• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

4-4-2

You need people to fit the personell / formation

I have a couple of conspiracy theories but am not looking to get any points against me.....needless to say i think Pochettino tried to keep the same system but with lamela being lennon.

you dont just stick someone out on the wing in order to get a winger with wing play.......you need an actual winger for that.

the problem today was the full back on lamela's side...not attacking enough. This doesnt contradict the lennon needed a charlie type player i said before, far from it...its the same theory but with different strengths

Lamela's strenth isnt in being a winger...its in being a wing forward operating in the inside channels...for him to be potent and for the team to be cohesive then someone like kyle walker should have played...space for walker and space for lamela infield.

i dont know why poch didnt play lennon earlier or even start him tbh

Surely your not greeting that today was 4-4-2???

We are only playing 4-4-2 where we have two wingers or at least one and the Wonky. Today we had no wingers and we're playing the famous 4-2-3-1

Surely your not greeting that today was 4-4-2???

We are only playing 4-4-2 where we have two wingers or at least one and the Wonky. Today we had no wingers and we're playing the famous 4-2-3-1

Football is a simple game complicated by idiots... This 4231 really ****es me off

Real Madrid earlier today. Emirates Marketing Project do it all the time.
Bayern have started playing two upfront with Lewandoski and Muller, Ribery and Robben inverted with Alonso and Gotze in the middle. sometimes Gotze wide and Robben in the middle.

But you know Tony Gale knows best.

Apart from the obvious gulf in quality, those teams have either A. width provided by fast, attacking fullbacks (Marcelo for example) or B. Pace in attacking areas (Ronaldo, Bale, Robben etc.) or C. both.

Our version of it against Palace had none of those things. Referencing a bell3nd like Tony Gale just makes a strawman argument against the problems with the team selection against Palace. It's not a case of Tony Gale wrong, Poch 100% right.

Name a team that plays with no quick players either in wide areas or attack; you won't be able to name any good ones because there isn't any.

this is by far THE worst thread for you then :lol:

There is alot of that lately haha... Mike Basset I am

Not to be too dismissive of 4231 im sure it works if you have the players etc but ive not seen much evidence of it at Spurs. It suits some clubs and doesnt suit some clubs. It hasnt worked consistently for us. If one person says because we wont have the players then im going to snap because they contradict it by lauding Baldinis activity... and if we dont have the players then you dont shoehorn them into a system that wont work with them in it.

Not to be too dismissive of 4231 im sure it works if you have the players etc but ive not seen much evidence of it at Spurs. It suits some clubs and doesnt suit some clubs. It hasnt worked consistently for us. If one person says because we wont have the players then im going to snap because they contradict it by lauding Baldinis activity... and if we dont have the players then you dont shoehorn them into a system that wont work with them in it.

Do our players suit a 4-4-2 though? I don't particularly think so..

For it to work you need goals, creativity and ideally pace from the 3 behind the striker. We play Chadli, eriksen and Lamella who have no pace between them and seem to spend the whom games bumming each other in te middle do the pitch

When Madrid or chelsea play it they spread the play from their 3 and they have a real mix of creativity on William and hazard and Oscar, sheer energy in schurle and pace in Remy when he plays there

They mix it up but we don't. There all predictable players

We clearly suit the wonky 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Kane in the 3.

Until poch gets players to suit the system he wants he needs to play a system that gets results, breeds confidence and gets fans on board.

It's the revloution vs revolution thing. We weren't broken last season we just needed small fixes, a bit at a time

Out of interest can anyone name a successful 4-2-3-1 team with players akin to ours? The nearest I get is Swansea but they have a quality striker which we don't have an have had the system for years.... But still play fast wide players

We clearly suit the wonky 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Kane in the 3.

Until poch gets players to suit the system he wants he needs to play a system that gets results, breeds confidence and gets fans on board.

