• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Well done to Sherwood with his selection tonight. Thought we played very well, 6 very welcome points from two tough games, 8 days off before an important game in Ukraine. He obviously is very good from a man management point of view and that will always get you a performance from the players and generally a response when you require it.

If he gets us through the Dnipro tie and manages to get us wins against Norwich and Cardiff then he is will have really taken us into an area of the season where we can do big things and get the benefit of the big squad we have.

Yes Sherwood did well today. But Saudi Sportswashing Machine were rubbish. Far tougher challenges to come for the manager. But the result should give the team and Tim some confidence.

Yep but so were west ham and we still contrived to lose to them twice. So were Fulham but they have managed to Hold man utd and lose narrowly to Liverpool. I think we have to be very careful to dismiss any team, a good result should just be taken as a good result.

Yep but so were west ham and we still contrived to lose to them twice. So were Fulham but they have managed to Hold man utd and lose narrowly to Liverpool. I think we have to be very careful to dismiss any team, a good result should just be taken as a good result.

I agree. Its just the extremes are a bit much. One days its Sherwood is inexperienced, in his first job, doesn't know what he's doing. The next he's the messiah. The truth is somewhere in between. I've always liked Sherwood, he's shown promise. But Saudi Sportswashing Machine were woeful. If you're honest, you'd agree. Is there one player from their team tonight who'd get into our first 11?

So many good tactical switches from him today. I was horrified when I saw the starting line-up - no Eriksen, no Townsend, playing four central midfielders, throwing Kaboul back in the deep end, playing a right-footed left-back instead of a natural left footer in Vertonghen...these were some big gambles but every single one paid off massively. The substitutions were made at the correct times and they were all hugely effective. Full marks to him. 10/10. It's true that we had a bit of luck with Krul's mistake and Saudi Sportswashing Machine missing some chances, but unlike the luck we had in games under Sherwood's predecessor where we'd fail to have a single shot at home to an awful team but then win a dodgy penalty to win 1-0, this felt like luck we'd created ourselves through applying good pressure on Saudi Sportswashing Machine, playing good football and eventually the breaks came.

It seemed like it was gospel after the Everton game that Sherwood has had good results but was leaving something to be desired tactically. I actually think that he's shown more tactical flair and cunning in these 10 games than most of his predecessors that I've watched since 1993 have shown in their entire miserable Spurs careers. Let's look at it bit by bit:

Southampton - He knew they had first choice defenders missing so he went back to 4-4-2 in an attacking line-up and overwhelmed them, they weren't expecting to see Adebayor at all and were blown to pieces

West Brom - Ok this was ****. Too aggressive a team, no real cohesion. Let's write this one off to teething problems.

Stoke - Moved Eriksen into the wider position with Paulinho paired with Dembele in the 4-4-2 for the first time, gave the team far more balance, pace and dynamism than the previous games and had them playing intricate one touch passing football with tricks and flicks to delight the crowd as we thrashed a team who sat back and defended their way to a 0-0 the previous season.

Man Utd - Away to a big team he brought back Capoue as we needed a holding player. Through sitting back and playing on the counter-attack, we waiting for our moments when they were vulnerable and hit them hard to claim the win. Substitutions were poor in this game but he got away with it.

Crystal Palace - At home to a relegation struggler the need for a passer like Bentaleb is more important than a blocker like Capoue. The first half was **** but because of the motivation not the tactics. He gave them a gonad*ing at half time and we scored two goals, including one from one of his substitutes.

Swansea - Despite 4-4-2 getting him 13 points from 15, he made the brave decision to change it for this game as he knew Swansea's passing game in the centre would hurt us unless we packed the middle of the pitch. The extra man in midfield helped us as we scored 3 goals and won the game comfortably after some early scares.

Emirates Marketing Project - The decision to not play a DM was poor. I really had a go at him for this one. But...we have started slowly in a lot of games under him and we were coming back into the game before the penalty and the red card were wrongfully given. If we'd got an equaliser instead of going 2-0 down and down to 10 men, perhaps I'd now be writing about how ballsy he was to use the pumped White Hart Lane crowd on an evening game by playing an attacking line-up designed to have bodies in the centre of the pitch that can pass and move the ball and frustrate City by keeping possession after we scored.

