• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Alan Pardew

i take it arsenal never had any injuries this season and last season. and they too arent missing key players from last year?

What's that got to do with them potentially having a 'freebie' right at the death in an important game where margins are so thin?

i take it arsenal never had any injuries this season and last season. and they too arent missing key players from last year?

They replaced a star goalscorer with a star creative player in Cazorla and decent strikers in Giroud and Podolski. Imo, they've done well - losing that bit of superstar finishing but upgrading their creativity while retaining the possession players that are essentially their defense. It's not like us, ripping out our entire creativity and brains and passing ability and replacing them with direct players with much less creativity. That's just killing us in midfield and the final third; that's why we're midtable in terms of clear chances created, barely above Saudi Sportswashing Machine. We did upgrade our defense, but that went to pot after Sandro got injured. :(

Or look at Liverpool - they retained Suarez and Gerrard, then went out and splashed money on whoever Brendan wanted (Borini, Allen, Sahin, Sturridge, Coutinho etc). That way at least they couldn't go backwards, since they didn't lose anyone of any significance.

Basically - you lose a 24m player (RVP), you buy a 24m player (Cazorla). You lose a star attacker, you buy a star attacker. You shouldn't be selling off a 33m player and replacing them with a 16m player unless he's a really, really amazing prospect and the ideal stylistic fit for your team. (Liverpool found this out when they replaced Alonso with the strangely disappearing case of Aquilani, plunging from second to seventh in one season.) We are not the big heavyweights in our league like Porto or Ajax; when your rivals spend so much money every summer, you can't afford to make a profit and just rely on your youth production line or genius scouting without a little bit of luck involved. And this season, we haven't gotten that luck.

Can we keep improving with a negative net spend? I think it's *possible*, if challenging, but whoever is doing our transfers needs to be be cleverer and we need to look outside the price-inflated PL market. Prem-proven may be less risky but I believe the bottom line is: if we're going to have the smallest chance of success in such a competitive field, we need to take a few risks.

They replaced a star goalscorer with a star creative player in Cazorla and decent strikers in Giroud and Podolski. Imo, they've done well - losing that bit of superstar finishing but upgrading their creativity while retaining the possession players that are essentially their defense. It's not like us, ripping out our entire creativity and brains and passing ability and replacing them with direct players with much less creativity. That's just killing us in midfield and the final third; that's why we're midtable in terms of clear chances created, barely above Saudi Sportswashing Machine. We did upgrade our defense, but that went to pot after Sandro got injured. :(

Or look at Liverpool - they retained Suarez and Gerrard, then went out and splashed money on whoever Brendan wanted (Borini, Allen, Sahin, Sturridge, Coutinho etc). That way at least they couldn't go backwards, since they didn't lose anyone of any significance.

Basically - you lose a 24m player (RVP), you buy a 24m player (Cazorla). You lose a star attacker, you buy a star attacker. You shouldn't be selling off a 33m player and replacing them with a 16m player unless he's a really, really amazing prospect and the ideal stylistic fit for your team. (Liverpool found this out when they replaced Alonso with the strangely disappearing case of Aquilani, plunging from second to seventh in one season.) We are not the big heavyweights in our league like Porto or Ajax; when your rivals spend so much money every summer, you can't afford to make a profit and just rely on your youth production line or genius scouting without a little bit of luck involved. And this season, we haven't gotten that luck.

Can we keep improving with a negative net spend? I think it's *possible*, if challenging, but whoever is doing our transfers needs to be be cleverer and we need to look outside the price-inflated PL market. Prem-proven may be less risky but I believe the bottom line is: if we're going to have the smallest chance of success in such a competitive field, we need to take a few risks.

Why does everyone seem to refer to the Liverpool manager by his first name only?

Why does everyone seem to refer to the Liverpool manager by his first name only?

might have something to do with this

brendan-rodgers-david-brent.jpg

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is saying that...

But the point that they have had problems and dealt with them well doesn't take anything away from the point that we have had problems and dealt with most of them well.

As far as injuries, I think they've been much less afflicted this season compared to last season.

I agree about Arsenal. Their goals scored stat last season compared to last season illustrates the point you make I think.

Last season:
Van Persie - 30
Walcott - 8
Arteta - 6
Vermaelen - 6
Gervinho - 4
Benayoun - 4

This season:
Walcott - 14
Cazorla - 12
Giroud - 11
Podolski - 11
Arteta - 6
Gervinho - 5

Their forward/attacking player scoring the third most last season was Gervinho with 4, this season they have 4 players with 10+ league goals.

----

I disagree with your second point though, it's not as easy as "if you lose a £Xm player you need to buy a £Xm player". You mention some examples where clubs haven't done that and it hasn't worked out for them, but we didn't replace Modric with anyone nearly as costly and United never signed anyone closed to what Ronaldo was sold for.

The important part isn't the cost of the incoming player, but how good they are an how well they fit the team. It's also possible to replace expensive players "before they are sold", by continuously bringing in younger players and developing them so that when an expensive player is being sold there's someone ready to step up either in that position or in another position. Porto is a great example of this, I think United deserves a mention too.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much Saudi Sportswashing Machine can be motivated by Pardew, it's never going to come anywhere near the intensity of Arsenal's.

All we can hope for is a freak result imv.

We need a few newspaper stories this week linking us to Saudi Sportswashing Machine players. Playing for a move might get them motivated.

Small time comments from a small time manager of a small time club. Good to see last season was just a blip and normal services have resumed. What player worth their salt would want to remain at a club who switches off once relegation is mathematically impossible.
"Small time club". My small time club have come in the top 3, five times since Tottenham last did. To be fair if it was Tottenham who needed to do us a favour I'd be asking the same questions, but we're Saudi Sportswashing Machine not Oxford United, I'll be surprised if we lose on Sunday if we play like our last two games, but the two prior to that, well different story.

