• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2012 - Greatest Year of Sport Ever

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
This year has been simply incredible for this country

- Wiggins winning the Tour De France, 1st English man ever
- Murray winning his first ever grand slam
- Incredible fightback from the European Ryder Cup team
- The Olympians & Paralympians for winning the most amount of medals ever and helping deliver the best Olympics and Paralympics ever
- We got 4th too, obviously got mugged of our rightful CL spot as well

Im sure there is more and feel free to add, but I doubt this year will ever be beaten, its been incredible and makes you very proud

Last edited:
It's been an incredible year for sport and its nice being able to feel so proud of so many of our countrymen/women. Yesterday was just ridiculous, Roses put on the 17th was it? Just outrageous the way that fortune favoured us.

Can someone post the latest list of candidates? (I can't get on betting sites at work)

I bet it's a big ol' list this year!!

How do you fancy trying top choose the BBC sports personality of the year??

I shall be voting for mark cavendish for the dignity he showed this year when he was cruelly stopped from racing by team sky, for the dedication he showed to an inferior team mate and the way he showed of the world championship jersey with such pride.

Has to be Wiggins for me. He would make the list along with Hoy for being two of our greatest ever Olympians, but taking the Tour de France is massive. No offence to Cavendish, but you don't win gongs for being nice. Anyway, four years time when the nation puts its cycling hat back on I'm sure Cavendish will sweep up.

Murray or Ennis deserve to win it IMO. So many people to choose from, but Ennis was the British athlete under the most pressure to deliver, she was the postergirl of the Olympics, and she won quite easily in the end! Can see a lot more women voting this year, and she must be one of the most popular athletes amongst women in this country.

Murray is competing in one of the toughest eras in mens tennis. 3 all time great players he has to go up against in every tournament and beat at least one of them every tournament in order to win a slam, and yet he doesn't look out of place when he plays them. To come back from the heartbreak of losing the Wimbledon and letting a nation down in his eyes and win the Olympic gold, and then follow that up by winning the very next grand slam on offer was hugely impressive!

I admit I am a little bit prejudiced against cycling, but I still need to see a few years of the sport being consistently cleaned up before we start handing out more awards to them.

Yes, it has to be Wiggins. Joining our Olympic greats with six gold medals AND the Tour de France. Either alone is enough to be one of the favourites, but both is incredible. Murray with a gold medal and slam win would win most years, as would Jessica Ennis.

Wiggins also has a personality, which rather goes against the grain.

I haven't seen a list but I'd expect Mo Farah, Laura Trott, Chris Hoy, Ben Ainslie and Katherine Granger to be on the list. They've been critcised for not having women on the list so probably both the women fighters who won gold (the boxer and Jade Jones) plus the woman dressage rider and maybe an extra cyclist or rower. There might not be enough room for Paul Scholes to pull a Giggsy.

Also what about Sarah Storey? Four paralympics golds in the summer to add to her total of seven gold, eight silver and three bronze from previous Olympics. 22 medals in two sports (swimming and cycling) over five games and twenty years. She also narrowly missed out on being on the gold medal winning pursuit team for the Olympics; she did win a world cup event with the team before being dropped.

Yes, it has to be Wiggins. Joining our Olympic greats with six gold medals AND the Tour de France. Either alone is enough to be one of the favourites, but both is incredible. Murray with a gold medal and slam win would win most years, as would Jessica Ennis.

Wiggins also has a personality, which rather goes against the grain.

I haven't seen a list but I'd expect Mo Farah, Laura Trott, Chris Hoy, Ben Ainslie and Katherine Granger to be on the list. They've been critcised for not having women on the list so probably both the women fighters who won gold (the boxer and Jade Jones) plus the woman dressage rider and maybe an extra cyclist or rower. There might not be enough room for Paul Scholes to pull a Giggsy.

Also what about Sarah Storey? Four paralympics golds in the summer to add to her total of seven gold, eight silver and three bronze from previous Olympics. 22 medals in two sports (swimming and cycling) over five games and twenty years. She also narrowly missed out on being on the gold medal winning pursuit team for the Olympics; she did win a world cup event with the team before being dropped.

That's just it though, the award isn't really about personality, it's more about the achievement. No award where Lewis Hamilton is nominated can be called "Sports Personality". So people need to stop getting bogged down by the personality part. They might as well just re-name it "Sports Achievement".

Jesus, Ryan Giggs really won it didn't he! Must have been a hell of a year lol... this year he would prob be in around 18,245th place...

That's just it though, the award isn't really about personality, it's more about the achievement. No award where Lewis Hamilton is nominated can be called "Sports Personality". So people need to stop getting bogged down by the personality part. They might as well just re-name it "Sports Achievement".

he really is as dull as dishwater and i say that not because i hate him as an arsenal fan or jealous of the slut he is fudging though both those things are true.

Jesus, Ryan Giggs really won it didn't he! Must have been a hell of a year lol... this year he would prob be in around 18,245th place...

if people knew he was fudging his brothers wife he would never have won, would rather it had gone to a darts player and despitee what marky boy on here will tell you, darts is not a proper sport.

On another note - the Euros were a great success, with one of the greatest football teams in history winning (again).

Wiggins to win the Sports Personality for me - Tour de France winner and Olympic Champion, not to mention his great teamwork for the likes of Cavendish. The achievement of being the first Briton to win the TDF is above all else IMO, a much tougher discipline than tennis or the heptathlon.

ronnie o sullivan winning the snooker championship with such ease after looking like he had lost it years ago

On another note - the Euros were a great success, with one of the greatest football teams in history winning (again).

Wiggins to win the Sports Personality for me - Tour de France winner and Olympic Champion, not to mention his great teamwork for the likes of Cavendish. The achievement of being the first Briton to win the TDF is above all else IMO, a much tougher discipline than tennis or the heptathlon.

You are out of your tree young james if you think wiggins is a good team player, but to be fair he won the tour so he did what he aimed for the season. Personally i can not stand wiggins an ugly man who cycles in an ugly fashion he is the wimbledon or stoke of cycling and as a cycling fan and an englishman it is a shame for me to not be thrilled at our first tour winner.

All down to personal choice of course, but Wiggins did have a team behind him that was geared towards (excuse the pun) HIM winning the Tour De France. Andy Murray can't go to David Ferrer and ask him knock Federer out for him. I have great respect for cyclists, the clean ones anyway, and I appreciate it takes a phenomal effort to win, but Andy Murray has to beat at least one of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in every single grand slam in order to win one. Sometimes he would have to beat two of those. And you've got to admire the bottle it took to come back from the heartbreak of losing the Wimbledon final and going on to win the next slam on offer, against the 2nd best player in the world. But I accept that Murray probably won't win it as there are too many idiots still who think that Murray hates England.

I'd also be thrilled if Ennis won it as she was under the most pressure to deliver of any British athlete. I'm amazed at how anyone can be good at so many sports as heptathletes/decathletes are.

Mo Farah is also slightly under the radar for some reason, and yet he won two gold medals in long distance events.

Comparing Murray winning a Grand Slam to Wiggins winning the TDF just doesnt do it for me, plus the fact that Bradders has a personality too, he has to win it

Back