• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

I see this idea gathering stream (although it’s a nicer idea than calling him literally not a footballer) that Sissoko would only really function with a creative alongside him, but I just disagree. I agree that in a 4231, he is best as one of the two. But I don’t agree that we would struggle to break teams down if he is partnered with Dier or Wanyama there and a team came to defend against us. We play at that tempo from yesterday against any team, we will score goals.

I also think it’s been over a year since Sissoko was consistently employed as one of the 3. Last season he played deeper and it was more of a diamond when he started, although there were times (Burnley away, 3-0 win) where he played in the 2 with Dier.

Winks is obviously a better passer, but he couldn’t make the tackle on Kovacic that is widely shared because he isn’t as physical. It’s good to have a mix of attributes in the squad, but overall the system is what will help us win games. Sissoko is performing to a level now whereby whether it’s him or Winks, or partnered with a DM or not, it’s much of a muchness as long as the system works. I confidently predict that if we play some bus parking sides this season and it’s a Sissoko / Dier 2, we will swat them aside.

I also don’t agree that Sissoko was a pure DM yesterday. The whole team started collapsing into the space in front of our box once we got into a 2 goal lead. But when it was the chance to break (as with Kane’s miss), it was Sissoko bombing up the field. And again, it arguably isn’t a position Winks could get himself into, so they both have creative benefits in different ways.

Sissoko offers virtually nothing going forward. I dont care that he got a good assist a feww weeks back (and nearly did yesterday), I dont care that he runs and covers ground. As an attacking player he is poor and produces no where near enough.

As a box to box player he is so tactically out of step with the team its ridiculous, spending huge portions of the game simply in the wrong place. Yes, some effective actions, but no - not "good" by any stretch despite how many people seem to think so.

As a DM - which he most certainly was yesterday - he was the best and most useful he has ever been. Still managed a few Sissoko moments, hilariously running the ball straight out of play at one point. I say "running the ball..." but his touch was so bad he was 15 yards behind it as it went off! BUT - given his over all positive performance, it wasnt the sort of thing to jar and tinkle me off.

He was extremely disciplined, and was under clear instruction to stay deep and in position, and he did a good job hunting everything down as it came toward our goal. Being given the narrow remit to follow I think worked for him. It was within his ability to perform.

I've felt for a while that they will do well until someone works them out and then their form will plummet.

Hazard will keep them there or there abouts
Then will leave this summer as he knows they have no where to go if the team isn’t improved and he has the Madrid offer incoming

I really can’t be bothered reading half of the posts here, as it’s the same old, back and forth.

Sissoko started off poor, very poor. Even when very poor he put in effort, but his output was nonetheless dubious at best.
But gradually he has improved. Game on game he has looked better and his team mates seem to trust him more.
There comes a point where looking back is irrelevant Lets just enjoy that he’s playing well, making an impact, and proving himself to be a valuable squad player, and even a valuable starting 11 player. That is all that matters.

I really can’t be bothered reading half of the posts here, as it’s the same old, back and forth.

Sissoko started off poor, very poor. Even when very poor he put in effort, but his output was nonetheless dubious at best.
But gradually he has improved. Game on game he has looked better and his team mates seem to trust him more.
There comes a point where looking back is irrelevant Lets just enjoy that he’s playing well, making an impact, and proving himself to be a valuable squad player, and even a valuable starting 11 player. That is all that matters.

Being right is all that matters it seems

My quotes in bold within quotes mate...

I really feel like you have me confused with someone else. And I also feel you might want to order your own thoughts on the player before taking shots at me ;)

You'll survive, I happily said I'd apologize if I was wrong and am happy to do that. Thing is, you have put forth so many differing opinions on Sissoko/got into it with BoL, it is easy to confuse your position from one week to the next!!!!

It was over a week ago I stated his best position for us, to get the most out of him, would be strictly as a DM. To which you disagreed. Only to make the exact same point a few days later :D

Now I am confused. I have always felt he is best used running into space from central positions! Having consistently said that there was a player in there, that he was bravely doing a job for us and that Poch obviously trusted him, I feel comfortable with my perspective mate

I actually believe - and still believe - DM is getting the absolute most out of him. And disagree with you entirely that he should in any way be a box to box player.

