• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

To be honest I dont think there was much wrong with that Ashton article. Obviously AVB isnt gonna like it.

To be honest I dont think there was much wrong with that Ashton article. Obviously AVB isnt gonna like it.

He might be just picking a fight to take the pressure off the players. A classic Ferguson and Mourinho tactic.

That would be great.

The pressure is well and truly on for AVB. I don't think it's as bad as some on here are saying (some were saying he would be gone if we lost to or played poorly against United or something like that), but the pressure is certainly there and he can feel it. It's about how he responds and how he can make the team respond.

Poor results in these 3 games would not be good for his, or Levy's, digestion going into Christmas dinners.

And yet we're only 3 points off Everton and Liverpool and 1 off Southampton, whose managers are apparently doing a smashing job.

He might be just picking a fight to take the pressure off the players. A classic Ferguson and Mourinho tactic.

I agree fully.

And yet we're only 3 points off Everton and Liverpool and 1 off Southampton, whose managers are apparently doing a smashing job.

True. Although Southampton isn't really a great measuring stick as they could be 5 points behind us at this stage and they could still be happy so of course they will be happy where they are. Something similar is true for Everton I think.

It does go to show how narrow the margins can be, and it's probably not fair. But I still think the pressure is on, fairly or not.

Exactly this, AVB has never been a fav with the media and defo never will be now, but who cares...

Yaya Toure is a world class player that regularly causes problems for just about all opposing teams. To me controlling midfield is more about what happens in the centre of the park. Navas causing massive problems for Vertonghen at left back didn't seem all that relevant.

I thought Fernandinho was good, particularly defensively, but I thought other players were the stand out players myself.

Edit: Did you think that City outplayed us in that first half? Did you feel that they outplayed us throughout the half?

You can't only talk about the central midfield when you're talking about a midfield battle ESPECIALLY when one of the so called 'wide players' comes in centrally a lot and does most of his damage from a central position ( nasri).
Gnu I think city dingdonged on us first half. Yes two goals were mistakes but their movement generally was exceptional and they looked like scoring every opportunity. That had a lot to do with nasri coming in field and aguero dropping deep, essentially playing as as midfielder. They won the midfield battle by a landslide.

Jurgen.
Mate.

Let me try and put this to bed (in the spirit of discussion mate, that's all).

Harry Redknapp wasn't criticized by ANYONE for two FULL seasons. The knives started coming out after he basically DISRESPECTED the club for a SECOND season in a row by taking his proverbial eye off ALL balls for the second-half of a season when top 4 was there for the taking (top 3 in his final season). Further, had he EVER taken on some accountability, he'd have been fine by most people. But he never did. indeed, as he was in England job PR overdrive, he staunchly refuted the claim that the England job was affecting things saying that 'players don't care who the manager is they just play' (paraphrase) whilst just before he was let go, he was saying he should have a contract extension because 'players need the stability of knowing who the manager is' (paraphrase).

The AVB situation is completely different IMO. IF he gets sacked at any time between now and the end of the season, the one thing no-one can accuse him of is lack of 100% application to the job.

For me at any rate, my major issue with Harry was precisely that, doubled up with his inability to ever take on any portion of blame and never EVER held his hands in the air. He had two of the most influential players at Spurs since Hoddle and Ardiles and he (quite understandably) rode that all the way. I believe he could've ridden it much further with a bit more attention to detail those last two half-seasons. In the end, softie old me probably would've felt sorrier for him if he'd managed to at least ****ing apologize for his part in the failures.

Again, I think hammering AVB for reasons of not enjoying the football is one thing (I disagree as I think he is a midfield passer away from greatness) but regardless, I get it, opinions and all that. What I get wound up about is when I see people get angry about some of us giving a counter-point, based on perceptions of how the previous manager was treated. Because it's irrelevant really.

Again mate, in the spirit of debate and discussion. I think you're one of the few who can see that I'm not on a wind-up here...

Hmm, I would have to disagree. There were people calling for his head when we finished 5th in 10/11, ok it wasn't a majority but it was a very vocal minority. This became exacerbated when we lost the first two games of the following seasons by heavy scorelines.

As for everything that happened AFTER that period, can't really argue with people's reasoning for wanting him out after that. I didn't want him out, but I did want someone to pay for us not getting 3rd and I was ambivalent when he was sacked rather than outraged.

Goes without saying AVB is only into his second season, but I have definitely noticed more patience from certain posters who were the complete opposite during the previous manager's time at the club. I only wish they supported the last guy the same way they do AVB. I don't hide the fact that I'm unimpressed with AVB this season, but I want him to prove me wrong all the same.

You are one of the few posters who wanted Arry out that actually admits he did a lot of good at the club and feel he missed the chance to be even more successful rather than belittling any success he did achieve as if almost any other bloke could have done the same and Arry's results were a fluke. I've changed my opinion of him as you know, but I still don't see the merit in constantly putting him down, I mean did people seriously not enjoy beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, AC Milan and Inter Milan regardless of how they felt about the manager's personality or managerial ability?

It also makes water heaters do this: ;)

Bleve_Mythbusters_235_DJFss.jpg

We'll this season we'll find out whether AVB is a diamond or a water heater....

Hmm, I would have to disagree. There were people calling for his head when we finished 5th in 10/11, ok it wasn't a majority but it was a very vocal minority. This became exacerbated when we lost the first two games of the following seasons by heavy scorelines.

As for everything that happened AFTER that period, can't really argue with people's reasoning for wanting him out after that. I didn't want him out, but I did want someone to pay for us not getting 3rd and I was ambivalent when he was sacked rather than outraged.

