• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Worst cover song

The one that makes me cringe the most is the horrible emo version of How Soon Is Now that's the title music for Charmed

I hate Iron and Wine's Such Great Heights too

There are covers of Snow Patrol's Run and the Las' There's She Goes that bother me too. Also the Hallelujah that wasn't Leonard Cohen or Jeff Buckley

Last edited:
I don't know when mainstream karaoke & murdering songs became an ok thing to do. I hate hearing songs not sang by the original artist, especially when the new artist has not changed the song at all other than to take it down a notch with a worse performance.

Too many adverts feature cover versions. Awful

That's for financial or permission reasons - it's either too expensive to get them or the original artist won't allow it for reasons of integrity. A cover by a z-lister is much cheaper to use and the songwriter often can't do anything to stop it.

The worst I can remember of this was when Shed Seven refused The Link permission to use a song of theirs (Speakeasy) on an advert. So The Link just colluded with the band's old record label to get someone to impersonate (not even cover) them, changing the words into a jingle about the product.

Not a particular fan of the original but:

Not only did they completely change the mood/feeling of the song, they changed the fudging title too.

That's for financial or permission reasons - it's either too expensive to get them or the original artist won't allow it for reasons of integrity. A cover by a z-lister is much cheaper to use and the songwriter often can't do anything to stop it.

The worst I can remember of this was when Shed Seven refused The Link permission to use a song of theirs (Speakeasy) on an advert. So The Link just colluded with the band's old record label to get someone to impersonate (not even cover) them, changing the words into a jingle about the product.

Why not work with an up and coming hand. Show some originality, plug the band's song & help their path to success. The same tactic that should be used for call hold music. Not just be lazy and select a known tune that the advert ruins.

There was a trend for a while for getting some cretin with an insipid, nothing of a voice to "sing" the background cover track for pretty much every advert, mercifully that seems to have gone away a little.

Back