• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A blog! Glass half-empty? Go and join the prawn sandwich phalanx!

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
And so it was on Wednesday (actually, Thursday as was pointed out to me) April 3rd 2013 that the doom squad came screaming out from their dark caves, screeching about the problems, roaring about the stupidities, enraged about the failures of Tottenham Hotspur FC in their Europa League Cup Quarter-Final against FC Basle.
The game had ended 2-2 after a rather curious first-half which saw Basle (who played excellently) race into a donated lead and get pegged back before applying more pressure before Bale departed the pitch on a stretcher with an injury that (at that moment) seemed season-ending.

It was as though some couldn't wait to put their kicking boots on. AVB was, of course, a total and utter tosser with the tactical acumen of Helen Keller, Adebayor was to blame for most of it (he scored) and it was the end of our season because we were quite obviously already beaten in Basle next week and we would not win a football match without Bale and Lennon in the side. This all could've been avoided had we spunked a whole shedload of dosh on 'wide back-ups' in January (you know, spunked it on the plethora of talented wide players who were available at something around 10-15 million) and suddenly, the loaning of Andros Townshend has become one of the most stupid moves of the season. As for loaning out that match-winner Falque? Heinous! Heinous! Burn them at the stake! Burn someone! Anyone! It has to be someone's fault! It had to be avoidable! Is it AVB? Is it Levy? Burn them both, bastards, it's their faults! After all, we had just witnessed 'The End (tm)' of our season. Bale was obviously going to lose his leg below the knee. It was all over. We were brick. We ARE brick.
As midnight approached on Wed April 3rd, BTW, we were heading into Sunday's game against Everton at home in 3rd place, and would head to Basle with a 2-2 draw knowing we needed to win. Not ideal. But not really a disaster.

Not for those who have supported this wonderful football club for longer than a minute. And not for those who know a season ends in May. And not for those who view situations with perspective. And not for those who believe that however the cookie crumbles, you must push on with positives whenever possible.

I understand the whole 'post-match frustration' argument, and emotion is fine. I was asked by someone if I ever took off my rose-tinted sanctimonious specs, and I got it. Frustration and anger at a less than stunning night can often see people get tinkled off by those who try to balance out the venom.

But what I personally cannot abide, are the 'chippers'...those who repeatedly wait in the shadows to bash specific targets (whether that be the manager or specific individuals). No-one is beyond criticism and mistakes have been made. But we are 3rd. With what, 7 games to go? In the Q/Fs of a European competition? With all to play for? It stands to reason that this is because more GOOD had occurred than HARM during a first-season for the manager.

Personally, I think there are some spoilt 'instant gratification' fans among us who are quite simply part of this 'nu-instant gratification' society. Every single moment must be debated wildly, every single moment must have rights and wrongs, nothing contains context anymore, you're only as good as your last 5 minutes not your previous 31 games. Context? What's that?! No, I think there's a fine difference between expecting us to challenge for honours and the CL (as I do) and expecting it to be a GHod-given right despite the fact we have 36,000 seats to sell week in week out, and we do not have a sugar daddy who's prepared to get his wonga out at any slight invitation.

Tottenham Hotspur have 7 games left in the Premier League. We are 3rd. We have some tough games, but then if they were all easy, we'd hear people say that those are tough because those sides 'park the bus' and 'we cannot break them down'. Anyone who does not think, at this moment in time, that we stand a chance of making the Champions League next season, is a stone-cold pessimist who's glass is obviously always half-empty.

And right now, in my not-very-humble opinion, your glass needs to be at the very least half-full and at the very most brimming. This is football! This is YOUR team! This is MY team! This is OUR team! And however much money they get paid, players need the supporters more than EVER at times like these.

Come the end of the season, fine. Judge away. Discussion of problems and mistakes during games? Good Lord we've all enjoyed such things with our friends since the dawn of footballing time.
But stepping up for a big fat moan only when the going gets tough, slipping away when it gets good and popping back in when it's tough again? I'm sorry. That's poor. And if you want to live that sort of agenda, I'm sure we can find you a box with others of your ilk, complete with prawn sandwiches for your instant-gratification life.

Disagree with this blog? Write one yourself! glory-glory wants more blog posts! Please fire away...THFCSteff

Just FYI, this was absolutely written with the front page in mind (Scara wants more of these) and with the implicit hope that those who agree, disagree, whatever, get their druthers up to write counter blogs/articles...COYS

A great read mate and i agree with all of it, one thing you have not mentioned about the 'instant gratification' fans, one of the reasons is that so many think that because they can win every game on FIFA and the like it means they think REAL football is as easy to manage.

