• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
while we we
If we're not being clever about who we bring in it doesn't really matter how early we get the deals done.

I can understand wanting to get deals done early, definitely. But if that's what we want we probably have to accept not going for some players that bigger clubs might be in for, even more need for being clever.

but probably Poch has identified players that the top clubs wont be going for....what i mean is we wont be wasting time chasing the likes of Depay, for example if Poch has said he would like lets say Ayew, Konopylanka and Gignac, all available on a free and not being chased by bigger clubs than us, then there is no reason why he shouldnt get those players in early.

while we we

but probably Poch has identified players that the top clubs wont be going for....what i mean is we wont be wasting time chasing the likes of Depay, for example if Poch has said he would like lets say Ayew, Konopylanka and Gignac, all available on a free and not being chased by bigger clubs than us, then there is no reason why he shouldnt get those players in early.

Those 3 players have been available free (pre-contract) since January. It's not in their interests to move early. Their agents will be stoking up a salary auction.

while we we

Sure. But there's a huge number of good, but not great players who may or may not be right for us available at a price we can afford. Question marks over all the players you mention for example. Thus the need to be clever...

Sure. But there's a huge number of good, but not great players who may or may not be right for us available at a price we can afford. Question marks over all the players you mention for example. Thus the need to be clever...

yes i agree we need to be clever, but think about it, Poch was very specific about being quick in the transfer market. To me that suggests he has already made up his mind who he wants and as with all transfers these days im pretty sure he has spoken to the players/agents concerned and has been assured that the deals are very possible. Now he has put the pressure on Levy and Baldini to get the deals done as quickly as possible.

Poch, Mitchell, and the rest have done the groundwork, theyve had the time to analyse and discuss, by now imo the top targets have been identified. This is part of being clever i think.

Those 3 players have been available free (pre-contract) since January. It's not in their interests to move early. Their agents will be stoking up a salary auction.

im just saying that its easier trying to do deals for them because we dont have to negotiate transfer fees, an obstacle has been removed.....they were an extreme example of lower tier players available and already able to negotiate. Just makes the whole process a bit quicker. Im sure they will find clubs before pre season begins

In the Europa League group states when we have an away game I think Pochettino should start by selecting his team for the weekend's PL game and then leave every single one of those players behind so that they do not travel and then pick his Europa team/squad out of whoever is left from the squad. Pochettino himself does his normal coaching in England for our PL team and only travels out for the game itself.

Whether to also apply the same selection policy for the group stage games at home and to rounds after the group stages can be decided upon at the time.

im just saying that its easier trying to do deals for them because we dont have to negotiate transfer fees, an obstacle has been removed.....they were an extreme example of lower tier players available and already able to negotiate. Just makes the whole process a bit quicker. Im sure they will find clubs before pre season begins
Most players will hang on for as long as possible to see if one of the really big boys is interested. We only really get to have our pickings after the big boys have dealt.

at Southampton, without EL football, he anyway played weakened teams in the cups

I dont think its right to just focus on the PL and try to qualify for the CL.

The game is about glory. Isnt it?

at Southampton, without EL football, he anyway played weakened teams in the cups

I dont think its right to just focus on the PL and try to qualify for the CL.

The game is about glory. Isnt it?

The game is about fourth place trophies and how that benefits the spreadsheets that are released every once in a while.

Nevermind that we've won a major trophy in every decade since something like the 1920's but have not one won in the 2010/20 bracket, we don't have to apsire to continue that tradition at all.

Why win something, when you can come fourth place in something, land haphazardly in to a competition erroneously labelled as one of champions, boost up the finances whilst never being in contention to actually win it.

The game is about fourth place trophies and how that benefits the spreadsheets that are released every once in a while.

Nevermind that we've won a major trophy in every decade since something like the 1920's but have not one won in the 2010/20 bracket, we don't have to apsire to continue that tradition at all.

Why win something, when you can come fourth place in something, land haphazardly in to a competition erroneously labelled as one of champions, boost up the finances whilst never being in contention to actually win it.

