• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Well I've got my football news on refresh for the next few hours. We have a game on Weds night

A new manager might play tactics which suit the players. This guy is an idiot

I have never rated Souness as a manager, but he immediately identified the problem as not having the players to fit the system but insisting on playing the system anyway. And the abscence of a creative midfielder who can play a cute pass. And the fact that Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho trio may be powerful but is too slow, and defensive.

So either AVB can see this and does nothing; or he can't see it. I'm not sure which is worse. But neither of them is good.

Too often, in recent years, we have lost by 5-1, 5-2, now this season has seen 3-0, 6-0, 5-0 ... we have nothing to respond, even within a game.

Where is the pride ? where is the fight ? where is the tactical change to try and grab momentum swing ? All on the manager, but the players are the ones on the pitch too. I think we are desperately unlucky with the CB situation at the mo, that's a BIG factor. BUT, we are also hardly creating chances.

I find it so hard to watch this team this season.

I think it's the disconnect between the old and the new.. He wants us to become a different team to the one that our fans want/are used to. Dawson is a great example - he is our captain yet arguably the worst player in our current team. What does avb do - sell him? Tried that, got slaughtered for it. Drop him? He can't, as the people he bought to replace him are injured. There's only ever cohesion when he puts out a completely "new" team (as strange as that sounds) ;the new players play one way, others, such as Lennon, play another. That is never going to change until someone, be it avb or another manager, is given time to instill a style that everyone understands. So a centre back coming into the team knows that it's not generally advisable to ping 60 yard passes out of play.
That is where my criticism of avb DOES lie. He tries to please people too much. He plays people when they're not up to the task out of loyalty. This must lead to good relationships with the players but it's a risky game at the highest level. It also stops him telling players to stop doing things that they enjoy doing but are detrimental to our game (e.g townsend taking 40 shots a game). Rather than being tactically stubborn I think he just lacks the conviction to say "this is MY team, this is how I want you to do things"-all great managers do it. Maybe it's a legacy from the Chelsea fiasco, I dunno. I really have faith in the guy though and I hope the board and our fans show him some support.

Sent from my ST26i using Fapatalk

It's not just the 60 yd balls that are going out of play. We have talented players who are being constrained by the manager's approach. His look down, speak quietly, praise when we screw a point out of poor opposition reaction is not on - I preferred Jol when he was a real believer in Bill Nicholson view during 125th season.

From where I was watching (a pub 45 miles away) the most telling pictures were those of Levy remaining to the last (well after the whistle) to soak up the atmosphere - however toxic. This performance (more than result) will come back to haunt AVB.

There will be many joke successors proposed - how long before Sven gets a mention ?

I have never rated Souness as a manager, but he immediately identified the problem as not having the players to fit the system but insisting on playing the system anyway. And the abscence of a creative midfielder who can play a cute pass. And the fact that Dembele/Sandro/Paulinho trio may be powerful but is too slow, and defensive.

So either AVB can see this and does nothing; or he can't see it. I'm not sure which is worse. But neither of them is good.

He's too stubborn. He wants to play this way despite not having the right players for it. Its inexcusable. We're almost half way through the season and its difficult to think of a top performance from us in the league. Man U was ok, but we've not scored (I think) in 6 games and won (I think) 3 or 4 others 1-0. We look utterly clueless - we need a manager who knows what he's doing and who will install some sensible tactics.

Add Chadli to those three. Four big lads in midfield, I thought we'd run over Lucas and Allen, but we were second to everything. This current team of ours doesn't even look like Spurs. I think AVB can see it and is just too stubborn to change his system.

Oh - and best part of 2hrs after the whistle ...... absolutely no update on the Club site. Or is it just me ?

Too often, in recent years, we have lost by 5-1, 5-2, now this season has seen 3-0, 6-0, 5-0 ... we have nothing to respond, even within a game.

Where is the pride ? where is the fight ? where is the tactical change to try and grab momentum swing ? All on the manager, but the players are the ones on the pitch too. I think we are desperately unlucky with the CB situation at the mo, that's a BIG factor. BUT, we are also hardly creating chances.

this.....but it more that i find it hard to watch and enjoy the team

was watching it in the pub and at 0-2...i was literally not bothered nearly as much as i would imagine i would be if my heart was in the match

This is what my attitude towards avb has done to me. its not his fault clearly..this is my issue but damn man this is a strange feeling to have when supporting tottenham

Extremely disappointed today. A few things coming to light which were highlighted weeks ago yet people had their heads bitten off.

Complete agree with this. I watch every game because I 'have' to - I couldn't not watch Spurs. But when I watch us this season, I sit there in silence - no shouting, screaming etc as always before. We're just so so dull and so painful to watch. There's no entertainment and nothing at all to give the believe that we might tear the opposition apart. We look completely impotent. And when we do have a shot (I'm not even going to say score) me reaction is 'meh' - completely ambivalent. I'd almost like us to lose so that we get rid of the idiot manager

I had a ticket for today, but my travel plans went tits up. Normally I would have been gutted not being able to go. Strangely, I was just a bit meh, this morning. Now I'm really glad!

