• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A blog! Glass half-empty? Go and join the prawn sandwich phalanx!

It's a complete microwave mentality, everything in a 1 minute or less.

What gets me with Spurs fans is the CL entitlement, we must get 4th. I remember the excitement under BMJ when we were going to qualify for UEFA for the first time in years/decades? Let's not even talk about the brick team/managers I witnessed between the late 90s - the FA/BMJ era.

I find it sad that some people can't enjoy watching a Spurs team go out with the likes of Lloris, Vert, Dembele, Bale, Lennon and have the ability on the day to win almost any game. And enjoy the fact that in the last few years we have had Berbatov, Modric, VDV.

I remember "We're all going on a European tour" being sung with great gusto and a sense of achievement throughout the ground, now people think it's beneath us and nothing less than CL will do.

Perhaps the Premier League should start awarding trophies and medals for finishing second, third and fourth because with the current obsession that CL qualification is the be all & end all and far more important than winning a domestic cup there's a generation of players that are going to have nothing to put in their display cabinet when they retire.

Last edited:
If you offered a team a certain amount of points before the season started, slightly above the perceived quality of the team, most fans would more than likely take it. For us it would probably be in the 70-75 bracket. That would equal to something like 20-22 wins 8-10 draws and 6-10 defeats. We are on course for that right now, but you wouldn't think so reading some, actually quite a lot, of the comments on here. We aren't unbeatable. There will be games we play poorly and lose, there will also be games we play well and lose or games we play poorly and win, but mostly there will be games we play somewhere between average and good and pick up the 3 points. Why is it that all those scenarios lead to people being negative and critical of everything? The same brick repeated about the same players ad infinitum regardless of what they actually did in the preceding match.

Even the few times we play well and win people will find something to complain about. We didn't score enough or we should have done better in a specific situation. That's the thing about real life compared to a computer game, nothing is ever perfect. Why not enjoy the good stuff instead of looking for something to support preconceived negative views?

A bottom half team is expected to lose close to half their games (or grind out an incredible amount of draws), but they still think they should have won every game they played when looking back and every time it's about the commitment and effort of the players. The reason teams are where they are is the quality of their players and if a couple have a bad day it will have significant impact on the team, leading to a drop in the performance of others. If they were really as good as you seem to think and all that's needed is a bit of effort, why would anyone be happy to just survive at the start of the season? It used to be the other way around, you start off thinking you're unbeatable, but eventually settle for reality. Now the expectancies seem to grow for every game that passes.

Many will say they're just blowing off steam, but it was never like this in the olden days when we chatted football face to face. You'd be upset straight after a loss, but that was quickly forgotten and everyone would start waxing lyrical about the prospects ahead. Where did this breed of fans come from that are only happy when they're unhappy?

Good Question, i put it down to them being miserable sods ;)

You clearly don't sit next to me at the lane - I've been moaning since the end of the January transfer window where again we sat on the cash and failed to bring in someone capable of scoring some goals.
Since then we have relied on Bale's contributions, in a season when once again Chelsea have been stuttering and arsenal struggling to find their feet - not the team they once were but still capable of catching us despite the 2-1 win a few weeks ago. Why?
Because when it mattered most in Jan and any other transfer window we failed to land the players we needed to propel us forward a little. That's all we are asking for isn't it really?

We are now relying on a very temperamental striker who has shown no signs that he can be arsed this season, a very mediocre American and J. Defoe. Our midfield was overrun on Thursday by "super" Basel. So good they had to drop into the Europa from the CL. Parker just hasn't got what we need, creativity.

So thfcsteff while I understand your sentiment I disagree with it. Yes we are far better now than in the past but with 7 games to play I really think that our lack of depth is once again going to scupper our progression. Last year I blamed Harry for this, he stopped managing the club. This year I blame the chairman, his antics in the transfer windows are costing us all to save the club money. It's Alan Sugar all over again!