Just FYI, this was absolutely written with the front page in mind (Scara wants more of these) and with the implicit hope that those who agree, disagree, whatever, get their druthers up to write counter blogs/articles...COYS

Great post. I was 10 when we got relegated to the second division and that team was applauded off at the final home game of the relegation season. This season the team has been boo-ed off at half time when the result hasn't been going the right way.

Many on here have spoken of the 'wilderness years' and how good things are now. They are. And they can get better. The next month and a half will show us what this squad has to offer in terms of steel and grit. I was there in '84 when we won the UEFA Cup at The Lane, missing Clemence, Perryman, Hoddle and Crooks and with Ardiles as a sub. There were the likes of Graham Roberts, Paul Miller and Micky Hazard who willed us on. And we willed them on. A goal behind until late in the second half, extra time and penalties. Now is the time for the fans who follow the club to sing in full voice.

COYS!!!!!

I'm glad most of our current players no longer have this mentality.
They would have declared the season over at 2-0 down.

Well written well said - an excellent read which moved me.....off the couch to make a cup of tea.

Why do you think so many marriages break down people are always giving up at the first sign of trouble.

My Glass is half full - but looking at things logically losing bale and lennon is a devestating blow to our chances - in any situation this is not a positive for thfc.

But I applaud and jump on your never give-up never say die attitude bandwagon.

sometimes when i go to whl the opposition score everything is silent around me and I will yell and clap - come on spurs and get very strange looks......why do I do this because I want the team I support to know that I am behind them and want them to do well. I want my team to fight or go down fighting.

Thanks for that read and hopefully it humbles some - WHL can be a cauldron but recently as fans we have become muted (fulham home)

Lets stop feeling sorry for ourselves - its not the way we should be.

A great read mate and i agree with all of it, one thing you have not mentioned about the 'instant gratification' fans, one of the reasons is that so many think that because they can win every game on FIFA and the like it means they think REAL football is as easy to manage.

If you offered a team a certain amount of points before the season started, slightly above the perceived quality of the team, most fans would more than likely take it. For us it would probably be in the 70-75 bracket. That would equal to something like 20-22 wins 8-10 draws and 6-10 defeats. We are on course for that right now, but you wouldn't think so reading some, actually quite a lot, of the comments on here. We aren't unbeatable. There will be games we play poorly and lose, there will also be games we play well and lose or games we play poorly and win, but mostly there will be games we play somewhere between average and good and pick up the 3 points. Why is it that all those scenarios lead to people being negative and critical of everything? The same brick repeated about the same players ad infinitum regardless of what they actually did in the preceding match.

Even the few times we play well and win people will find something to complain about. We didn't score enough or we should have done better in a specific situation. That's the thing about real life compared to a computer game, nothing is ever perfect. Why not enjoy the good stuff instead of looking for something to support preconceived negative views?

A bottom half team is expected to lose close to half their games (or grind out an incredible amount of draws), but they still think they should have won every game they played when looking back and every time it's about the commitment and effort of the players. The reason teams are where they are is the quality of their players and if a couple have a bad day it will have significant impact on the team, leading to a drop in the performance of others. If they were really as good as you seem to think and all that's needed is a bit of effort, why would anyone be happy to just survive at the start of the season? It used to be the other way around, you start off thinking you're unbeatable, but eventually settle for reality. Now the expectancies seem to grow for every game that passes.

Many will say they're just blowing off steam, but it was never like this in the olden days when we chatted football face to face. You'd be upset straight after a loss, but that was quickly forgotten and everyone would start waxing lyrical about the prospects ahead. Where did this breed of fans come from that are only happy when they're unhappy?

I wouldn't say I'm an instant gratification fan, but I freely admit to being a please deity some gratification before I die please I've been putting up with this for decades and another end of season collapse will have me suicidal fan

And so it was on Wednesday April 3rd 2013 that the doom squad came screaming out from their dark caves, screeching about the problems, roaring about the stupidities, enraged about the failures of Tottenham Hotspur FC in their Europa League Cup Quarter-Final against FC Basle.
The game had ended 2-2 after a rather curious first-half which saw Basle (who played excellently) race into a donated lead and get pegged back before applying more pressure before Bale departed the pitch on a stretcher with an injury that (at that moment) seemed season-ending.

