• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Commoli wasn't crap at all tbh. He brought in Luka and Berbatov who both managed to make us approximately 20m profit each and Bale who will probably make us 80m profit if we was to sell. Those cancel everything bad he has done imo.

Commoli wasn't crap at all tbh. He brought in Luka and Berbatov who both managed to make us approximately 20m profit each and Bale who will probably make us 80m profit if we was to sell. Those cancel everything bad he has done imo.

I agree, I probably should have typed in that I did appreciate some of his quality signings because it's true that he brought some great players in for us. But in terms of building a balanced squad - he was crap and set us back 2-4 years IMO, and then did the same to Liverpool.

Hopefully now though with the set up we have, it should be progress. Commoli had to work with Jol who wasn't his man, but Baldini and AVB seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. I just really hope Baldini is here for the long haul.

Like Baldini apparently is, Comolli was excellent at persuading players they should join the club he works at. The DoF isn't hired to be a scout, though he will obviously be aware of some players and have agent connections. This is where the transfer committee comes in.

The thing that does worry me slightly with the whole technical director structure is we have seen that they can get poached just as easily as managers can, or turn out to be crap like Commoli. I do think we've gotten a genuinely quality set up with Baldini as Technical Director (although he has moved jobs pretty frequently in the last few years, what's to say he won't again and put us back to square one?) and AVB as manager, and I just hope it lasts. If it does, I can see us establish ourselves as title challengers.

There's nothing stopping him, but I believe Levy has waited years for the right guy again, thus I choose unrelenting optimism!

wow....hope Levy has plans in place

Due the current position of the club, and the fact our Chairman historically lacks patience, I don't think matters. If they do well, they'll be poached. If they do badly, they'll be fired. Either way AVB/Baldini are unlikely to be at the club in 5 years time, or even 3 years time for that matter so what AVB's plans are in 15 years time aren't really relevant to us.

As with most things in life, it is subjective and criteria dependant. If a Director of Football's mandate is to turn player purchases to profit then he was an outstanding success (although I think all the hard work had been done on Berbatov prior to his arrival, he was an Arnesen target I believe).

If a Director of Football's mandate is to buy the right required players at the right time to take the team forward, then I don't think he was a success because by the time he left there was some glaring gaps in the first team that hadn't been corrected.

Like Baldini apparently is, Comolli was excellent at persuading players they should join the club he works at. The DoF isn't hired to be a scout, though he will obviously be aware of some players and have agent connections. This is where the transfer committee comes in.

And Liverpool will be forever grateful for that :lol:

The thing that does worry me slightly with the whole technical director structure is we have seen that they can get poached just as easily as managers can, or turn out to be crap like Commoli. I do think we've gotten a genuinely quality set up with Baldini as Technical Director (although he has moved jobs pretty frequently in the last few years, what's to say he won't again and put us back to square one?) and AVB as manager, and I just hope it lasts. If it does, I can see us establish ourselves as title challengers.

This is not really different from the one manager with all the power system. If successful there's always a chance that a bigger club tries to get your manager or technical director.

The advantage of the DoF/technical director is that unless both get poached at the same time (unlikely) at least one of them will still be around to continue the work along the same lines. If a manager is poached he often bring along most of his backroom staff anyway, it really can become back to square one.

This is not really different from the one manager with all the power system. If successful there's always a chance that a bigger club tries to get your manager or technical director.

The advantage of the DoF/technical director is that unless both get poached at the same time (unlikely) at least one of them will still be around to continue the work along the same lines. If a manager is poached he often bring along most of his backroom staff anyway, it really can become back to square one.

hopefully, should one be poached, Levy will have learned from the Commoli/Ramos/Jol affair and that whoever comes in as a replacement (be that coach or DoF) it is important for the existing employee to be thought of.

Jol was Arnesens boy and clearly not the ideal person to work under the incoming DoF which set us back considerably - the way Baldini has been brought in, someone who apparently shares the existing Head Coaches outlook would suggest that Levy has learned from the previous mistake

hopefully, should one be poached, Levy will have learned from the Commoli/Ramos/Jol affair and that whoever comes in as a replacement (be that coach or DoF) it is important for the existing employee to be thought of.

Jol was Arnesens boy and clearly not the ideal person to work under the incoming DoF which set us back considerably - the way Baldini has been brought in, someone who apparently shares the existing Head Coaches outlook would suggest that Levy has learned from the previous mistake

It's seemingly worked out really well for us with AVB wanting a technical director and his preferred option becoming available and joining us. Although Levy's patience probably played a part it won't always be that easy.

Arnesen was more or less allowed to chose his man in Jol after the Santini fiasco, but when Arnesen was poached and we wanted a new DoF it might just have been a situation where the ideal replacement that wanted to work with Jol and vice versa wasn't available. Comolli was again allowed to chose his man in Ramos once Jol left. It was more a failure of ability between the two of them than a systematic failure I think.

I think that when the time comes, we will be very much ahead of the game...I would no be surprised to on day see Sherwood prominently involved. He is highly regarded by Levy.

Nice to see AVB and the lads have a get-together tonight before pre-season training starts in earnest...

OtvIAZ6.gif

Back