• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

We often don't discover the true reason a player has been left out until sometime later. Fingers crossed it was purely tactical and nothing else ...
I’d rather discover it wasn’t tactical. For me Sanchez could contend with Rashfords pace, and is also up for the physical challenge and part of a settled defensive unit. Little mistakes like that that led to goal are always more likely to happen when changing personnel at the back....

I’d rather discover it wasn’t tactical. For me Sanchez could contend with Rashfords pace, and is also up for the physical challenge and part of a settled defensive unit. Little mistakes like that that led to goal are always more likely to happen when changing personnel at the back....
You mean you'd rather it turns out he's had a bust-up with Poch or something? o_O

It seems an odd time to switch, Sanchez was rested against West Ham. It’s great to have versatility and flexibility but don’t see what the Need was to change the back three for that game from a tactical POV. If something else to it then fine....
It's not like they ran riot over our defense yesterday. What I did find odd, however, was that Dier was played centrally, rather than on the right where he usually featured for us last season.

It's not like they ran riot over our defense yesterday. What I did find odd, however, was that Dier was played centrally, rather than on the right where he usually featured for us last season.

Looking back, this was odd to me as well. However, technically, it's how that sweeper role in the center of the back line is supposed to work - the fastest player is usually stationed there to sweep up behind if anything gets through, and he's between the other two centre-backs so he can go left or right as necessary. This is especially true for three-man defenses playing high lines - the central defender needs to be quick to sweep up the large areas of space behind the other two. It's less important in a deep line, because there's less space to cover behind the defense.

Technically, playing Dier on the right of three was actually the unusual selection. But given that we were regularly using him there anyway, I agree - the change was unusual in that context.

Dier dropped back in to the central CB position when we played 4231 regularly so not that strange to see imo

Can someone breakdown tactically what Sanchez has brought to our defence and our play in general.
Ta
pexels-photo-207142.jpeg

Back