Watched Thursday's game down the pub rather than at home and it was decreed repeatedly at 0-2 that our season was over, AVB has no idea what the hell he is doing and that our squad is brick. Almost left at half-time to watch the rest at home. When the second goal went in I made a comment about how The Lane must be absolutely rocking right now and was greeted with silence. That's why I only turn up for the big games these days

Of course I forgot we're skint

No I didn't you perceived that, we have money, we flirt with spending some of it, we leave it all until the last day, invariably it goes tits up, we look good for 80% of the season, we don't quite do it, we're left disappointed, it starts all over again, we are expected to be happy with this because we were crap in the past

Watched Thursday's game down the pub rather than at home and it was decreed repeatedly at 0-2 that our season was over, AVB has no idea what the hell he is doing and that our squad is brick. Almost left at half-time to watch the rest at home. When the second goal went in I made a comment about how The Lane must be absolutely rocking right now and was greeted with silence. That's why I only turn up for the big games these days
Who decreed this and what was the silence? In the pub or on the TV? It wasn't rocking

No I didn't you perceived that, we have money, we flirt with spending some of it, we leave it all until the last day, invariably it goes tits up, we look good for 80% of the season, we don't quite do it, we're left disappointed, it starts all over again, we are expected to be happy with this because we were crap in the past

"sitting on the cash" implies we have money sitting around waiting to be spent.

that is not the case with Spurs at all - we have no money lying around waiting to be spent and any transfer deals have to be thought about in a long term sense as we will be paying for any transfer over several seasons. so blowing money in January on a striker and failing to make CL would be disastrous for us

Short termism Steff?! Quite the opposite. How sanctimonious can you be?!

I want Spurs to build into the future; I am not looking at this season or the next, I am looking 5 and 10 years hence.

It is you who is short-termist, trying to stretch our squad to win the EL and qualify for the CL in the same year, with the thin squad we have?

You want it all, and you want it now. Not me, YOU.

I want us to forego the short-term goal of winning a trophy now and focus on getting into the CL so that we have the money to invest and improve the squad properly this time, as opposed to repeatedly ****ing up transfer windows.

I want us to forego the short-term goal of winning a trophy now and focus on getting into the CL so that we have the money to invest and improve the squad properly this time, as opposed to repeatedly ****ing up transfer windows.

until we can compete with City Chelsea and United on a more level playing field we may as well take the chance to win trophies as and when we can.

qualifying for the CL will not see us invest heavily in the squad (as we have already seen) - we'll continue to do as we always have and look for bargains and potential

until we can compete with City Chelsea and United on a more level playing field we may as well take the chance to win trophies as and when we can.

qualifying for the CL will not see us invest heavily in the squad (as we have already seen) - we'll continue to do as we always have and look for bargains and potential

If that was definitely true, I would see your point - but I think Levy will spend money IF we have it to spend.

Recent accounts have had very low profits, so we are spending what we can without going overboard.

Neither of us know if Levy would spend £30m if he had it handed to him on a plate, or not.

Steff , pretty sure you did the same thing last season as what you are accusing other people of now. granted it was slightly worse last year but this kind of thing is a simple case of disappointment.

for the 3rd time in 4 years we are victims of our own success. someone raises us higher than we should be and when we start to level out people like yourself last year and others this year start to overreact

Write a blog Affy!
Slam it down mate, give some opposition in essay form!!!!
Yes, I generally don't call a season 'over' with more than half a dozen games to go. Call me old-fashioned if you'd like, but it's simply not accurate.
Last season is very very different to this season...but we do not need to go back THERE again matey!!;)

But again, write an article/blog for the site!

Short termism Steff?! Quite the opposite. How sanctimonious can you be?!

I want Spurs to build into the future; I am not looking at this season or the next, I am looking 5 and 10 years hence.

It is you who is short-termist, trying to stretch our squad to win the EL and qualify for the CL in the same year, with the thin squad we have?

You want it all, and you want it now. Not me, YOU.

Write a blog. Do it.

For the record, I'm not trying to stretch anything matey, just sick and tired of short-term doom-mongering. I actually don't believe we will win the EL (my personal feeling) but while we're in it, I hope we can.

As for how sanctimonious I can be, don't ask. Apparently, being tinkled off at the moaning towards AVB and the team this season is 'sanctimony'...ah well...

Again though mate, why not write a blog, or an 'article' as they're termed for the front page of GG. Get the debate going, discussion, whatever...

If that was definitely true, I would see your point - but I think Levy will spend money IF we have it to spend.

Recent accounts have had very low profits, so we are spending what we can without going overboard.

Neither of us know if Levy would spend £30m if he had it handed to him on a plate, or not.

He did not have the money in Jan. He had 'some'...it was agreed that rather than spend 7-10 on a stop-gap, it'd be better to spend a lump on genuine class in the summer. Remember TV money is greater plus (hopeful) CL money. The key will be IF we can hang on and keep 3rd; that means guaranteed money and that means early summer spend. Otherwise look forward to another August deadline day scramble.

Again with the we just had money hanging around in January to spend and a whole bunch of World Class Strikers and Quick Wingers were begging Spurs to come get them ...

Does anybody really believe this?

Back