• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yahoo account hacked

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
What should I do? It says that I need to create a new password, due to suspicious activity, and yet every password that I try to create, it says that I can't have a password that matches an old password. I've made up passwords on the spot, ones that I've never had, and yet it says these have been had before. WTF

Getting ****ed off with Yahoo. I've had both accounts hacked within the last year. I've never had this crap with any other email server.

I have updated my password. Hate how Yahoo seems so unsecure. I might start using another email server in future.

Are you sure you weren't on a phishing website?

Sounds like a really good way to get all of someone's passwords.

Yup. I can see what you mean but I went directly from my emails. I managed to sort it in the end. I think it was one of those times where multiple email accounts get hacked, so dodgy emails are sent which appear to be from those accounts but which are full of viruses. I've managed to change the password now and the other passwords that I was using were fictitious, in terms of not existing so would offer nothing.

It is concerning how easily an account gets hacked though. Especially when the password had been described as strong previously. I'm guessing multiple passwords were tried automatically until one worked fortunately for them.

Yup. I can see what you mean but I went directly from my emails. I managed to sort it in the end. I think it was one of those times where multiple email accounts get hacked, so dodgy emails are sent which appear to be from those accounts but which are full of viruses. I've managed to change the password now and the other passwords that I was using were fictitious, in terms of not existing so would offer nothing.

It is concerning how easily an account gets hacked though. Especially when the password had been described as strong previously. I'm guessing multiple passwords were tried automatically until one worked fortunately for them.

It could be dictionary-based, it could also be social engineering.

You have two security questions on your account, right? If so, could I guess them from being a Facebook friend? I bet I could.

I can't remember my security questions but I'm definitely going to have to take a look tonight. Facebook wise, I've chosen the settings with most privacy. Only friends can see what I've posted etc I appreciate that that still allows my account some exposure but without some exposure what's the point of a social media site like Facebook?

The strengths of the site are equally the potential weaknesses of the site. You just need to be savvy in the operation of the site.

My password had previously been a word. That would have played right in to the hands of dictionary based exploitation systems, so that's been changed.

Then it was almost certainly a dictionary attack. The good news is that those are only usually used for creating spambots - yahoo intercepted that.

Yup. The emails that the bot tried to send out we're intercepted as 'suspicious activity'. So, in hindsight, I was at fault for having created a password which could be easily processed using dictionary algorithms.

So I'll retract what I said about Yahoo and start over with more security. I guess Yahoo can only be as secure as the passwords created by its users, in this example, me.

New password created, so hopefully that's the end of the problems. Thanks for advice about this.

Apparently if you type your password in as a reply it automatically hides it.

It works :eek:

Daily Mail Football @MAILfootball

Wayne Rooney's former mobile phone password revealed at phone hacking trial to be 'Stella Artois'

Daily Mail Football @MAILfootball

Wayne Rooney's former mobile phone password revealed at phone hacking trial to be 'Stella Artois'

surprised he managed to spell it correctly.

On the password front, why not use a sentence rather than just a word or string of characters, longer is actually safer than more complex. Try Mybumsmellsof****789 or something like that, it would take a long time to brute force that password.

surprised he managed to spell it correctly.

On the password front, why not use a sentence rather than just a word or string of characters, longer is actually safer than more complex. Try Mybumsmellsof****789 or something like that, it would take a long time to brute force that password.
I wouldn't put four star up your bum, you'll get lead poisoning.

Back