• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2012 - Greatest Year of Sport Ever

Comparing Murray winning a Grand Slam to Wiggins winning the TDF just doesnt do it for me, plus the fact that Bradders has a personality too, he has to win it

Like I said before, people need to stop fixating on the word "personality". Lewis Hamilton has no personality and he is always in the running. Ryan Giggs won it a few years back, and he's dull.

Let's not forget that Wiggins didn't have a team behind him when he won the Olympic Time Trial!

I didn't say he did. I was just pointing out that his Tour De France was also a team effort. Mark Cavendish has even said he wants to leave team sky so he can stand a better chance of winning the event in future.

For the record, I think Wiggins will win it, but I'm not particularly a fan of his and think Ennis would be more deserving.

I didn't say he did. I was just pointing out that his Tour De France was also a team effort. Mark Cavendish has even said he wants to leave team sky so he can stand a better chance of winning the event in future.

For the record, I think Wiggins will win it, but I'm not particularly a fan of his and think Ennis would be more deserving.

But surely there's a case that the heptathalon was almost a formality... especially now that dominant Swedish girl stopped doing it after she got bored from winning every competition each year cos she had no close rivals. Ennis was already a clear favourite this Olympics no matter what pressure there was on her.

Murray hands down.

Tennis is a truly GLOBAL sport, played all over the WHOLE world, not just Europe and the US plus Australia which dominate many sports that we love.

Winning the Olympic gold medal over 5 sets against the greatest player ever at Wimbledon, followed by the biggest slam in the world over 5 sets against the current 'man' on the tour is unrivalled IMO.

Stop! Hammer time though so I can see the arguments for and against many worthy candidates.

But surely there's a case that the heptathalon was almost a formality... especially now that dominant Swedish girl stopped doing it after she got bored from winning every competition each year cos she had no close rivals. Ennis was already a clear favourite this Olympics no matter what pressure there was on her.

you could apply that argument to Wiggins as well, he was head and shoulders above any other cyclist on the tour this year (as was his team) and it would have been a massive upset had he not won it, you could also say similar about Murray to some degree, its about time he actually won something as he's obviously had the talent for quite some time

you have to respect the amount of time they put in to get to that point though

you could apply that argument to Wiggins as well, he was head and shoulders above any other cyclist on the tour this year (as was his team) and it would have been a massive upset had he not won it, you could also say similar about Murray to some degree, its about time he actually won something as he's obviously had the talent for quite some time

you have to respect the amount of time they put in to get to that point though

But then Murray made the Wimbledon final - huge achievement and first Brit for a zillion years, then despite that disappointment of losing to Fed he returned and managed to win the Olympics by destroying Federer in a re-match (Note Federer was as determined as ever cos he's never won an Olympics), then when on to win a massive Grand Slam in New York, again the first for 80 odd years.. and he beat 2 of the best ever in Federer and Djokovic.
Add to that all the other matches and effort thoughout the year playing across the world.

I'm not saying Murray is my choice (I am a fan but I have no idea who to vote for really) but in a year where so many have achieved great things I just don't think Ennis would get my vote. Not that she cares of course lol!

Last edited:

Ennis was not a clear favourite. Chernova, the reigning world champion, was probably the favourite, having beat Ennis last year, and Dobrynska, the reigning Olympic champion had to be considered a serious challenger.

Kluft stopped doing the heptathlon in 2007 - five years ago - so its hard to say if she would have still been at the top if she'd been interested. Few of the multi-event athletes can stay at the top over three olympic cycles.

Ennis was not a clear favourite. Chernova, the reigning world champion, was probably the favourite, having beat Ennis last year, and Dobrynska, the reigning Olympic champion had to be considered a serious challenger.

Kluft stopped doing the heptathlon in 2007 - five years ago - so its hard to say if she would have still been at the top if she'd been interested. Few of the multi-event athletes can stay at the top over three olympic cycles.

There's more that can go wrong for Ennis as there are 7 events. She isn't the best in the world at each event, so she had to nail the events that she excels in. Her time in the 100m hurdles even equalled the winning time of the hurdles event proper in 2008!

Murray hands down.

Tennis is a truly GLOBAL sport, played all over the WHOLE world, not just Europe and the US plus Australia which dominate many sports that we love.

Winning the Olympic gold medal over 5 sets against the greatest player ever at Wimbledon, followed by the biggest slam in the world over 5 sets against the current 'man' on the tour is unrivalled IMO.

Stop! Hammer time though so I can see the arguments for and against many worthy candidates.

