• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2012 - Greatest Year of Sport Ever

jgl, I admire your admiration of Cav, he's a great sprinter, but come on, that's all he is, do you really believe he can win the tour?

No cav will never win the tour he is not that sort of cyclist.

If he had not been under used this year he could well of got the green jersey again. He also only just missed out on the points in the giro by one point.

A cyclist of he is talent should get the points jersey in all 3 main tours, next year they have even made the giro flater then normal to try to attract the bigger names. He should be aiming for the points jersey in the tour and the giro for next season as well as trying to win milan-san remo again. With a team that will actually give him a lead out this is possible.

The following season he should look to winning the points in the tour and the vuelta. The season after the tour and some classics, then the season after go back to the track and train for the whole year in the run up to rio so he gets his gold medal. It is also possible he can do another world championship, next year is in florence where i shall actually be for it, but the is talk of it coming to england well manchester in 2015 and he could have a shot at it there.

Cavendish's problem is he is to much of a team player, he will go down as a great thanks to his stage victories in the tour and if he goes to a decent team then he should take the most ever as well as winning a couple more green jerserys. But i think if he manages his career probably he could win another world championship and a gold medal at the olympics, if he does this he would have to be classed our greatest sportsman ever.

I guess the greatest british sportsman of all time is for another thread another day.

cool, i agree with all that, but I think that as far as the tour is concerned winning the green jersey is kinda like getting the most PL assists over the season, or a team winning the fair play award, yes its admirable and shows consistency, but, its not why everyone is there in the first place, in my opinion Cav being part of a yellow jersey winning team is the biggest achievement of his illustrious career

I thought he did now? My mistake. Cheers for the double quote though, makes me feel important:D Anyway, that's complete gonad*s, if it was as simple as you say then Cavendish would be able to take any stage of the Tour, Giro or Vuelta with training, but he can't and won't ever be able to, and that bloke has GHod given talent.

If you want to see hard training then take a look at Chris Hoy, doubled over feetle and throwing up as the acid burn fills his muscles after sprint training. Every top athlete is disciplined nowadays. Not tinkling on Murrays achievement but I think Wiggins is bigger.

Opinions. I didn't say cyclists work mega hard and don't perform super human feats. No skill involved though. ;)

And nope. Nowt from the LTA. Self made man. Unlike Hoy and Wiggins

Opinions. I didn't say cyclists work mega hard and don't perform super human feats. No skill involved though. ;)

And nope. Nowt from the LTA. Self made man. Unlike Hoy and Wiggins

No money in track cycling though mate, it'd be impossible without funding ;)

No money in track cycling though mate, it'd be impossible without funding ;)

I know....which begs a question why millions of public funds are wasted on it?

Olympic sports are meant to be amateur IMO........pro sports pay money to enable participants to fund their own coaches.

Murray pays Lendl £800k a year I hear!

I know....which begs a question why millions of public funds are wasted on it?

Olympic sports are meant to be amateur IMO........pro sports pay money to enable participants to fund their own coaches.

Murray pays Lendl £800k a year I hear!

Lol, yeah alright then Dan, amateur sports. I'm sure that the Chinese have gotten to where they have in the Olympics without spending millions (mostly on steroids). Or that the US would be just as strong if every one of their athletes didn't get handed their sporting and academic education to them in scholarships!

If you think it's a waste of money then you can't be the sport fan you claim to be!

Riding round in circles?

Waste of money.

Boxing, Tennis, Football, Golf, Rugy....real sports IMO, with real skill. Cycling is just peddaling.

I'd scrap UK Sport.......makes people think we are actually more important than we are. People equate 3rd best at the Olympic with 3rd best country! :)

When in fact we have record levels of obesity, but it's OK as we've trained a few metronomes to ride around a circle fast! :)

Still not a huge fan of the guy but i think Murray deserves it. First British Wimbledon finalist in GHod knows how long, Olympic gold and silver medalist and US Open champion (although granted that would not have been the case if Nadal was about :-" ). Must admit though i know next to nothing about cycling, so can't really comprehend how difficult Wiggins' feat was.

Wiggins 4/7 at the mo, Murray 3/1.

Riding round in circles?

Waste of money.

Boxing, Tennis, Football, Golf, Rugy....real sports IMO, with real skill. Cycling is just peddaling.

I'd scrap UK Sport.......makes people think we are actually more important than we are. People equate 3rd best at the Olympic with 3rd best country! :)

When in fact we have record levels of obesity, but it's OK as we've trained a few metronomes to ride around a circle fast! :)
I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm imagining you talking to yourself in a mirror, Taxi style. Golf is game/skill, it's darts for people that like to walk. Rugby Union is a sport, Rugby League is a token sport so that cities like Bradford and Wigan can feel like they have some sporting achievement.

Golf is a game of immense skill.

I was talking about both codes of Rugby.

Don't knock the mohawk until you've tried it.

cycling involves skill, your going very fast, the speed you have produced not an engine like in motor racing, you have to aim for the exact right spot when attacking if you miss your line you will lose or crash.

Do not try and tell me cycling down a mountain at 50 miles an hour round sharp bends does not require skill, i have done it, not that fast but at 35 miles and it is fudging scary, you are so focused on making sure the bike is balanced and looking ahead to judge the curve of the road and the corners, that takes skill.

cycling involves skill, your going very fast, the speed you have produced not an engine like in motor racing, you have to aim for the exact right spot when attacking if you miss your line you will lose or crash.

Do not try and tell me cycling down a mountain at 50 miles an hour round sharp bends does not require skill, i have done it, not that fast but at 35 miles and it is fudging scary, you are so focused on making sure the bike is balanced and looking ahead to judge the curve of the road and the corners, that takes skill.

But it's just cycling round a bit Chich ;) I hit a cattle grid whilst chipping down hill on my mountain bike a little while back and it brick the life out of me! The world slowed down and all I could think of is how bad the road rash down my face would be!

Leeds, would you say something like long distance running has no skill then? That's just running around a track really.

How are we meant to encourage people to exercise if we don't have role models or high-performing athletes? Loads of people have taken up cycling this year due to the Tour and Olympics - which could help reduce strain on the NHS. It may not be a lot, but it still goes round in a circle.

To say that cycling has no skill is gonad*s - is sprinting (100m + 200m) the same thing then?

Back