More's the pity :(, in seems in football today its reguarded by some to be more important to finish among the runners up ( top four) then to actually win something.

It was Poch's fist season managing in Europe, so must have been an important learning experience for him.

I posted in another thread somewhere yesterday, but £25m is a combination of estimates from: 5-6 gate receipts (£1m a pop), 10-12 international broadcasts, sponsorship clauses, and prize money.

There was also a big deal made about how the EL 'parachute' revenue saved Chelsea from FFP issue the season they dropped into it - it's far from insignificant.

The 25m is pulled from your arse. You were corrected last week and still believe in it.

http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/2015/04/tottenham-hotspur-bottom-line.html
"Although Tottenham earned €5.9 million prize money (£9.2 million including gate receipts) for reaching the last 16 of the Europa League, this was much lower than the Champions League, where the four English clubs earned an average of €38 million, ranging from Manchester United’s €45 million to Arsenal’s €27 million."

Look the gate receipts were £3.3m for getting to the last 16 (which isnt gonna happen again) not £6m.
UEFA centralises their tv money and gives it out with the prize money. We got 2.5m of the TV pool.

16%2BTottenham%2BEurope%2B2014.jpg

And the cup sponsorship is signed and not dependent on us getting to the Europa League. I doubt any company cares less about the competition.

The 25m is pulled from your arse. You were corrected last week and still believe in it.
http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/2015/04/tottenham-hotspur-bottom-line.html
"Although Tottenham earned €5.9 million prize money (£9.2 million including gate receipts) for reaching the last 16 of the Europa League, this was much lower than the Champions League, where the four English clubs earned an average of €38 million, ranging from Manchester United’s €45 million to Arsenal’s €27 million."

Look the gate receipts were £3.3m for getting to the last 16 (which isnt gonna happen again) not £6m.
UEFA centralises their tv money and gives it out with the prize money. We got 2.5m of the TV pool.

And the cup sponsorship is signed and not dependent on us getting to the Europa League. I doubt any company cares less about the competition.

I don't want to get in the middle of an argument but you've made an error I'm afraid. Personally I want us to be in the Europa League, but I have no idea how accurate the £25m number is and I'm not taking one side or the other here; but the source you quoted switches between currencies in a pretty cavalier manner. A paragraph containing four Euro-denominated amounts and one in UK pounds is unhelpful. Not least because it encourages us to subtract €5.9m from £9.2 and get £3.3m. €5.9m is more like £4.2. So the actual gate receipt figure (assuming the source is accurate) is roughly £5m.

Which pretty much backs up GB's original statement: "5-6 gate receipts (£1m a pop)".

I'd also have to question your statement that the cup sponsor doesn't really care if we're in the Europa League. I have no evidence one way or the other so maybe you're right, but a half-decent run in the competition is likely to massively outnumber the number of televised matches (which are the ones they really care about) we'd get from even two decent domestic cup runs. Doesn't really make sense that any advertiser "couldn't care less" about so much additional air-time.

I don't want to get in the middle of an argument but you've made an error I'm afraid. Personally I want us to be in the Europa League, but I have no idea how accurate the £25m number is and I'm not taking one side or the other here; but the source you quoted switches between currencies in a pretty cavalier manner. A paragraph containing four Euro-denominated amounts and one in UK pounds is unhelpful. Not least because it encourages us to subtract €5.9m from £9.2 and get £3.3m. €5.9m is more like £4.2. So the actual gate receipt figure (assuming the source is accurate) is roughly £5m.

Which pretty much backs up GB's original statement: "5-6 gate receipts (£1m a pop)".

I'd also have to question your statement that the cup sponsor doesn't really care if we're in the Europa League. I have no evidence one way or the other so maybe you're right, but a half-decent run in the competition is likely to massively outnumber the number of televised matches (which are the ones they really care about) we'd get from even two decent domestic cup runs. Doesn't really make sense that any advertiser "couldn't care less" about so much additional air-time.