Would love to see Murray win it. I definitely think a lot of people have warmed to him since Wimbledon and his triumphs at the US Open and the Olympics. But then there's still too many people who believe he dislikes England, even though he doesn't.

Murray hands down.

Thing for me is that no British man had ever won the Tour and many people never thought one would. Sure there has been a team effort to get Wiggins over the line, but Dave Brailsford pushing Wiggins forward is no different to the support that Murray gets from the LTA, his mum, his team and his numerous coaches over the years. Wiggins may get actual support on the road, but that's the format of the sport, no different to any other team, he still has to perform on the day.

And don't forget that most of his Olympic medals came from the track. I think it is wonderful what Murray has done, but other Brits have done it, nobody has done what Wiggins has done and that's why he pips it for me. And whoever mentioned about doping, the idea of marking him down because of what others have done in the past is disingenuous in the least. Are we going to say that Carl Lewis doesn't deserve any accolades because Ben Johnson took drugs?

As far as other notables are concerned, I think the two female rowers, Stanning and Glover should be up there. They had only been training together for 2 and a bit years before winning an Olympic gold medal and Stanning had only been rowing for country for about 3 years... Bloody epic if you ask me.

Jessica Ennis was great but I don't think that it deserves the top gong, same goes for the Mobot... Maybe if he grabs another couple in Rio :D But the list is going to be long and distinguished this year without a doubt.

I agree with this.

And we might mention Marray, the journeyman who won the men's doubles at Wimbledon.

But Wiggins and Murray way out in front. Farah's got a shed load of pub' so he might be in contention too.

Thing for me is that no British man had ever won the Tour and many people never thought one would. Sure there has been a team effort to get Wiggins over the line, but Dave Brailsford pushing Wiggins forward is no different to the support that Murray gets from the LTA, his mum, his team and his numerous coaches over the years. Wiggins may get actual support on the road, but that's the format of the sport, no different to any other team, he still has to perform on the day.

And don't forget that most of his Olympic medals came from the track. I think it is wonderful what Murray has done, but other Brits have done it, nobody has done what Wiggins has done and that's why he pips it for me. And whoever mentioned about doping, the idea of marking him down because of what others have done in the past is disingenuous in the least. Are we going to say that Carl Lewis doesn't deserve any accolades because Ben Johnson took drugs?

As far as other notables are concerned, I think the two female rowers, Stanning and Glover should be up there. They had only been training together for 2 and a bit years before winning an Olympic gold medal and Stanning had only been rowing for country for about 3 years... Bloody epic if you ask me.

Jessica Ennis was great but I don't think that it deserves the top gong, same goes for the Mobot... Maybe if he grabs another couple in Rio :D But the list is going to be long and distinguished this year without a doubt.

Murray gets ZERO support from the LTA. Nada. And he was coached by his mum and went to Spain at a kid to train. He is 100% a self made man. An utter genius and success despite the LTA not because of them.

No Brits have won gold medals AND grand slams. And I prefer games of skill to feats of endurance. In essence you can train people to be greats cyclists. That's why our track team do great, money and science. Murray has GHod given talent and mixed it with amazingly hard work. Harder than almost any sportsman. Probably 5/6 hours a day of solid training and practice. Every day for 11 months a year. Incredible endurance.

Last edited:
At the end of the day daniel he is a jock and he hates the english so i doubt he will win.

I like him and was chuffed he won, as i said before he is a hero to my son a lad who does not like football. When your daughter is older you will understand how important it is for them to hve a sporting hero. So for that alone if cavendish does not win and it is unlikely he will because the country is made up of tacos who do not know we have the greatest sportsman of all time in our midst, well then i hope it is him.

Wiggins is not a great cyclist infact i would not even have him in the top 5 of current cyclists.

jgl, I admire your admiration of Cav, he's a great sprinter, but come on, that's all he is, do you really believe he can win the tour?

Murray gets ZERO support from the LTA. Nada. And he was coached by his mum and went to Spain at a kid to train. He is 100% a self made man. An utter genius and success despite the LTA not because of them.
I thought he did now? My mistake. Cheers for the double quote though, makes me feel important:D Anyway, that's complete gonad*s, if it was as simple as you say then Cavendish would be able to take any stage of the Tour, Giro or Vuelta with training, but he can't and won't ever be able to, and that bloke has GHod given talent.

If you want to see hard training then take a look at Chris Hoy, doubled over feetle and throwing up as the acid burn fills his muscles after sprint training. Every top athlete is disciplined nowadays. Not tinkling on Murrays achievement but I think Wiggins is bigger.

Back