Excellent. At least we have clarity!

It was notable in the last two games prior, how poor his positioning and movement was as a b2b type, as well as the fact he simply doesnt provide enough of anything going forward. Against Wolves he left Winks consistently exposed and the team suffered. Against Palace Wanyama did a very good job of covering his gaps and people were then claiming Sissoko to be the second coming. He wasnt, HIS performance was basically as before, but the team was set up to compensate.

Well somewhere along the line you're going to have to either admit that a) you're seeing it differently to many including the manager or b) you never really liked him and are perplexed by the fuss. Against Wolves, the biggest issue was Tripper, end of. HE imbalanced everything. We were cruising to a 3-0 victory before Tripps decided to lose focus.Sissoko had nothing to do with it that day. He did a job for us but so did Winksy, who selflessly dropped in and sat too. I believe long-term Poch would love to be able to play a second deep midfielder who can go box-to-box and not just sit. Palace? Again, he and Wanyama worked together. See it as you wish. I will tell you right now I'd flog Wanyama before Sissoko.

Yesterday? He was EXPLICITY a DM. Not b2b, this was a very different role. Most obviously when he intercepted a ball, thought to put the afterburners on, but then consciously checked back and played it simple. He was very clearly given a strict role to play which was different from what he has been doing.

OK. I heartily disagree. Let's break this down. We play a fluid formation, clearly, but are you genuinely telling me you saw Sissoko at the base of the diamond? Here's what I saw. Dier at the base, Sissoko on the right, Eriksen left and Alli at the tip with Kane and Son up top but ALL those four given absolute license to drift into #10/swith positions/be fluid. To my vision, Sissoko was absolutely working a tandem with Aurier, and Dier was providing the security to allow Sissoko to win back balls and steam forwards/feed others/sit in and allow the other 4 to get on with what they do best and destroy teams. Dier was the sitting DM. There were times when we switched to two sitting, but it was the diamond which killed Chelski in the first 30 mins of the game. In essence (and directly to your point about Kante) Chelski's biggest mistake was where they plated Kante in relation to Jorghino . We did not make that mistake. Dier did what Dier does so so well (frankly unnoticed by too many IMO)...

He was playing the role I have been saying he should be, the one you argued against. And, as I said, I think it was probably his best performance for us.

Nope. I broke down what I saw above, so I disagree. he played deeper than, say Eriksen of course, but if you think he played as shield, then you are suggesting that he had no license to push forward (he clearly did push forward often, especially in the first half, especially off Aurier). Dier was the shield. We did not line up 4-2-3-1...again, these are fine distinctions I appreciate that and I understand you know your tactics, but it started as a diamond. In fact, what the four creatives/attackers did is what they/we do! We simply have not been able to play them that way for most of the season as they have been unavailable to us!

When playing as an outright DM, then he could replace Wanyama on that sort of form. He wont ever be able to replace Dembele though.

I think he allows us to play with one traditional sitting player in Dier. Against "lighter" teams, he allows us to play with Winks and him sitting and taking turns to push or hold (Winks is no doubt the future and as many have said will become Luka-esque with continued time). I would sell Dembele and Wanyama ahead of him right now. The Moose is losing pace and gets caught in possession far too often. He'd have cost us yesterday.

I also don’t agree that Sissoko was a pure DM yesterday. The whole team started collapsing into the space in front of our box once we got into a 2 goal lead. But when it was the chance to break (as with Kane’s miss), it was Sissoko bombing up the field. And again, it arguably isn’t a position Winks could get himself into, so they both have creative benefits in different ways.

He wasn't.
I believe I broke down what he was in response to Nayim's debate point.

Bless Im, Santa delivered early for all THFC fans...a new and improved version of Moussa Sissoko!

Dunno how we'd have coped without that supreme horsepower engine or those wacky long legs not quite sure what to do with that tiny little round thing filled with air called a football....

Scara, scara oh scara...

One day we may all be priveliged enough to one day enjoy the splendour of the scenery, that only you can see perched atop that mighty high horse you sit on surveying your subjects....

I for one am so happy to be on the ground and to have a compassionate heart....

How one can not love a man for battling back from the abyss as he has done is beyond me....a lesser man would have crawled under a rock sobbing whilst smearing himself in his own faeces.

