cracked me up. If we were going to 'settle for mediocrity' we'd not have made the summer change of manager we did make!!!!!!

People only moaned after poor results/performances. They weren't moaning when we beat United or when we won 3 games on the spin a couple of weeks back. They were also put off by his negative tactics earlier in the season, but I said in another post that he's become more adventurous of late and he's starting to win most of them over.

Some Spurs fans had reservations about the manager after his stint at Chelsea, can you really blame them for that? Yeah the team were booed off at half time and full time in some home games, but that's nothing new for Spurs fans, previous managers have all suffered that, we aren't the most patient bunch.

Well those that booed after a few games under a new manager are moaning minnies, some had a agenda after the sacking of Redknapp and there were also a few who wanted him out after a few games. A new manager with new ideas and with new players settling in was always going to need time, unfortunately some could not/ would not accept that.

Yes they were. According to some, the only reason we beat United was pure luck. And he isn't becoming 'more adventurous' at all, he's finally getting all his players back and they're finally learning/getting comfortable with, what he wants them to do and how he wants us to play. It will take the rest of the season for the shoes to continue to break in, and the fact he's doing it in such a way that we could well finish in the CL spots would make it a fudging magnificent achievement.

With regards to lack of patience, after a certain amount of years watching I think that excuse goes out the window. You have to look for patterns, look for signs and either see what's going on or choose not to (the third option being they simply don't see it because they CAN'T see it).

I think AVB has shown himself to be class on the pitch and off it. When he was booed by some of the macarons, his response was that the fans have the right as it is their club. No snivelling. No snippiness. No avoiding it a la Benitez. And no gonad*s about the fans being idiots who listen to talk radio...

Back