• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main reason that many people would rather finish 4th than have a good go at the Europa League is that by finishing 4th and getting into the champions league, it's opens up the riches that can be used to then contend for more trophies going forward.

As I said earlier in the thread though I think that every player scheduled to start in the PL game on the Sunday should not even be travelling to the away Europa League group games. We should literally split our squad into two for the early stages of the competition and then review where we are in both the Europa and PL competitions later in the season to see where priorities lie.

Hardly a ringing endorsement for playing in a competition is it.

If we were Aston Villa and hadn't played in europe for a number of years, it would be something to look forward to, i just don't get the love for playing in this sneered on cup, having our league form take a dive and constantly finishing in the "also rans" slot every season.

I take it you would be happy with finishing 3rd of the losers ( 4th place) then actually winning a trophy?

I think the main reason that many people would rather finish 4th than have a good go at the Europa League is that by finishing 4th and getting into the champions league, it's opens up the riches that can be used to then contend for more trophies going forward.

As I said earlier in the thread though I think that every player scheduled to start in the PL game on the Sunday should not even be travelling to the away Europa League group games. We should literally split our squad into two for the early stages of the competition and then review where we are in both the Europa and PL competitions later in the season to see where priorities lie.

It doesn't happen though. All our extra income from our last season in CL all got wiped out in player bonuses etc. There's no windfall.

It doesn't happen though. All our extra income from our last season in CL all got wiped out in player bonuses etc. There's no windfall.

Can you prove that?

Reason I ask is that our wages do increase year on year but we didn't pay out £40m in bonuses for that one season according to the figures I remember

I don't know if it was because of bonuses or clauses which meant wage rises were due in the event we qualified for CL but there was a sharp increase in wages the year we were in it - iirc the wage bill rose in the region 30m.

Of course there's no way of knowing if that will be the case should we qualify for it again, but it's not exactly out of the question

I don't know if it was because of bonuses or clauses which meant wage rises were due in the event we qualified for CL but there was a sharp increase in wages the year we were in it - iirc the wage bill rose in the region 30m.

Of course there's no way of knowing if that will be the case should we qualify for it again, but it's not exactly out of the question

I don't remember the spike you refer to..

I could be wrong - been a few years now ;) i will have a look for the data later when not on my phone

17%2BTottenham%2BWages%2Bto%2BTurnover.jpg

22%2BWages%2BGrowth.jpg

The thing that jumps out at me from that wage data is us vs Liverpool. The other 4 are so much higher but they're top 4 regulars.

I guess you could say that Liverpool are where they should be given how much less they're paying on wages but we are massively outperforming given the difference between us and the other 5

If the wage rise was bonuses why did they only go down the next season by £1m.
The wage rise was Redknapp changing the culture of the team from young players with potential coming in on big transfer fees but low wages to older premier league player on much higher wages.

If the wage rise was bonuses why did they only go down the next season by £1m.
The wage rise was Redknapp changing the culture of the team from young players with potential coming in on big transfer fees but low wages to older premier league player on much higher wages.

You could be right.

I don't disagree with the numbers but that's an increase of a third almost. And that covers all playing staff. I don't think we would have had that kind of bonus structure purely for champions league

The thing that jumps out at me from that wage data is us vs Liverpool. The other 4 are so much higher but they're top 4 regulars.

I guess you could say that Liverpool are where they should be given how much less they're paying on wages but we are massively outperforming given the difference between us and the other 5

Here's the latest one. Their spending has seen a rise in wages as well.

23%2BTottenham%2BWages%2BGrowth%2B2014.jpg

25%2BNewcastle%2BWages%2BGrowth%2B2014.jpg

11%2BTottenham%2BRevenue%2BLeague%2B2014.jpg

Thanks Hull. The lifeline we needed for a shot at 5th spot

Tottenham (58) Liverpool (58) Southampton (57)
CIty h . QPR h . Sunderland a
Stoke a . Chelsea a . Leicester a
Hull h . Palace h . Villa h
Everton a . Stoke a . City a

Slighty tougher run, both got 2 tough awaydays, but Liverpool have the easier home games, plus Liverpool go to Chelsea when they no doubt will already be champions so possibly may not be on their game. Could do with Chelsea having to win that game to seal the title in front their own fans.
Badly need a win Sunday, and still our GD may come back to haunt us

Totally agree. The travelling itself takes it out of players, we always seem to get at least one tie in the arse end of nowhere in Russia. I'm not against playing a stronger side in the home games though, just not a full strength side.

Totally agree. The travelling itself takes it out of players, we always seem to get at least one tie in the arse end of nowhere in Russia. I'm not against playing a stronger side in the home games though, just not a full strength side.

Aside from the traveling there is a distraction of focus. Do you suggest Poch assign a junior coach to prep for the EL so he can prep for the league?

Aside from the traveling there is a distraction of focus. Do you suggest Poch assign a junior coach to prep for the EL so he can prep for the league?

Should just be the u21s. Finish 5th or 6th and they'll go straight into the groups. Send the u21s mangered by the under 21 coach. Job done. Yes we'll go out in the groups. But we'd pretty much get the same money as going out in the next round (like we did this year).

The fact you don't consider fourth place as an also ran slot is what interests me. Ah the everlasting glory of coming one short of a bronze medal, how we'll spend our later years telling stories to our grandchildren of the times we lifted the translucent trophy as well as the spreadsheet stating how the CL appearance fees have affected the finances in a positive sense. Those were the glory years we'll say.

It may be a sneered on cup because you are currently sneering at it, but I feel like if we have perchance made our way to the finals I think you'd have managed to find some enthusiasm for it, meanwhile the cries of "mickey mouse cup" from bindippers would have turned in to a sudden realization that they haven't won anything under their savior, and it has been three seasons now.

Also, whatever the negatives, if we have players that can't handle playing one overseas game and one premier league game in a week without breaking down from fatigue how are they going to be when we have Athletico Madrid on Wednesday, then away to Everton on a Sunday? Do Chelsea have a bunch of precious little flowers that just can't keep with the pace of it? Games against tougher opposition that also "mean more", are going to be hard and I don't see how the Europa league isn't anything but practice for the step up, as well as providing players who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to play. It's unlikely we'll throw Pritchard in starting in the Premier league in September but I'd hazard a guess that he'll make an appearance in early Europa League fixtures if we have them, and like Kane, to earn starts in the premier league he'll have to show ability.

It's good to see the team tested against various opposition, I like watching Spurs play and the competition does improve as long as you manage to progress from the Ukranian farmers first. If we weren't in Europe who is the most exciting team we could play against throughout the season, the Sky top four and maybe Barnsley, big whoop.

I never said I wanted to finish 4th but compare that to being 5th and going to the arctic circle to play crap like Tromso, Maribor etc. The sheer amount of games really catches up with english teams who have to play in 2 domestic cup competitions already, to win the Europa requires a minimum of 6 extra games compared to reaching the CL final.
The Thursday sunday schedule just doesn't work, and it hasn't for a number of other PL clubs either.
We've been in the Europa for a few seasons now and what have we got out of it, whereas every spurs mate I know "glows" about that Champions league run we had
The solution is to revamp the europa cup but UEFA doesn't want to do that because they're happy with their status quo and it means we'll be stuck in this vicious circle for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back