• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I think AVB made an error today. Never a good idea to attack the press directly - just get on and let your football do the talking -look how the press have laid off Wenger since L'**** became top of the tree. He will continue to be a whipping boy, more so especially if the press smell blood. Today served no one well not AVB not the club. and WTF was the attack on Sugar? He needs to grow a thick skin to manage at the top level he just comes across as petulant.

So not only did an English/British journo need a lesson on the difference between "they" and "we" from someone who has English as his second/third/whatevers language, Alan Sugar - no, Lord Alan Sugar doesn't understand the concept of trading something for money?

Again, that's been the case for 10 years, it's not something that AVB and AVB alone has had to deal with. He's been given a sizeable warchest (excuse the cliche) over the past 18 months also, doesn't guarantee success but it increases your chances wouldn't you agree?

Of course it's early days but by the same token can you not see why some people are sceptical based on the performances? It's hard FOR ME to come to the conclusion that we're going to turn it on out of nowhere in the 2nd half of the season, but I don't rule it out either.

It's not just AVB dealing with it, but AVB seems like someone with a plan to help us compete beyond our means. I think Harry was very good at getting a team to perform to it's normal level, with no massive fluctuations, where as AVB is someone with the potential to make us step up because there is a detailed plan behind what he is doing. I think Ramos also had similar ideas and I would have been willing to give him a similar amount of patience, but the players gave up on him. This time around however the players seem fully behind the manager, so I see no reason not to carry on.

Last season we stepped it up in the second half of the campaign, I think we were hovering around 7th or 8th this time last year having lost to Wigan, City and Arsenal in fairly quick succession. But we recovered and I think we can do it again - it's all about how the team is prepared and I think it is likely we will see a similar pattern. We're only one win from 4th, and a Liverpool team that was being raved about a week ago.

He had to endure this last year when he became our manager because of his Chelsea failings and his slow start. It wasn't until we started hitting form, got ourselves into 3rd/4th place that the press started to lay off him, and mainly because they all fell in love with Bale.

We've now got rid of Bale who was a press favourite and AVB is back to being the fall guy. Once again, down to our form really. Once we hit a bit of form, few wins on the bounce and we end up finding ourselves fighting for top four 3/4s of the way into the season will the press lay off.

It's just the way it will always be until AVB does win something and has us competing at the top.

Fair play to him taking on the Sunday paper clan. They all think themselves gods on that program full of much wisdom and experts on every sport they write about.

I guess you are referring to the Sunday Supplement. GHod I detest that program. The arrogance and exaggerated sense of self importance they display is amazing. They are red top jounos ffs, which is just above pond scum in the food chain.

I think AVB made an error today. Never a good idea to attack the press directly - just get on and let your football do the talking -look how the press have laid off Wenger since L'**** became top of the tree. He will continue to be a whipping boy, more so especially if the press smell blood. Today served no one well not AVB not the club. and WTF was the attack on Sugar? He needs to grow a thick skin to manage at the top level he just comes across as petulant.

Alex Ferguson would ban journalists from his press conferences because of what they wrote about him or the club, he also reportedly stopped talking to the BBC for 7 years because of a documentary they did about his son.

Worked out alright for him...

1470410_546250505468571_2108922868_n.jpg

BURN.gif

Look Lord Sugar is not my favourite person but in the end he saved the club from financial oblivion so really AVB should stay well clear of a spat. As I say let the football do the talking.

The attack on Sugar was due to Sugar coming out in the press and slating him when he's still coming to the games and is supposed to be a fan of the club. Someone with that level of influence shouldn't be questioning our head coach in public. As for criticising the press, it's pretty much widely accepted that AVB completely killed it. They will lay off him if he is successful, but they brought it on themselves, they choose to make it personal and until we are successful there's no reason why AVB can't give a bit back. They've already given him one of his worst weeks as Spurs boss and the team responded with a good performance against the champions. Any more personal attacks from them will very easily be shown up for what they are.

He had to endure this last year when he became our manager because of his Chelsea failings and his slow start. It wasn't until we started hitting form, got ourselves into 3rd/4th place that the press started to lay off him, and mainly because they all fell in love with Bale.

