• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Oh dear, not this again.
We've been through the stats a trillion times and know that wrong.

Lamela isn't a secure option because of his injury record. Not his lack of assists.

Is that true? Just looked at WhoScored and it looks like he’s only had one season where his stats suggest he’d have broken 10 assists if he’d started 30+ games.

Goal and an assist - not sure what more he needs to do against Manchester goddamn City to be considered one of our better players.

For me, he had a good game.
I love Erik mate and of course he made two crucial interventions that kept us in the game. But he is a superb player who could do a lot more and he gave away the ball far too easily yesterday plus as was the case with all our midfield, he got bypassed far to easily by City.

I thought he was decent yesterday, if he could improve on his final ball and the amount he gives it away he could end up a proper player

Erick is either brilliant or frustrating. Yesterday he was awesome. Him and Moura transformed a game we were destined to lose.

Do you think both play better when we're losing? I think they are problem solvers who seem to come up with the goods when we're in a sticky situation. But are maybe not as focused when we're at 0-0 or need to impose ourselves on a game from the start.

Last edited:
I love Erik mate and of course he made two crucial interventions that kept us in the game. But he is a superb player who could do a lot more and he gave away the ball far too easily yesterday plus as was the case with all our midfield, he got bypassed far to easily by City.

Fair, mate, but I think that happened to everyone. We didn't play well yesterday as a unit. With Erik, the issue is that the players arguably more central to the side (Winksy, Kane, Eriksen, Toby et al) all underperformed, while Lamela, although equally prone to being dispossessed and bypassed, also scored and assisted the second goal.

Given that, I think it's fair to say he had a good game in the circumstances. But as you say, definitely had a multiple flaws in his game too.

He was often giving the ball away (like everyone else).
However, the position he took up plus the finish seemed to show what is possible from him if he plays in the just inside forward position if we play a 4-3-3 with him one of those 2 alongside a central positioned Kane.
Lovely finish and it doesn't seem often he gets into such shooting positions.
Do people think we have someone to do that from the other side of Kane? Not sure if Son is best there or in fact in the position Lamela shot from...

He was often giving the ball away (like everyone else).
However, the position he took up plus the finish seemed to show what is possible from him if he plays in the just inside forward position if we play a 4-3-3 with him one of those 2 alongside a central positioned Kane.
Lovely finish and it doesn't seem often he gets into such shooting positions.
Do people think we have someone to do that from the other side of Kane? Not sure if Son is best there or in fact in the position Lamela shot from...

Lamela excels when we’re not at our best it seems (although he does like playing city and has a good scoring and assist record vs them)

There's a much better player in there than we see unfortunately.
Not sure that if it's that he doesn't suit our style/formation or a lack of confidence.
He seems to be on a different wave length to the others, he makes passes for runs that don't come or dallies on the ball waiting for the run, gets caught in two minds about going it alone or passing.
Much like Eriksen is the opposite and on the same wavelength with Harry and son especially, if you dropped lamela (insert injury joke here) into another team and I reckon he would flourish.
Another, like Trippier, Id be sad to see go but it would probably be best for everyone.

Last edited:
I’d be happy for him to stay as a squad player if he can improve his injury record. Don’t think his end product is good enough to start for us ahead of Son, Moura, Alli and Eriksen when he can be bothered. Don’t think there’s any chance he will leave this season especially with Eriksen potentially leaving in the next 10 days or so.

I’d be happy for him to stay as a squad player if he can improve his injury record. Don’t think his end product is good enough to start for us ahead of Son, Moura, Alli and Eriksen when he can be bothered. Don’t think there’s any chance he will leave this season especially with Eriksen potentially leaving in the next 10 days or so.

No end product, after a goal and an assist against the best team in the league. You're joking. Invariably when Lamela plays, he creates or scores. Countless times he's come off the bench and instantly created a goal.

Lamela is far from perfect but he certainly has his value to the squad. I have heard that he is apparently on one of the lowest wages in our squad, he embodies the type of pressing game that Poch likes to utilise, and he takes the risky passes to split open defences. Sure, quite often they dont come off but you need someone who takes such risks rather than just playing the safe option all the time....

Back