Moussa Sissoko is like Gandalf, standing on a bridge like a wizened old tree leaning on his staff. And as the mighty Balrog (the haters) attempt to slay him...

He stands there in defiance!

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

You'll survive, I happily said I'd apologize if I was wrong and am happy to do that. Thing is, you have put forth so many differing opinions on Sissoko/got into it with BoL, it is easy to confuse your position from one week to the next!!!!

Excellent. At least we have clarity!

I have always been clear in my thoughts on Sissoko. Consistent in saying what I see, both positive and negative. So I find these statements odd.

Unless Im supposed to just pick on single view on the player and stick to it no matter how he performs? That does seem to happen in here...

Now I am confused. I have always felt he is best used running into space from central positions! Having consistently said that there was a player in there, that he was bravely doing a job for us and that Poch obviously trusted him, I feel comfortable with my perspective mate

I made the argument he should be a DM. You quite strongly disagreed, then a few days later argued he should be a DM. I thought it was funny, particularly in light of your accusing me of not holding a consistent opinion on him ;)

Well somewhere along the line you're going to have to either admit that a) you're seeing it differently to many including the manager or b) you never really liked him and are perplexed by the fuss. Against Wolves, the biggest issue was Tripper, end of. HE imbalanced everything. We were cruising to a 3-0 victory before Tripps decided to lose focus.Sissoko had nothing to do with it that day. He did a job for us but so did Winksy, who selflessly dropped in and sat too. I believe long-term Poch would love to be able to play a second deep midfielder who can go box-to-box and not just sit. Palace? Again, he and Wanyama worked together. See it as you wish. I will tell you right now I'd flog Wanyama before Sissoko.

I dont see why I would have to admit either. I can only state, ad infinitum, I say it as I see it. People seem to think there is some personal investment in him being poor and my being justified, as if I WANT to be right that he isnt good enough. I couldnt be happier with his performance Saturday, honestly I didnt think he had it in him, its hardly like Ive lost out is it? All I have ever done is told it as I see it.

Wolves? Trippier was terrible. No argument for me. Are there rules now that we can only have one poor performer in a match though?

People were creaming about Sissoko after Wolves, I just didnt see it. I saw a player galavanting up the pitch, doing fudge when he got there, and exposing our midfield. And I saw someone, so often proclaimed for their fitness and ethic, criminally just meandering back to position while Winks was trying to hold it together on his own. I think Sissoko had a LOT to do with the late collapse and tension we had seeing that game out.

Palace? I thought Sissoko was much the same, but Wanyama was much better equipped to cover than Winks. It also helped that Palace offered no threat at all, which basically meant Sissoko wouldnt be shown up at all (nobody would have, we could have given an academy kid their debut and they'd have looked good).

OK. I heartily disagree. Let's break this down. We play a fluid formation, clearly, but are you genuinely telling me you saw Sissoko at the base of the diamond? Here's what I saw. Dier at the base, Sissoko on the right, Eriksen left and Alli at the tip with Kane and Son up top but ALL those four given absolute license to drift into #10/swith positions/be fluid. To my vision, Sissoko was absolutely working a tandem with Aurier, and Dier was providing the security to allow Sissoko to win back balls and steam forwards/feed others/sit in and allow the other 4 to get on with what they do best and destroy teams. Dier was the sitting DM. There were times when we switched to two sitting, but it was the diamond which killed Chelski in the first 30 mins of the game. In essence (and directly to your point about Kante) Chelski's biggest mistake was where they plated Kante in relation to Jorghino . We did not make that mistake. Dier did what Dier does so so well (frankly unnoticed by too many IMO)...

I didnt see it as a diamond really. I saw Dier and Sissoko sitting in and giving security to the rest to play. As you say, we do play a fluid formation, and so at times of course either venture forward - but it was absolutely notable Sissoko was checking his instinct to run forward and playing a much more positionally disciplined role.

If you think he played in any way similar to Wolves or Palace then I suggest we were simply watching different games.

Frustratingly I cannot find heatmaps for the games, I am certain they would look very different to illustrate what Im saying.

