• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho -José Paulo Bezerra Maciel Júnior

A goalscoring midfielder is definitely a priority IMO...

By goalscoring, I mean a VdV-esque playmaker who both creates and scores goals. We had a huge problem last season even retaining the ball in midfield, much less developing a coherent passing rhythm and creating chances in the final third; that's why we sucked so bad at home, we just kept shooting from distance rather than trying to craft anything that required more than two passes.

That means any midfielder we buy must be especially good at the build-up part...one-touch passing, movement, vision and intelligence in the final third. A Mata or Cazorla or Oscar - someone who scores but also pulls the strings in midfield, creating for players like Bale.

Paulinho is a runner, not a playmaker. He's much more of a Ramires than those players, he has good timing when it comes to his runs but his passing is average according to people who've followed him for a long time (check out the Inter Milan thread). He's not a bad signing at all, especially considering Sandro and Dembele's fitness issues, but he's not a priority until we get our playmaker and Bernard and striker. I would hope we are pretty far along those signings at the same time.

I'm 99.99% certain we won't be getting a "playmaker" if we sign Paulinho, unless you count Bernard as one.

Its a big priority just like a striker is a big priority. Can we not negotiate for other players in other areas until we sign a striker or something?

Striker should be the first player we sign, simple as that. A position we've needed for 5 fudging years.

I'm 99.99% certain we won't be getting a "playmaker" if we sign Paulinho, unless you count Bernard as one.

Bernard's not a playmaker, more of a creative winger. I'd be very, very worried if we took yet another box-to-boxer instead of an actual creative midfielder, unless we think Holtby is magically going to turn into Mata.

Bernard's not a playmaker, more of a creative winger. I'd be very, very worried if we took yet another box-to-boxer instead of an actual creative midfielder, unless we think Holtby is magically going to turn into Mata.
Is Mata more of a creative winger / inside forward?

I wouldn't. Based on what most have said, Paulinho would fix a more chronic problem in our team, which is the chronic lack of goals from central midfield. We had a creative midfielder in Modric and to be honest apart from not looking as easy on the eye our results in terms of points won actually got better after he left (this is a cold-hard fact which you can't argue with).

Also, with Modric in the team we got 4th/5th/4th. This season we got 5th without Modric (although we got more points). This appears to suggest an emerging pattern of being pretty stable in terms of league position and performances.

We don't need a play-maker. It's a myth. We need creativity, but you can get creativity from different sources. I think improving movement upfront will help. I think switching properly to a 4-3-3 will help.

Paulinho from what I can tell is an all-action player who is good at driving at the box and scoring goals from late-runs. He looks very good and I hope we can bring him in.

Should we avoid signing other players while we wait then?

Players that aren't needed like Tom Ince, Fredy Guarin? I'd say so.

Unless a star comes a long who wants to leave and may be interested in us, THEN we look at them.

Unless a star comes a long who wants to leave and may be interested in us, THEN we look at them.

If we were to sign a striker right now we won't get the required quality or we'll have to spend everything we have, so it's more than sensible to be working on a long list of different targets and deal with each of them as things develop. I trust Levy to be in complete control over what funds are available and what our priorities are.

Maybe signing a top class midfielder could help persuade other targets?

To be fair, for Corinthians, Paulinho plays in a more advanced play maker role than he does for Brazil. In fact Big Phil's decision to play him in a more defensive role has been quite controversial. So don't look at him in this tournament and think that's all he offers. Although, to be fair, even in the deep role he's scored against us and the Japanese. We really need a goal threat in midfield, so if he offers that then great.

Negotiations with strikers are more than likely to take longer, they are at a premium so more interest etc. Negotiations will be occuring everywhere constantly,what with the wonderments of technology and all that....

Paulinho is not great. I can easily see his goals drying up in a 'proper' league.
He just not worth 14-17m He'd be good back up for Dembele but nothing more.

I meant look at him, what does he bring we dont have?

[video=youtube;FW7Dzvi0oQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW7Dzvi0oQU[/video]

[video=youtube;1C_1NHL1FCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C_1NHL1FCo[/video]

Paulinho is not great. I can easily see his goals drying up in a 'proper' league.
He just not worth 14-17m He'd be good back up for Dembele but nothing more.

I meant look at him, what does he bring we dont have?

How much have you seen of him?

Norwegian scout and former Monaco DoF Tor Kristian Karslen seems to rate him very highly, from his twitter (https://twitter.com/karlsentk):
Whoever ends up landing Paulinho (Spurs, Inter, Roma?) will have an absolutely amazing player on their hands - trust me.

Re last tweet: Paulinho (24, Corinthians/Brazil). Strong-running/goalscoring central midfielder with ability and personality

Re Paulinho tweets from last night - I've no information/knowledge as to whether Manchester United are in the frame for the player (1/2)

However, I'd be surprised if he (Paulinho) wasn't even on their shortlist. Seems an ideal addition to their midfield (2/2)

Back