Hull - This was very poor. I cannot forgive a manager taking 90 minutes to make his first substitution, especially if we're not winning. Performance was ok, but the result and the methodology weren't.

Everton - Paulinho back in, we'd have done far better early on if we'd pressed Everton more. Which is what he said he'd asked the players to do but it took a half-time gonad*ing to get the message across. After they did, we were the better team and on balance of the second half deserved to win the game.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine - See above. Knew they'd play a 4-4-2, so he packed the midfield to ensure we dominated the game. Saudi Sportswashing Machine had probably been studying Eriksen in training and planning for him, so by bringing in Capoue and pushing Bentaleb into a more advanced role, they had no idea how to deal with him and got punished for it. Big call to drop his captain in favour of Kaboul instead of moving Vertonghen out wide when Naughton was injured and it paid off with a clean sheet.

Yeah, three of the games were poor tactically. But 70% of them have shown real innovation, real intuition. Proactive tactical switches, based on who the opposition are and what will work best for the team. We've waited for years to see a manager do that, hiring fancy foreign coaches like Christian Gross, Juande Ramos and AVB who act like they are intelligent, learned men that have come from a place where they understand football better than us Brits do, yet in spite of all of their waffle, they've proven tactically clueless. Sherwood is getting results because the tactical switches he's made have been, on the whole, excellent.

Here's the other thing to consider. He's a young manager without much experience. There will be elements of trial and error. You can't expect him to get everything right. But, looking at the things he has got right so far, I've been positively encouraged. Long may it continue.

Excellent post Suiyha.....really good read and summarisation.

Ive mentioned it before but it could just be that we stumbled on the right man for the job.

Still lots of games to go and more time to see how timmy gets on.......liking what Ive seen so far......not long ago I gave him 8.5 out of 10 for what he has done so far....and I stick with that...for now.....credit to freund,Les.Chris Ramsey to.

Anyone else here thinking we'd be better leaving our first choice 11 for the Norwich game at home and fielding a completely different 11 for Dnipro away? I'm certain we could win the home leg

it's a small minority who don't really see things that way Craig from what i can see and it's certainly a very small minority who are actively hoping for Sherwood to leave in the summer. so i think piling in here straight after a good result to mock that minority is a little bit of a pointless task really.

i wonder, after a season of not really looking too clever, if this game could be the catalyst for a good run of form? (in terms of style)

That's fair enough Bill, I accept all those points. It's just as an initial Sherwood doubter who never expected anything from him I have grown to really appreciate what the bloke is doing. And I haven't seen Gutter Boy post on this forum tonight which has me concerned for his safety. I just hope tonight wasn't to much for him to take.

The temptation of LVG is still there but for me even if we finish within 4 points of Liverpool Sherwood would have done a fantastic job and still fully deserve to keep it. I'm not saying Sherwood would win the league managing Barca, or win the Champions League with Madrid, or do a treble with Porto but for us he seems like the right man.

This guy is really winning me over.

I agree....my point is though it will be interesting to see how Tim lines up for both games.....

In terms of tiredness we can have no excuses to other teams......

Paulie - been injured had a break
Verts - ditto
Kabs - had a long siesta
Townsend - injured had a break
Ade - firing and not jaded after not playing for first half of the season

you get my drift....I think we should be raring to go....but a long trip to ukraine followed by a sunday game......timmy will need to mix and match......not looking for excuses just hoping timmy manages the two matches well.

I'd worry about sending players recovering from long layoffs to Ukraine. It's a long trip, it will be cold and I am not sure what the playing conditions will be like.