Nope. I broke down what I saw above, so I disagree. he played deeper than, say Eriksen of course, but if you think he played as shield, then you are suggesting that he had no license to push forward (he clearly did push forward often, especially in the first half, especially off Aurier). Dier was the shield. We did not line up 4-2-3-1...again, these are fine distinctions I appreciate that and I understand you know your tactics, but it started as a diamond. In fact, what the four creatives/attackers did is what they/we do! We simply have not been able to play them that way for most of the season as they have been unavailable to us!

Opinions and assholes and everyone has one, and all that ;)

I dont look too much into formations, mainly for a few reasons. 1) as you said yourself ours are always very fluid, 2) Poch is in the habit of changing them frequently in-game, and 3) they tend to inform your thinking too much on players (IE, he was this position so must be this and this...).

Given all that fluidity we could argue all day just about what shape we were in.

I prefer to think in roles, and IMO both Sissoko and Dier were defensive, allowing the rest to go do their stuff. Of course there is room in that for players to venture forward (or back!) but in essence, they were doing defensive work in midfield.

And as I said, I think it was a noticeable change in Sissokos positioning and actions. He was restraining himself a lot, and playing a very disciplined and focused game (something even his biggest fans must admit isnt his strong suit)

I think he allows us to play with one traditional sitting player in Dier. Against "lighter" teams, he allows us to play with Winks and him sitting and taking turns to push or hold (Winks is no doubt the future and as many have said will become Luka-esque with continued time). I would sell Dembele and Wanyama ahead of him right now. The Moose is losing pace and gets caught in possession far too often. He'd have cost us yesterday.

In a box to box capacity I dont think he "allows" anything, I think he is a compromise, and the team has to compensate for his weaknesses.

In this capacity Id sell him with Dembele and Wanyama and not think twice about it.

IF he can nail down a role like Chelsea? Then I can see him as having value. In that role I thought he was very good - and based on the last year or so definitely better than Wanyama has been. Though he doesnt and never will compare to Dembele, entirely different jobs.

Ben Davies in Football London on whether all of the flak Sissoko took had got to his team-mate:

"Possibly. It's tough to say. It's hard to get in players' heads and know what they're thinking at the time. But if you get told you're not playing well it's going to get in your head," he said.

"But if you can come back from that, you can do anything. He's really shown his importance to this team.

"He's an incredibly hard worker and that's what we've got throughout this team – boys who work hard and are willing to put the effort in on the training ground. It's paying off in the matches for us. He's no different to anyone else in that regard."

"I thought he was excellent again [against Chelsea]. He's really showing the quality he's got but we never had any doubts about what he can bring to this team," he said.

"He got a bit of flak, sometimes unfair, and he became a bit of a spacegoat when we didn't perform at our best. But I thought today, and during this season, he's been excellent for us, so we're delighted for him."

However, with his improvement, I have stated the way to play him to his best utility is as a strict DM. Yesterday he did that, and IMO put in his best performance for us since joining. He did well.
I disagree that Sissoko was playing as an outright DM on Saturday. I think Dier was playing that role (and played it very well). My thoughts were that Sissoko was playing more in the 'Dembele' type role, although it seemed more as though we were playing four in midfield with Dier holding, Eriksen left sided, Sissoko right sided and Ali further forward, with specific instructions to track Jorginho when Chelsea got possession.

Last edited:
Ben Davies in Football London on whether all of the flak Sissoko took had got to his team-mate:

"Possibly. It's tough to say. It's hard to get in players' heads and know what they're thinking at the time. But if you get told you're not playing well it's going to get in your head," he said.

"But if you can come back from that, you can do anything. He's really shown his importance to this team.

"He's an incredibly hard worker and that's what we've got throughout this team – boys who work hard and are willing to put the effort in on the training ground. It's paying off in the matches for us. He's no different to anyone else in that regard."

"I thought he was excellent again [against Chelsea]. He's really showing the quality he's got but we never had any doubts about what he can bring to this team," he said.

"He got a bit of flak, sometimes unfair, and he became a bit of a spacegoat when we didn't perform at our best. But I thought today, and during this season, he's been excellent for us, so we're delighted for him."
What would Davies know!.... Football London need to stop interviewing these nobodies and interview Nayimfromthehalfwayline instead! ;)

Back