• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Fantastic team spirit shown by Lennon today. Townsend gets two nasty tackles on him second one unpunished so Aaron goes and wipes the Villa man out. Doesn't matter that Townsend is after Lennon's place, the little man sticks up for his own.

I remember that happening previously. Against Middlesbrough I believe, Zokora got taken out by someone (might have been George Boateng) and Lennon went up and barged him and squared up to him.

At his best, I think Lennon's a better player than Townsend at his best. Not saying Townsend won't improve, that's just how I see it right now, October 2013.

However, because Townsend is indeed on top form right now, he has definitely earned the right to be considered first choice. For that to change, either Townsend's form would have to drop (let's hope not), or else Lennon needs to prove that he's back to his very best (in training and in the cups). In an ideal world, the competition will do them both a favour by forcing them to up their game. Ultimately, my hope would be that Lennon comes back into the first team over the next few months - but not because of favouritism or perceived seniority, but because he merits it.

Agree with most of that, thought we also saw a potential tactic for us today

- We spend a lot of time in possession of the ball
- Sitting on a lead and then having the option of Lennon (and JD) on the bench, means opponents who try to go all out for us in the last 10-15 minutes of a game, will run the risk of being badly hurt on the counter. Sandro/Paulinho, Dembele to win the ball in center, and just get it out wide ...

Fantastic team spirit shown by Lennon today. Townsend gets two nasty tackles on him second one unpunished so Aaron goes and wipes the Villa man out. Doesn't matter that Townsend is after Lennon's place, the little man sticks up for his own.

Yep, I noticed that.

I thought that Lennon did well too with that challenge, things seemed to be getting heated on the wing and good that he came over to fight for the cause of his teammate.

Yeah, I thought that too when I heard that passage of play on the radio. Makes a change from a situation when Scott Parker gets kicked in the head right beside Luka and he doesn't bat an eyelid!

I thought that the time too

Like to see Lennon start the next game on the left. Unless Sig scores he doesn't do much and he hasn't scored for a while. Chadli's not 100% fit and Lamela doesn't apparently like it out there so Lennon seems the obvious choice to me.

Like to see Lennon start the next game on the left. Unless Sig scores he doesn't do much and he hasn't scored for a while. Chadli's not 100% fit and Lamela doesn't apparently like it out there so Lennon seems the obvious choice to me.

Where did you get that idea?
He played a full 90 minutes against Anzhi didnt get on against West Ham. Then je started for Belgium there ahead of Hazard and came on as sub in the second game. He wasnt in the squad yesterday because AVB fancied getting Lennon some minutes.

Where did you get that idea?
He played a full 90 minutes against Anzhi didnt get on against West Ham. Then je started for Belgium there ahead of Hazard and came on as sub in the second game. He wasnt in the squad yesterday because AVB fancied getting Lennon some minutes.

I got that idea from him not being in the squad at all, yeah. I stand corrected.

One of the commentators for yesterday's match (in the US) was Graeme Le Saux. He said exactly that, that Lennon was backing up his teammate and it was part of the game.

One of the commentators for yesterday's match (in the US) was Graeme Le Saux. He said exactly that, that Lennon was backing up his teammate and it was part of the game.

Loved that to be honest and didn't expect it from Lennon given his reputation as being a bit soft when it comes to injuries.

For a long time now, we've had a reputation for being too nice. Would love to see the likes of Sandro and Dembele weigh in to situations like this too because, with all due respect to Azza, he isn't the scariest looking. Still give him massive credit for that yesterday.

Classic old school tactic, send in your smallest player to undertake the retribution as he is likely then to 'only' receive a strong talking to/yellow card than if you send over the big guys (in our case Sandro & Paulhinho) who are at risk as being seen by the ref as big bullies, and perhaps risking a red card. To be honest, although I liked the fact that Lennon took out Delphe in retribution for the two prior fouls on Townsend, it was a wild kick he gave him, nowhere near the ball, and in no way, shape or form could it be described as a genuine attempt to win the ball!

Loved that to be honest and didn't expect it from Lennon given his reputation as being a bit soft when it comes to injuries.

For a long time now, we've had a reputation for being too nice. Would love to see the likes of Sandro and Dembele weigh in to situations like this too because, with all due respect to Azza, he isn't the scariest looking. Still give him massive credit for that yesterday.

I think you have to be a bit smart about who does this and Sandro and Dembele will always pick up yellow cards for other offences, and will either be sent off or suspended for vital games. Lennon wont get that many. What surprised me a bit was that it was Lennon that reacted, how many times has he been kicked up in the air and not done anything about it.. Good pro..

Looked good when he came on. I think him and Andros are perfect if you want to keep one on the bench to be used as an impact player with 30/35 mins to go which will stretch teams. I would actually like to see us start a game with those two alongside a forward (not Defoe).

It is indeed great to see Lennon back in the squad, but slightly O/T where does all this leave Lamela?

Hindights a wonderful thing, but have we now possibly spent £30m we didnt really need to?

Back