• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho -José Paulo Bezerra Maciel Júnior

He was always closed down before he could do much. But I liked what I saw, what he tried to do with speed etc.

Japan have really worked to close them down. Second half it should open up.

hehe then he goes and shuts me up :p

Okay he scored and he looks good but is he really what we are missing?

I am not sure about that.

Would we have got more points if Sandro had not been injured?

How many goals has Sandro scored?

Can Parker support an attack effectively?

etc/

Would we have got more points if Sandro had not been injured?

How many goals has Sandro scored?

Can Parker support an attack effectively?

etc/

yes we would...his goals are not the factor, i's his read of the game and his distribution...

yes we would...his goals are not the factor, i's his read of the game and his distribution...

I think the point is more we need central midfielders who can actually score. We have Sig/Dempsey who play wide or behind the forward and contribute but in centre midfield between Sandro, Dembele, Parker et al they barely score and really you need at least one of your CMs to get a fair few...

Judging on last night's performance this guy is more a Lampard than a Parker. Even his goal was Lampard-esque.

Judging on last night's performance this guy is more a Lampard than a Parker. Even his goal was Lampard-esque.

Yep lets sign him up he looked good and offers more of a goal threat then sandro, a midfield power house two of sandro and paulinho would fit in with AVB's style i think.

We will play very boring football if that's the case. A playmaker is as important a signing for us as a new striker IMO.

Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho, whilst all very talented players in their own right, are not playmakers. And if we're going to play with our wing forwards being traditional winger types in Bale and Lennon, then we will struggle to break down well organised teams who defend deep.

Chelsea didn't have a playmaker in their title winning midfields either - Makelele/Essien/Lampard is quite similar in style to Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho. I agree that if given the choice I'd rather have a playmaker but perhaps we're going down the line of having a powerful and industrious midfield three with one of those able to get you goals(Paulinho) and then having lots of goals in the front three.

Those of you that have seen more of Paulinho than me, how is he when it comes to passing and creativity compared to Dembele for example?

Based on yesterday I don't think he's better in that regard but he gets into the box a lot, very similar to Lampard but like I say that's only from yesterday's game.

Chelsea didn't have a playmaker in their title winning midfields either - Makelele/Essien/Lampard is quite similar in style to Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho. I agree that if given the choice I'd rather have a playmaker but perhaps we're going down the line of having a powerful and industrious midfield three with one of those able to get you goals(Paulinho) and then having lots of goals in the front three.

A bit of Mourinho rubbing off on his protégé?

Those of you that have seen more of Paulinho than me, how is he when it comes to passing and creativity compared to Dembele for example?

Based on yesterday, it is hard to tell, as the pitch was woeful. Not great for passing. And the game was very tight with Japan stifling pass and move.

He looked very combative, able to collect the ball - either in a tight space or tackle someone - take a deft touch, and quickly take the ball forward. Can't tell if he has a eye for a pass, but he has an intent and drive to attack.

Athletic. Energetic. Still a bit raw.

AVB though is a much more attacking manager than Mourinho though. He likes to win through possession, rather than discipline.

AVB's Porto midfield was Fernando (Sandro), Guarin (Dembele) and Moutinho (Carroll).

Paulinho is very much another Guarin/Dembele.

that's a good point

AVB though is a much more attacking manager than Mourinho though. He likes to win through possession, rather than discipline.

AVB's Porto midfield was Fernando (Sandro), Guarin (Dembele) and Moutinho (Carroll).

Paulinho is very much another Guarin/Dembele.

Well on yesterday's evidence he's not. His style of play was very Lampard-esque, I wouldn't say Dembele is similar to Lampard.

1. In Mourinho's first season they had Gudjohnsen starting most matches to add creativity to the side, then in the second season it was Joe Cole. Also, Lampard was/is a very creative player, even though his best attribute was timing of his runs into the box to score goals, he could still pick a pass.

2. That Chelsea side was ruthlessly efficient but awful to watch. It was the reason that Abramovich got rid of Mourinho the first time around.

Games like Southampton and Sunderland at home last season...they were wins but they weren't enjoyable at all because we were absolutely terrible for 90 minutes save for a moment of genius in both games from Bale. We can't rely on that, we need to improve our ability to create chances.

Back