THEY HATE SHERWOOD AND THEY HATE SHERWOOD
WHERE ARE THE THE TIMMY HATTERS?
THEY HATE SHERWOOD

Oh Timmy Timmy, used to be a gooner but now he's a Yid

=D>
:ross:

I've ****ged him of a lot, but we have been great today!! :)

well said grimsby. =D>

it may take a 4-0 away win, 7 wins out of 10, overturning a -10 goal difference but you came around to at least acknowledging that he is doing something positive even if to you its not good enough overall ;)

=D>
:ross:

Thanks Affy. We've made loads of requests in this thread asking posters not to **** stir and to discuss the topic. We get the thread back on topic and there is a decent discussion going and you come in and kick the hornets nest.

Anyone else here thinking we'd be better leaving our first choice 11 for the Norwich game at home and fielding a completely different 11 for Dnipro away? I'm certain we could win the home leg

Not me, it's all about momentum. We have 8 days off between Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Dnipro.. That's a long enough rest. I'd much rather try and smash them at their place, and then rest players in the home leg before the Cardiff game.

Thanks Affy. We've made loads of requests in this thread asking posters not to **** stir and to discuss the topic. We get the thread back on topic and there is a decent discussion going and you come in and kick the hornets nest.

oh come on. i read that first before getting to your's and billy

just delete his and mine? As in his post cheering on Sherwood by poking at the anti sherwood phalanx and delete mine thats laughing clapping

to be honest, i'm surprised you didnt delete that before actually

Last edited:

oh come on. i read that first before getting to your's and billy

just delete his and mine? As in his post cheering on Sherwood by poking at the anti sherwood phalanx and delete mine thats laughing clapping

to be honest, i'm surprised you didnt delete that before actually

Come on, you know damn well that we ask people to post positively and not provoke other posters here.

I think that it is sad that after a great away performance and result your first thought was to come here and stick it to the only two people (two people a phalanx does not make) on the board who disagree with you on Sherwood rather than talking about the game.

It would have been easy to looked at the result rather than the performance against Everton and not made many changes. But all credit to Tim he knew changes were needed and made them. Looked a better side lady night, though the opposition didn't look committed.
Still a work in progress, but picking up maximum points while developing.
Only 6 points behind Arsenal and closing. They were described as a spent force last night.

well said grimsby. =D>

it may take a 4-0 away win, 7 wins out of 10, overturning a -10 goal difference but you came around to at least acknowledging that he is doing something positive even if to you its not good enough overall ;)

Haha. I just react to what i see :) Obviously if we played badly for the rest of the season but kept up the winning percentage I would've been happy. But I was looking past the (what I thought were extremely lucky) results and seeing how we were playing, what selections, tactics and subs we were making, and I wasn't happy, it made me doubt him.

BUT, last night was extremely impressive. We were set up brilliantly, and for the first time I could see a real system, a real way of playing, a plan of attack, and it was executed perfectly. For the first time we came out confident and dominating. If we can keep it up (the performances not the 4-0's) then I will be a full on convert :)

Come on, you know damn well that we ask people to post positively and not provoke other posters here.

I think that it is sad that after a great away performance and result your first thought was to come here and stick it to the only two people (two people a phalanx does not make) on the board who disagree with you on Sherwood rather than talking about the game.

True. I couldnt help myself...i just keep thinking about Gutter boy actively campaigning for us to lose and i was relieved and happy that someone could gloat about the win....i apologise for that as it does not help

i would like to say though that your second comment was provocative as well, normally i dont mind / care at all that but in the same post that you say dont provoke others you go on to actually do that

I can understand completely about adding fuel to the fire, i shouldnt have done that but like i said it was an impulse i couldnt control at the time....

That was honestly a great performance last night and I was left eating humble pie. Gladly might I add. Nothing makes me happier than Spurs winning, and I'm sure it's the same for most of you. Moving Dembele into an attacking 3 pronged attack could turn out to be inspired. The guy wreaks havoc with the ball at his feet.

Look at right at the beginning of yesterday as he dispossessed Santon. Even versus Sunderland when they scored an OG. The way we pressed and with great intensity. Great to see.

And I loved the fluidity, when Kaboul went marauding forward, Capoue would simply fill in. It worked, and worked well. Obviously we still gave up some very good chances and had Lloris not been on his game we would have suffered. But hopefully Kaboul and Vertonghen will have a chance to really work on a proper understanding as a CB pairing.

Back