Goes without saying AVB is only into his second season, but I have definitely noticed more patience from certain posters who were the complete opposite during the previous manager's time at the club. I only wish they supported the last guy the same way they do AVB. I don't hide the fact that I'm unimpressed with AVB this season, but I want him to prove me wrong all the same.

You are one of the few posters who wanted Arry out that actually admits he did a lot of good at the club and feel he missed the chance to be even more successful rather than belittling any success he did achieve as if almost any other bloke could have done the same and Arry's results were a fluke. I've changed my opinion of him as you know, but I still don't see the merit in constantly putting him down, I mean did people seriously not enjoy beating Arsenal, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, AC Milan and Inter Milan regardless of how they felt about the manager's personality or managerial ability?

AVB gets patience because he is seen as a long term appointment, putting a structure and plan in place, and generally going about our operations with a bit more thought.

I backed Harry until almost the end on here but before he got sacked there were people saying we needed someone with a long term plan, someone that could build something. Many recognised the position we were in as a club and that if we wanted to move forward considering our financial constraints then we would need some sort of system and structure that allowed us to over-achieve in the same way a Swansea type club has.

With that in mind, that is why AVB gets backed, and why people have 'faith' in him. Most are on board with the fact it is a long term project, and there will be bumps along the way. With Harry it felt to most like a missed opportunity because we had the chance to achieve so much more than we did with him, where as with AVB there is a recognition we need to build and we need to muck in through the bad times in order to get to the good.

it's less about 'faith' with me than it is about giving him enough time for me to be able make a judgment on where i think we will go under him. right now im less confident than i was in the summer that we will be a success, but then i haven't seen enough to say that it is not going to work.

AVB gets patience because he is seen as a long term appointment, putting a structure and plan in place, and generally going about our operations with a bit more thought.

I backed Harry until almost the end on here but before he got sacked there were people saying we needed someone with a long term plan, someone that could build something. Many recognised the position we were in as a club and that if we wanted to move forward considering our financial constraints then we would need some sort of system and structure that allowed us to over-achieve in the same way a Swansea type club has.

With that in mind, that is why AVB gets backed, and why people have 'faith' in him. Most are on board with the fact it is a long term project, and there will be bumps along the way. With Harry it felt to most like a missed opportunity because we had the chance to achieve so much more than we did with him, where as with AVB there is a recognition we need to build and we need to muck in through the bad times in order to get to the good.

I get that he needs time, but there shouldn't be more lenience towards him if results are bad and there isn't evidence of our play improving despite pro AVB posters insistence that we are playing well after terrible results. It's well and good saying things will come good, but I judge this on performances and results, not my personal belief in the manager.

I do believe some people overstate the job he was given and the state of the club when he took over. Fair enough we needed to get shot of certain players, but we still had a core squad that was top 6 material at worst. It's almost like they believe we were a struggling mid table side when he took over. Granted we lost some key players, but we had just finished 4th, not 14th.

it's less about 'faith' with me than it is about giving him enough time for me to be able make a judgment on where i think we will go under him. right now im less confident than i was in the summer that we will be a success, but then i haven't seen enough to say that it is not going to work.

Fair enough can't argue with that.

Not with AVB at the helm its not. The guy talked to PSG in the summer. We all know how Levy felt about Jol talking to Saudi Sportswashing Machine that time. And that's why I dont think Levy is gonna very patient.

Not with AVB at the helm its not. The guy talked to PSG in the summer. We all know how Levy felt about Jol talking to Saudi Sportswashing Machine that time. And that's why I dont think Levy is gonna very patient.

Thought it was Monaco?

Him being linked with Monaco, his old Porto players signing for Monaco? Him being in Monaco and a friendly being announced with Monaco?

I was under the impression that if we didnt achieve top 4, he'd be off to Monaco.

Ashton has tried to respond - I think he does a particular poor job, doesn't really do a good job of explaining away the 'we should be ashamed' difference and tries to write off personal attacks as 'part of the job'. 'AVB literally has shares in you, owned' was good for a laugh though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rs-job-Andre-Villas-Boas-furore-mind-own.html

](*,)

It might not have been best for AVB personally to do it but I'm glad he told this piece of **** off.

Ashton really is scum of the earth.

If any of us could have done the job he'd done at Porto, why doesn't Ashton go ahead and do so? He'd earn a hell of a lot more money than he does writing ******** for the mail.

And AVB can (rightly) be accused of and criticised for a lot of different things. Always blaming it on someone else is not one of them.

Last edited:

Spurs' current points total of 21 is 1 better than this time last season, the year in which we achieved our best ever PL points total.

I like this stat.

Here's a comparative table, showing teams in their current positions, followed by the points and goal difference, respectively, relative to last season's table after the same number of games, and with the position occupied at the equivalent point last season in brackets.

01 АRЅЕ +11 +07 (06)
02 CHEL +02 +02 (04)
03 MANC -04 +10 (02)
04 LIVP +08 +08 (11)
05 EVER +03 +02 (05)
06 NEWC +09 +07 (14)
07 SOTN +11 +16 (17)
08 MANU -08 -09 (01)
09 TOTT +01 -04 (07)
10 HULL --- --- (--)
11 ASTV +06 +11 (18)
12 WBRM -11 -07 (03)
13 SWAN -02 -04 (09)
14 NORW -01 -03 (13)
15 WHAM -06 -03 (08)
16 STOK -03 -06 (12)
17 CARD --- --- (--)
18 FULM -06 -15 (10)
19 SUND -04 -12 (16)
20 CPAL --- --- (--)

Far from irretrievable, IMO, but then it all rather depends.

Last edited:
Back