Fair enough with the euro sterling discrepancy.
Regardless 9.2m is nowhere near the 25m GutterBoy made up.

We don't even have a cup sponsor anymore (AIA are in the first year of their 5 year deal).
So that hasn't mattered since last season. The reason we got one in the first place was it was the Champion's League's season and Levy got a premium for a name on a Champion's League jersey.

Christian Eriksen insists playing in the Europa League is better than nothing.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino believes playing in the competition has hampered Spurs’s hopes of a top four finish this season.

But playmaker Eriksen says sixth-placed Spurs, who are heading for the Europa League for a fifth successive season, DO still want to be in it.

He said: “I’d rather play in Europe than nothing. There are many games, of course, but if you have a big squad as we have, it shouldn’t be a disappointment to play in Europe.

“A lot of players want to be in Europe. We’ve been fighting to get into the top four and we still have a little chance.

“Of course, it is easier to get into the top four if you are not in Europe.

“There are so many games and we have played more games than most teams in the Premier League this season.

“But if you’re playing, you only get better, so I don’t see an issue in playing.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/europa-league-better-nothing-tottenham-5592592

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino believes playing in the competition has hampered Spurs’s hopes of a top four finish this season.

But playmaker Eriksen says sixth-placed Spurs, who are heading for the Europa League for a fifth successive season, DO still want to be in it.

He said: “I’d rather play in Europe than nothing. There are many games, of course, but if you have a big squad as we have, it shouldn’t be a disappointment to play in Europe.

“A lot of players want to be in Europe. We’ve been fighting to get into the top four and we still have a little chance.

“There are so many games and we have played more games than most teams in the Premier League this season.

“But if you’re playing, you only get better, so I don’t see an issue in playing.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/europa-league-better-nothing-tottenham-5592592

Why did he only start 3 of the 10 games then?

Good for him and its good to hear a player say that. As for myself I love going to the games home and away.

Hardly a ringing endorsement for playing in a competition is it.

If we were Aston Villa and hadn't played in europe for a number of years, it would be something to look forward to, i just don't get the love for playing in this sneered on cup, having our league form take a dive and constantly finishing in the "also rans" slot every season.

Hardly a ringing endorsement for playing in a competition is it.

If we were Aston Villa and hadn't played in europe for a number of years, it would be something to look forward to, i just don't get the love for playing in this sneered on cup, having our league form take a dive and constantly finishing in the "also rans" slot every season.

The fact you don't consider fourth place as an also ran slot is what interests me. Ah the everlasting glory of coming one short of a bronze medal, how we'll spend our later years telling stories to our grandchildren of the times we lifted the translucent trophy as well as the spreadsheet stating how the CL appearance fees have affected the finances in a positive sense. Those were the glory years we'll say.

It may be a sneered on cup because you are currently sneering at it, but I feel like if we have perchance made our way to the finals I think you'd have managed to find some enthusiasm for it, meanwhile the cries of "mickey mouse cup" from bindippers would have turned in to a sudden realization that they haven't won anything under their savior, and it has been three seasons now.

Also, whatever the negatives, if we have players that can't handle playing one overseas game and one premier league game in a week without breaking down from fatigue how are they going to be when we have Athletico Madrid on Wednesday, then away to Everton on a Sunday? Do Chelsea have a bunch of precious little flowers that just can't keep with the pace of it? Games against tougher opposition that also "mean more", are going to be hard and I don't see how the Europa league isn't anything but practice for the step up, as well as providing players who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to play. It's unlikely we'll throw Pritchard in starting in the Premier league in September but I'd hazard a guess that he'll make an appearance in early Europa League fixtures if we have them, and like Kane, to earn starts in the premier league he'll have to show ability.

It's good to see the team tested against various opposition, I like watching Spurs play and the competition does improve as long as you manage to progress from the Ukranian farmers first. If we weren't in Europe who is the most exciting team we could play against throughout the season, the Sky top four and maybe Barnsley, big whoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back