We've now got rid of Bale who was a press favourite and AVB is back to being the fall guy. Once again, down to our form really. Once we hit a bit of form, few wins on the bounce and we end up finding ourselves fighting for top four 3/4s of the way into the season will the press lay off.

It's just the way it will always be until AVB does win something and has us competing at the top.

Exactly. I didn't see them slating him during our win streak last season. I don't buy that there's an agenda from the media.

Alex Ferguson would ban journalists from his press conferences because of what they wrote about him or the club, he also reportedly stopped talking to the BBC for 7 years because of a documentary they did about his son.

Worked out alright for him...

Seriously are you comparing AVB to Alex Ferguson? You must be chuckling even as you wrote this post. Fergie could say what he liked based on the fact he was the most successful manager of all time. AVB has achieved no where near that groundswell of positive opinion.

Look Lord Sugar is not my favourite person but in the end he saved the club from financial oblivion so really AVB should stay well clear of a spat. As I say let the football do the talking.

Have you watched the interview for yourself or are you just reading reports?

Come on man. There's clearly more to this story than that. Sugar knows business but he doesn't get football - and yet he's been very happy to be in the press this week ****ging off our manager on footballing grounds. He's been shown up and deservedly so.

Sugar does himself no favours with his Piers Morgan-style whingeing on twitter. They are both equally clueless about football.

Seriously are you comparing AVB to Alex Ferguson? You must be chuckling even as you wrote this post. Fergie could say what he liked based on the fact he was the most successful manager of all time. AVB has achieved no where near that groundswell of positive opinion.

Did I?

Nope... I read your post and replied to what you wrote, I took what you wrote seriously. Particularly the part I bolded where you wrote "Never a good idea to attack the press directly".

The attack on Sugar was due to Sugar coming out in the press and slating him when he's still coming to the games and is supposed to be a fan of the club. Someone with that level of influence shouldn't be questioning our head coach in public. As for criticising the press, it's pretty much widely accepted that AVB completely killed it. They will lay off him if he is successful, but they brought it on themselves, they choose to make it personal and until we are successful there's no reason why AVB can't give a bit back. They've already given him one of his worst weeks as Spurs boss and the team responded with a good performance against the champions. Any more personal attacks from them will very easily be shown up for what they are.

That is just not how the press work in this country. Spurs fans may think AVB did great I can almost guarantee AVB will have done no favours to his rep outside of the club and probably with the club hierarchy. Rafa became something of a joke after his fergie rant and it did him no favours.

bearing in mind Sugar's track record with managers the less he rates AVB the happier I am with him in charge

Exactly. I didn't see them slating him during our win streak last season. I don't buy that there's an agenda from the media.

So you think Moyes and Pellegrini got a similar level of coverage against them when we were above them in the table? Absolutely no way. The scale that AVB has had to deal with this week has been ridiculous.

Just a simple example like calling a tactical decision 'his pig headed high line defence' or 'the beauty of being AVB is it's always someone else's fault' or delibrately writing that he was seperating himself from the team's display last week and failing to understand basic pronouns so they can fit it into their agenda.

There has clearly been something personal going on here. Of course they will lay off when we pick up results because they would look stupid not to, but when things go against us they jump on top of him quicker and heavier than they do with anyone else.

Managers and teams will always get a slating when teams off form, especially one who spent £100m worth on players in the summer and are struggling to score goals, it's inevitable. It's just one of those things, I personally don't mind AVB going back at them, if the journos are going to say **** in their paper then AVB can quite easily say **** to their face in a press conference.

But we start winning games, starting Wednesday against Fulham and the paper ******** will stop.

That is just not how the press work in this country. Spurs fans may think AVB did great I can almost guarantee AVB will have done no favours to his rep outside of the club and probably with the club hierarchy. Rafa became something of a joke after his fergie rant and it did him no favours.

I ask again, have you watched the press conference? Why are you comparing it to Rafa's rant? Did it look to you like AVB was ranting?

Back