So the pessimists knew what would happen 24 hours in advance?! :p

No i think that might be a perspective of yours towards other peoples opinions LOL. ;)

Steff , pretty sure you did the same thing last season as what you are accusing other people of now. granted it was slightly worse last year but this kind of thing is a simple case of disappointment.

for the 3rd time in 4 years we are victims of our own success. someone raises us higher than we should be and when we start to level out people like yourself last year and others this year start to overreact

Well written well said - an excellent read which moved me.....off the couch to make a cup of tea.

Why do you think so many marriages break down people are always giving up at the first sign of trouble.

My Glass is half full - but looking at things logically losing bale and lennon is a devestating blow to our chances - in any situation this is not a positive for thfc.

But I applaud and jump on your never give-up never say die attitude bandwagon.

sometimes when i go to whl the opposition score everything is silent around me and I will yell and clap - come on spurs and get very strange looks......why do I do this because I want the team I support to know that I am behind them and want them to do well. I want my team to fight or go down fighting.

Thanks for that read and hopefully it humbles some - WHL can be a cauldron but recently as fans we have become muted (fulham home)

Lets stop feeling sorry for ourselves - its not the way we should be.

Snap. Do exactly the same thin myself. The players obviously cant hear me doing it, but it needs to be done

I'm glad most of our current players no longer have this mentality.
They would have declared the season over at 2-0 down.

I walked in to work yesterday and had another Spurs fan react in pretty much the way Steff is describing, my response was to jokingly threaten to beat him around the head & shoulders and comment on my hope that the players had more stomach for a fight than he had.

Personally I think short term-ism has spread throughout the game, not just amongst Spurs fans, I had a rant a couple of weeks ago about the commentator against Inter Milan whose opinions veered like a weather vane depending on which team had possession of the ball. The media is full of it, I wonder how people who are paid to watch and comment on a game cannot grasp that the balance of the game can swing in either direction throughout the course of a game.

Snap. Do exactly the same thin myself. The players obviously cant hear me doing it, but it needs to be done

Perhaps we need more recognisable songs/chants? More like the 'Oh when the Spurs' (and not the 'Stand up if you hate Arsenal'). Perhaps more player songs too? Perhaps we need an amigo like on the continent!? That said, not being allowed to stand would probably negate a lot of the effort...

I wouldn't say I'm an instant gratification fan, but I freely admit to being a please deity some gratification before I die please I've been putting up with this for decades and another end of season collapse will have me suicidal fan

It's more a sign of the times. Nobody has any patience with anything anymore. Business owners expect huge returns on their investments immediately, tv shows get pulled from the schedule after a couple of episodes if the ratings aren't high enough, footballer managers are sacked for losing a couple of matches.

One thing that really gets me is the incredible sense of entitlement the fans of some clubs have. Since the inception of the PL and the CL winning the biggest trophies have become monopolised by a small cartel of clubs. The fans of these clubs believe that everyone else should just surrender to their awesomeness and it's their destiny to win every single game. It's actually a wonder any other clubs are even allowed to exist. We beat United for the first time since forever and suddenly they owe us a trashing. The audacity. How dare we even try to compete.

It's more a sign of the times. Nobody has any patience with anything anymore. Business owners expect huge returns on their investments immediately, tv shows get pulled from the schedule after a couple of episodes if the ratings aren't high enough, footballer managers are sacked for losing a couple of matches.

One thing that really gets me is the incredible sense of entitlement the fans of some clubs have. Since the inception of the PL and the CL winning the biggest trophies have become monopolised by a small cartel of clubs. The fans of these clubs believe that everyone else should just surrender to their awesomeness and it's their destiny to win every single game. It's actually a wonder any other clubs are even allowed to exist. We beat United for the first time since forever and suddenly they owe us a trashing. The audacity. How dare we even try to compete.

It's a complete microwave mentality, everything in a 1 minute or less.

What gets me with Spurs fans is the CL entitlement, we must get 4th. I remember the excitement under BMJ when we were going to qualify for UEFA for the first time in years/decades? Let's not even talk about the brick team/managers I witnessed between the late 90s - the FA/BMJ era.

I find it sad that some people can't enjoy watching a Spurs team go out with the likes of Lloris, Vert, Dembele, Bale, Lennon and have the ability on the day to win almost any game. And enjoy the fact that in the last few years we have had Berbatov, Modric, VDV.

Back