• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

The fact that this 'person; is an elected representative, with power, in thus clamry, tells you all you need to know about the future those of us who live here face. My grandparents fled Odessa in the early 1920's and settled (and met) in New York. My dad was born here and I moved here from London in 1989. I despair at what horrors are awaiting so many in the US and A the coming months and years. The Democratic Party are either massively incompetent, or complicit, in not squashing the Far Right, racist Republicans. On the plus side, this might make me leave and come back to London soon so that I can watch Ange ball as schools and hospitals crumble die to poor concrete (I might have had sone wine).

The fact that this 'person; is an elected representative, with power, in thus clamry, tells you all you need to know about the future those of us who live here face. My grandparents fled Odessa in the early 1920's and settled (and met) in New York. My dad was born here and I moved here from London in 1989. I despair at what horrors are awaiting so many in the US and A the coming months and years. The Democratic Party are either massively incompetent, or complicit, in not squashing the Far Right, racist Republicans. On the plus side, this might make me leave and come back to London soon so that I can watch Ange ball as schools and hospitals crumble die to poor concrete (I might have had sone wine).
It appears to me that the dems are mostly guilty of still engaging in a style of politics that requires the opposition to work in good faith. The battle of ideas and compromise across the aisle was the old way, and it's long dead. They are bringing a spoon to a gunfight. The GOP has long abandoned any notion of government by consent. It is closer to cult now and needless to say this poses a huge problem in a two-party system.

I can see why you'd leave America. I get it. But coming back here might not be the greatest decision?

There's a whole world out there, brother

It appears to me that the dems are mostly guilty of still engaging in a style of politics that requires the opposition to work in good faith. The battle of ideas and compromise across the aisle was the old way, and it's long dead. They are bringing a spoon to a gunfight. The GOP has long abandoned any notion of government by consent. It is closer to cult now and needless to say this poses a huge problem in a two-party system.

TBH is the other side any different?
No political side will accept any criticism any more, there is no discourse, it's all just a mud slinging circus.

TBH is the other side any different?
No political side will accept any criticism anymore, there is no discourse, it's all just a mud slinging circus.
They are completely different in my opinion. While there are certainly plenty of examples of dems mud-slinging, they are as a group famously timid when it comes to that sort of thing. It was Gingrich as the speaker who saw the writing on the wall regarding the GOP dwindling voter base and decided that partisan disagreements were now to be hot battles to fuel a culture war and rile the base. There is more or less a dotted line from him to Trump. The dems govern while the GOP crave power. They are not the same.

They are completely different in my opinion. While there are certainly plenty of examples of dems mud-slinging, they are as a group famously timid when it comes to that sort of thing. It was Gingrich as the speaker who saw the writing on the wall regarding the GOP dwindling voter base and decided that partisan disagreements were now to be hot battles to fuel a culture war and rile the base. There is more or less a dotted line from him to Trump. The dems govern while the GOP crave power. They are not the same.

They aren't as bad, would be difficult not to be, but they are all heading in the same direction.
Some quicker than others, but it's the direction of travel in politics.

They aren't as bad, would be difficult not to be, but they are all heading in the same direction.
Some quicker than others, but it's the direction of travel in politics.
I completely disagree on that but I might not be understanding exactly what you are getting at. What do you mean by direction?

I completely disagree on that but I might not be understanding exactly what you are getting at. What do you mean by direction?

I am speaking about politics in general and I suspect you are focusing on the Democrats, American politics thread, my bad :).
Policy is no longer important, don't debate the policy attack the opponent.
Mainly in my opinion because the policy will for various reasons prove unpopular and be a hard sell.
So attack the opponent on a personal level.

I’d avoid a return to Little Britain. There are much better places.

Back