I appreciate many on here are new football fans, but we're Saudi Sportswashing Machine, the third best supported club in the country by gates. Only a complete idiot would think our fans would accept anything other than 100% effort against Arsenal. The last two performances against West Ham and QPR, have been a lot better. If we play well we won't lose to Arsenal that is a fact. They've only won here in the league something like three times in the last 15 years, and this is their worst side in that period in my view, also we've had worse sides than this who have beaten them.

I really don't think many people on here have a clue about English football if you think Saudi Sportswashing Machine will lie down for Arsenal, we're not Wigan or Reading, we didn't even lose 9 home games when we were relegated, if we do Pardew should walk, he should walk anyway. Irrespective of what Pardew is saying, there's a clause in his contract that says if we come bottom 5 he can be sacked with one years compo, if he's sacked outside the bottom five its his full contract. We'll be fine, just concentrate on beating Sunderland. I repeat we are Saudi Sportswashing Machine at St James' Park in front of 53,000. Would you be confident of winning here given the fact you hardly ever do?

I'm confident we will beat Arsenal, and I haven't been confident about most games this season.

Reason being is because Pardews job is hanging by a thread, and he will get a lucky win to keep his job. We beat Chelsea at home 3-2 with a good performance, and im expecting the same this Sunday

Last ten Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd v Arsenal league fixtures

2011/12 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 0 - 0 Arsenal (Premier League)

2010/11 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 4 - 4 Arsenal (Premier League)

2008/09 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 1 - 3 Arsenal (Premier League)

2007/08 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 1 - 1 Arsenal Premier League

2006/07 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 0 - 0 Arsenal (Premier League)

2005/06 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 1 - 0 Arsenal (Premier League)

2004/05 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 0 - 1 Arsenal (Premier League)

2003/04 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 0 - 0 Arsenal (Premier League)

2002/03 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 1 - 1 Arsenal (Premier League)

2001/02 Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd 0 - 2 Arsenal (Premier League)

won 3, drawn 6, lost 1

I'm confident we will beat Arsenal, and I haven't been confident about most games this season.

Reason being is because Pardews job is hanging by a thread, and he will get a lucky win to keep his job. We beat Chelsea at home 3-2 with a good performance, and im expecting the same this Sunday

I'll make you a board hero if it happens!

"Small time club". My small time club have come in the top 3, five times since Tottenham last did. To be fair if it was Tottenham who needed to do us a favour I'd be asking the same questions, but we're Saudi Sportswashing Machine not Oxford United, I'll be surprised if we lose on Sunday if we play like our last two games, but the two prior to that, well different story.

I appreciate many on here are new football fans, but we're Saudi Sportswashing Machine, the third best supported club in the country by gates. Only a complete idiot would think our fans would accept anything other than 100% effort against Arsenal. The last two performances against West Ham and QPR, have been a lot better. If we play well we won't lose to Arsenal that is a fact. They've only won here in the league something like three times in the last 15 years, and this is their worst side in that period in my view, also we've had worse sides than this who have beaten them.

I really don't think many people on here have a clue about English football if you think Saudi Sportswashing Machine will lie down for Arsenal, we're not Wigan or Reading, we didn't even lose 9 home games when we were relegated, if we do Pardew should walk, he should walk anyway. Irrespective of what Pardew is saying, there's a clause in his contract that says if we come bottom 5 he can be sacked with one years compo, if he's sacked outside the bottom five its his full contract. We'll be fine, just concentrate on beating Sunderland. I repeat we are Saudi Sportswashing Machine at St James' Park in front of 53,000. Would you be confident of winning here given the fact you hardly ever do?

I didn't know that, and I am sure it will concentrate Pardew's mind. I take your point about Spurs at Saudi Sportswashing Machine too... I am much happier that we are playing the Black Shirt fascists at WHL than having to win in front of 53,000 baying Geordies at St James Park. Please do us a favour! :)

Last edited:
That doesn't surprise me. He's rumored to be pretty lazy at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, rarely directs any training though I suppose you could argue plenty of managers including MON use their number twos as points of contact.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans hate him so they probably want a loss to get him kicked out faster. If we want any motivation from their team at all we'll have to be manufacture it ourselves. Promise them new Ferraris if they manage to take any points, promise Ben Arfa a transfer here if he scores the deciding goal, etc. ;)

Are you getting your info from someone that hates Pardew?

I only ask because from what I've read he seems to be very much a tracksuit manager that likes to get involved with his players and focusses on specific positioning in order to generate improved performances, he apparently has a lot of attention to detail. He's also said the Europa campaign hasn't helped him since he's had less time on the training field to do what he does best.

Stevie I remember you from the old spursweb where you used to chat your ridiculous guff about your small time club. Third highest gates don’t equate top the third best supported club by the way…
Whinge all you want, Saudi Sportswashing Machine are insignificant, no one cares about them unless its to ridicule them, just concentrate on doing your job for us on Sunday and keep your tedious Geordie Chemical Ali act on toon forums.

YES STEVIE! Get angry! Just think of all those londoners calling you small time, insulting the great name of your club.

Remember you do not want Sunderland finishing above you because I certainly wouldn't trust Spurs to do what their expected to!

Arsenal fans already expect it to be a walkover. They are laughing at you Stevie! Laughing at Saudi Sportswashing Machine! Show them what your made of!!!!

LOL, in all seriousness, I can only hope Saudi Sportswashing Machine do play as they did v Chelsea. I just think Arsenal have been in terrific form of late and it will be a difficult game for Saudi Sportswashing Machine to win or even draw. But I live in hope! Certainly got enough talent. How would you line up?

Back