Was AVB the man for the job after the Chelsea debacle?
We were told he learnt from his mistakes ? I give you Benny sat in the box watching us get spanked desperately in need of a left back. I'm sure it's not for football reasons he was loaned out . Same with Ade a different option. If rumours are true they questioned his management and got binned lesson not learned clearly.
Today was the final straw he has to go clueless we signed some good players but he can't get a decent game out of them.

Before anyone says Ade is injured I know but has been frozen out. Only saw him at city because AVB did not know what to do and chanced his arm.

Extremely disappointed today. A few things coming to light which were highlighted weeks ago yet people had their heads bitten off.
Few have changed their tune after today,

This result feel like the final nail in AVB's coffin...even BoL, Braineclipse and Steff aren't defending him anymore.

I have one issue to ask a lot of you: I have for a while said that Liverpool ARE a very good decent side that mirror in many ways some of the good things that were happening with us in 09/10 and perhaps even 11/12. A lot of you poo-pooed this idea and Liverpool's quality generally.

Some of you need to ask yourselves, how much has your about-turn with regards to AVB is down to this superiority complex with regards to Liverpool?

Complete agree with this. I watch every game because I 'have' to - I couldn't not watch Spurs. But when I watch us this season, I sit there in silence - no shouting, screaming etc as always before. We're just so so dull and so painful to watch. There's no entertainment and nothing at all to give the believe that we might tear the opposition apart. We look completely impotent. And when we do have a shot (I'm not even going to say score) me reaction is 'meh' - completely ambivalent. I'd almost like us to lose so that we get rid of the idiot manager

Totally agree. Results like this don't even get to me that much anymore, simply no point in letting it get to you.

The problem is BoL, does it actually work? I agree that it sounds incredible in theory but in reality does it really work?

I can't remember a great deal about his Porto side but they didn't play like this. They didn't go in short bursts, they thrashed teams. I'm not convinced that players can learn to just switch intensity and pressure on and off like that, in a regimented manner. More importantly, it ignores the momentum that certain events in matches can bring about.

I don' think we can use Anzhi as an excuse at all, only 3 of the starters played in that game.

Yeah, fair enough points. I think Porto did play that way, they were a good side relative to the rest of the league so scored more goals, but they did hit teams in bursts and the fans initially didn't like the patient style in slow tempo moments, and grew to like it as they realised what it allowed the team to do.

I think it can work, but as with everything if something is not coming off then it looks like a bad idea. If Southampton were getting sliced through due to pressing high and not winning the ball...they would look really open but when they pull it off they look incredibly solid.

I think within the structure of the team it is accepted that moments that cannot be planned for will happen and we have to adjust to it...that's accounted for.

I just have no idea where today cake from. You're right about Anzhi, only 3 players played again so it's not as if it's a massive excuse. We had injuries...we had ten men....just a totally mental result.

It's not just the 60 yd balls that are going out of play. We have talented players who are being constrained by the manager's approach./QUOTE]

This is what I'm getting at - we have lots of talented players that don't gel, and I don't think some of them ever will. Players who are all about cute through balls not being able to play them because the wingers want the ball to feet. Defenders who like to pass the ball out but midfielders that don't want it. I've list count of the amount of times someone shows for a pass only for dembele to drop the shoulder and beat his opponent. There is nothing wrong with what they each want to do, but they each want to do different things. Soldado recently spoke about his problems and said he feels he works well with Paulinho, rather than the players you'd hope he would e.g Lennon or townsend. We have several good double acts but not one cohesive unit. I would also add, though, that for various reasons we haven't been able to field the 11 that I think COULD gel. I think that until he is given the chance to do so we should grin and bear it, and show a bit of faith. AVB may not deserve it but when was the last time any spurs manager was given that?

Sent from my ST26i using Fapatalk

This result feel like the final nail in AVB's coffin...even BoL, Braineclipse and Steff aren't defending him anymore.

I have one issue to ask a lot of you: I have for a while said that Liverpool ARE a very good decent side that mirror in many ways some of the good things that were happening with us in 09/10 and perhaps even 11/12. A lot of you poo-pooed this idea and Liverpool's quality generally.

Some of you need to ask yourselves, how much has your about-turn with regards to AVB is down to this superiority complex with regards to Liverpool?

None really from my point of view, I think I said in another thread or earlier in this one but I don't see Liverpool's level as being top 3 with quality football right the way through the season. If they pull it off, fair play because it would be an amazing achievement.

But they do remind me a lot of us in 11/12, and it really wouldn't surprise me to see a big collapse in the second half of the season because of that. If it doesn't happen, then they will have done an excellent job and Rodgers deserves to be known as one of the best managers around.

Back