• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

We've already signed his replacement. I didn't want to admit that when we signed Sanchez, but it does seem logical, it was a lot of money for us to spend on an area of the team that was arguably our strongest. And the back 4 means we play an extra midfielder/attacker in the side, which is good for Son.

We've already signed his replacement. I didn't want to admit that when we signed Sanchez, but it does seem logical, it was a lot of money for us to spend on an area of the team that was arguably our strongest. And the back 4 means we play an extra midfielder/attacker in the side, which is good for Son.

We need 3 very good/top class CB’s to give us the flexibility to play a back 3, which was Poch’s preferred formation until Toby got injured.

I appreciate Dier for what he is which is a good destroyer but he’s rather limited on the ball and isn’t good enough to play CB for a team that has aspirations to win the league and go deep into the knockout stages of the CL.

Foyth is still raw and young so the jury is still out.

We should do everything possible to make him one of the highest paid players at the club. I think people in this place have selective memories. He’s easily one of the best CB’s in the league and one of the elite CB’s in Europe. I love Poch and I buy into his system and project (hate that phrase) but every project needs great players. We’re kidding ourselves if we think we can regularly sell players and just slot someone else in there and think we won’t eventually be weaker for it.

We need 3 very good/top class CB’s to give us the flexibility to play a back 3, which was Poch’s preferred formation until Toby got injured.

I appreciate Dier for what he is which is a good destroyer but he’s rather limited on the ball and isn’t good enough to play CB for a team that has aspirations to win the league and go deep into the knockout stages of the CL.

We should do everything possible to make him one of the highest paid players at the club. I think people in this place have selective memories. He’s easily one of the best CB’s in the league and one of the elite CB’s in Europe. I love Poch and I buy into his system and project (hate that phrase) but every project needs great players. We’re kidding ourselves if we think we can regularly sell players and just slot someone else in there and think we won’t eventually be weaker for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to keep Toby. But if the club don't think he will sign, then selling him for as much as possible and having his replacement already here isn't so bad.

Even if we're happy for him to go, then (rightly or wrongly) combined with Walker and probably Rose leaving it'll just escalate our reputation as a club which sells its best players
Seriously? Right now, neither Toby, nor Rose are anywhere close to being our best players. It's not like we're selling the Rose and Toby of a year ago. Rose is nowhere near his form of last year and Toby has been shaky this season even before his injury. Now if we were to sell Eriksen/Harry/Son/Dele/Mousa/Verts/Dier you might have a point. Else you are just being a bit OTT and also forget that for a very long time the club has never sold a player that he himself had not agitated for a move.

One of those post you 'like' but don't like. Had the same thoughts but couldn't
bring myself to post them. It might all be written already and agreed in principle last summer. Mind you we were playing 3 at the back and if we really really wanted to keep Toby we probably could. But the sneaking suspicion is, it fits our model to cash in on a 29 year old, and he probably facies a pay day and one more big career move. Hope we are both proved wrong, as I think with him in the side, we would have gone through against Juve and to progress we should keep our experienced best players. Otherwise it's slower progress with 2 steps forward and 1 back.

Seriously? Right now, neither Toby, nor Rose are anywhere close to being our best players. It's not like we're selling the Rose and Toby of a year ago. Rose is nowhere near his form of last year and Toby has been shaky this season even before his injury. Now if we were to sell Eriksen/Harry/Son/Dele/Mousa/Verts/Dier you might have a point. Else you are just being a bit OTT and also forget that for a very long time the club has never sold a player that he himself had not agitated for a move.

Toby is still our best defender when fit, so much so some said last year his absence was the reason we didn’t win the league.

Let’s not pretend otherwise.

Toby is still our best defender when fit, so much so some said last year his absence was the reason we didn’t win the league.

Let’s not pretend otherwise.

Toby was our best defender when he was fit. No one can tell if he still is but there are indications to the contrary

Let us not pretend that he is as good as he was last year.

Toby was our best defender when he was fit. No one can tell if he still is but there are indications to the contrary

Let us not pretend that he is as good as he was last year.

There is no reason that he can't be unless you are basing that assertion on his poor FA cup game against Rochdale which isn't a big enough sample. Verts and Alderweireld have our defence locked down when they play together. If we want to succeed in the cup, that task would be easier if he was back playing.

The manager of his national team claims he is fit BTW. So hopefully he will soon be back for us.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....lderweireld-spurs-injury-belgium-14436103.amp

I have no itk as to whether he stays or goes but at least there does not appear to be any suggestion that he wants to leave unlike Walker. Perhaps all is not lost yet, I certainly hope not.

I have no itk as to whether he stays or goes but at least there does not appear to be any suggestion that he wants to leave unlike Walker. Perhaps all is not lost yet, I certainly hope not.

Anyone with half a brain/sound advisers would look at the career trajectory of all the players who have succeeded under Poch once they have left his tutelage.

3 more seasons excelling at the top vs 1 big money season followed by 2 in a second rate backwater.

He's already seen it with Ajax to Athletico to Southampton

So, looking at the clubs who are interested are there any CH's at those clubs who could make up part of the deal in a swap?
Not really bothered about swaps, there are always deals to be had in the summer. A lot on here suggest another young up and coming CB but we already have two of those in Sanchez and Foyth. Whilst both are clearly going to be good players, Id like someone a bit more established as our defence has never looked as watertight in Toby's absence. Whether thats feasible with our budget I dont know but Id like to think we'd get a very good fee for Toby and could get an established 25-26 year old international for similar price....

If reports are to be believed the offer on the table is £110,000 per week. That would make him the highest paid i reckon. More that Kane's last renewal. I don't think it's club parity he's looking for but industry parity which is at least £150,000.

It's a tough one. Do we stick to our model that has proven so successful over the years or do we break that and make an exception here? I don't know what the answer is but then again i'm not privy to all the details/info the 2 parties are working with. For all we know the sticking point might not be about base salary per week. There's all sorts of junk in there - bonus, transfer requests, merchandising/marketing, loyalty payments, 3rd party beneficiary, expenses etc I have no idea really.

But based purely on the money side, I'm tempted to stick rather than twist. There seems to be sooo much value placed on squad unity and that's been critical to our success. It's based on buy in and people wanting to be here above all else. £110,000 is probably the max within our current framework. To still insist on more simply means you are placing money above what everyone else has signed up to. Which is his right btw. Because one thing we can definitely all agree on is that he's worth a heck of a lot more than £110k pw

Back