• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

I hope it doesn't happen, no way should we be paying that sort of money for a mediocre player.

I understand that transfer fees are/have gone crazy, but City paid 60 million for Mahrez who has proved he can light any team up, Zaha ( imo) is/has been quoted as up to 70 million and as i have said i do not see that about of money being value for money.

I normally really agree with most of your arguments but for the life of me I am completely puzzled by this...

So Mahrez (a non-UK trained player who at the moment we would struggle to incorporate with our foreigner limit) is fine because he can light up a team which is just two players short of the team which won the PL two seasons ago. But Zaha who would qualify as an English player and therefore pose no problem (which in turn adds a 10 mill premium to his fee) is not, despite the fact that he single-handledly kept his team up; a team made up of mediocre players who - with Zaha out injured - were routed at the bottom of the league with not a hope in sight. A situation that meant that he was double or triple marked every game and yet he still produced... game after game, even against top 4 clubs.

There is also another issue. Mahrez stayed for a full extra year after being stopped from leaving last summer and in January, even going on strike. There is no way Leicester could keep him for another season; their bargaining hand was weakened and that chops off another 10 -20 mill from his fee...

The thing is that a player's value is established by a myriad of factors and you cannot just compare like with like.

Is Zaha a risk? Of course he is. Would I prefer to spend 20 mill on Zaha than Richarlison - going at 50 mill; not a shadow of a doubt.

Ultimately I find this fixation by Spurs fans (I don't see it as much with other top clubs actually) on a player's fee rather strange. It is simply not something that concerns us, not when we have the most penny wise chairman in the league. If he agrees with the financial aspect of the deal, that should be good enough for us... and all we should discuss is whether or not Zaha can bring in something extra to the team.

Ultimately I find this fixation by Spurs fans (I don't see it as much with other top clubs actually) on a player's fee rather strange. It is simply not something that concerns us, not when we have the most penny wise chairman in the league. If he agrees with the financial aspect of the deal, that should be good enough for us... and all we should discuss is whether or not Zaha can bring in something extra to the team.

Symptomatic of ‘modern football’. Fans have all become accountants, and celebrate being top of the sky sports ‘net spend’ league table!!

Last edited:
At the end of the day a transfer fee is a compromise based on the player's perceived worth to both seller and buyer in the prevailing market conditions.

We all know Levy will not pay one penny more than he believes a player is worth, even though he occasionally fudges up (Sissoko). The point is he makes a decision based on what he believes the player can do for the club and more often than not he gets it right. Even when he gets it wrong he usually manages to recoup most of - and sometimes even more than - his initial outlay when selling on.

As for Zaha, when defenders can go for £50m an extra £10m or £20m for an attacker of his potential sounds about right.

But why do fans really care

If Poch wants him and we can get him, we should buy him if we can afford it

Because it's all hypothetical - at the moment it's only rumoured that we're interestrd in him and it's only rumoured what his fee would be and off of those rumours fans are are either for or against the move

Because it's all hypothetical - at the moment it's only rumoured that we're interestrd in him and it's only rumoured what his fee would be and off of those rumours fans are are either for or against the move

Yeah I get that but as I say... the money thing is something we all get too hooked on

Yeah I get that but as I say... the money thing is something we all get too hooked on

The price a potential player is will be one of the biggest deciding factors on a move going/falling through, it's what the club will spend days/weeks/months negotiating and will effect what other business can be done. Just paying what Palace want for Zaha might mean lowering our ambitions for other targets which is why people get hung up on it

Plus being in for a 70m rated player opens up a hell of a lot of possibilities in the market and means we can probably attract some real top level players here.

Levy has got us all thinking about the money thing.

We're all mini Levy's wanting our club to tip toe thru the financial minefield and somehow reach the top. It looks to be working though, and perhaps that's why we care. It's perceived that if we overspend it is one thing that could bring our beautiful thing crashing down.

Leeds fans didn't care about Ridsfale, he gave them all they ever wanted......and then some.

The price a potential player is will be one of the biggest deciding factors on a move going/falling through, it's what the club will spend days/weeks/months negotiating and will effect what other business can be done. Just paying what Palace want for Zaha might mean lowering our ambitions for other targets which is why people get hung up on it

Plus being in for a 70m rated player opens up a hell of a lot of possibilities in the market and means we can probably attract some real top level players here.

Top Level Players - Which the club may believe Zaha is ??

Levy has got us all thinking about the money thing.

We're all mini Levy's wanting our club to tip toe thru the financial minefield and somehow reach the top. It looks to be working though, and perhaps that's why we care. It's perceived that if we overspend it is one thing that could bring our beautiful thing crashing down.

Leeds fans didn't care about Ridsfale, he gave them all they ever wanted......and then some.

Great comments

I see where you’re coming from but I think one of our biggest issues is still breaking teams down despite our plethora of attacking players. All the other top teams have that game changing pacy dribbler and that is the one thing we really lack. Son has his moments but i wouldn’t put him in that category. Zaha would change games for us, in the same way Sane,Mahrez,Salah,Hazard can.....

Definitely, we can be quite predictable going forwards and need more guile and pace in those areas. I also feel we don't move the ball quick enough and need to work on that. Moura can add the pace and possibly the guile but we'll have to see.

Just because we have good players if others are available then we shouldn't be afraid to go for them, teams do work out how you play eventually so you need to keep changing things up either with new players or styles of play.

I like Zaha but wouldn't want us to pay £70m for him, I would expect someone at a higher level for that amount of money. That's nearly 25% of our turnover.

Zaha is £40m tops.
I'd rather pay around that for Grealish, I think Pochettiho can improve what is already a skilfull individual.

Plus us being in for a 70m rated player opens up a hell of a lot of possibilities in the market and means we can probably attract some real top level players here.
Which players? Which players are available of similar quality, that does not take up a foreigner spot, that we already have to many of. Who are those players? Please enlighten us.

Which players? Which players are available of similar quality, that does not take up a foreigner spot, that we already have to many of. Who are those players? Please enlighten us.

There isn’t anyone

Someone did suggest spending the same on Brandt and Bailey which wound make sense but as you highlight the issue remains about the foreigner spots

Zaha is £40m tops.
I'd rather pay around that for Grealish, I think Pochettiho can improve what is already a skilfull individual.
i'd like to get both and get rid of llorente sissoko and nkoudou. just both of them will give us a lot more options than those three.
i don't mind us keeping alder and dembele for one more season and accepting the costs; the stability will help a lot in this new season of late transfers and transitioning to a new stadium.

As already stated before we don't have to make this signing an english player we can buy a grealish type to stpck up the quota and focus on bringing in real quality for big money

Back