It's the revloution vs revolution thing. We weren't broken last season we just needed small fixes, a bit at a time

Out of interest can anyone name a successful 4-2-3-1 team with players akin to ours? The nearest I get is Swansea but they have a quality striker which we don't have an have had the system for years.... But still play fast wide players

Based on? The Everton game?

Most of the names we have played and looked good in for the last calendar year

And yes the Everton was by far and asay out beat performabce for some time

But in a similar game to the Everton match, away to Arsenal, we played a 4-4-2 without a winger. Eriksen and Lamela wide. And we played well.

I really think the Everton game was as much about the type of game it was, one that suited us, as it was about the specifics of the formation/system being superior to what we've done in other matches. It's hardly something new, we look better as the counter attacking side than against well organized teams parking the bus. In the Everton game we were also able to use a ton of energy, much more than against Palace due to the way the fixtures lined up.

This is why I think our squad is a mish mash of players, I dont think its geared towards either/or... I dont know what its geared to in all honesty. You need to have a squad that can play one or two formations, at present either they are geared towards one or two formations but are just ****e or its a squad not geared towards that.

This is why I dont blame Poch, he has been put in an uncompromising situation which could take two or three windows to sort out i.e. starting again...

I do think we have the 442 players it just means going back to basics. Lennon on right, Townsend (Erikssen) on left Kane and Soldado up front.

Wonky:

----------------lloris
walker----fazio----vert----davies
eriksen---bentaleb--mason---townsend
------------kane------chadli

Rose can play in place of either Davies or Townsend. I'd bring back Carroll to compete with Bentaleb and Mason, and bring back Pritchard. Lennon would have a role to play in there. Ideally, we'd sign another forward (Benteke?). Might have to wait til the summer to get someone like Schniederlin (can't spell his name) and strenghten the centre midfield.

This is why I think our squad is a mish mash of players, I dont think its geared towards either/or... I dont know what its geared to in all honesty. You need to have a squad that can play one or two formations, at present either they are geared towards one or two formations but are just ****e or its a squad not geared towards that.

This is why I dont blame Poch, he has been put in an uncompromising situation which could take two or three windows to sort out i.e. starting again...

I do think we have the 442 players it just means going back to basics. Lennon on right, Townsend (Erikssen) on left Kane and Soldado up front.

I agree that it's unfair to blame Poch for the squad we have. He's obviously working towards something though. Is it really an obvious choice to abandon that for something completely different as we're sorting out our squad over the next couple of windows?

He's trying to implement his style of play, it will take time. But changing it up to a completely different style of play (one that we don't really have the players for either) isn't going to speed up that process and seems likely to slow it down instead to me at least.

We suit the wonky much more than the 4--2-3-1 with zero width formation

Until he gets the players in to suit the formation he wants to play we will struggle massively

Were predictable and boring and easy to play against

I agree that it's unfair to blame Poch for the squad we have. He's obviously working towards something though. Is it really an obvious choice to abandon that for something completely different as we're sorting out our squad over the next couple of windows?

He's trying to implement his style of play, it will take time. But changing it up to a completely different style of play (one that we don't really have the players for either) isn't going to speed up that process and seems likely to slow it down instead to me at least.

Bang on the money.

He will be fired before he can get anywhere near to his vision unless he starts getting positive performmaces

No point in sacking him imo. We hired him on the strength of a job he'd done at a Premier League club, so we know his methods do actually work with the right blend of players. He wasn't here to put his 2p worth in on Lamela, Paulinho, Soldado, Chriches and Capoue, all signings who have underperformed and who seem like the sort of players he wouldn't want to work with ideally.

B4QOjgCCMAEO-D8.png

What's the opinion on these teams, are they doing well or not?

west ham are

and swansea relative to their resources are as well

i will say one thing though..west ham have yet to be doing well with THAT line up

they were doing well playing TWO up top and downing in the hole ....with two adventurous full backs providing widith

and both teams play with a composed recycler in their midfield

Back