• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup QF - Argentina vs Belgium

If Belgium can play like they did tonight, then it's Belgium who will progress to the Semi Final.

both sides going to extra time in the round previous - gonna be some tired legs out there towards the end

Belgium are going to struggle with Messi. Not exactly bursting with pace at the back. Vertonghen against Di Maria, oh my.

Belgium won't be able to play like the did against USA.
Argentina are favourites for me and I fancy them to progress in rather boring match.

BrmjNOaIEAAJQ8U.jpg

Funny how the match commentator jinxed the Mexico and Nigeria goalies. He was commentating how the Mexican goalie was one of the best in the tournament and immediately he conceded 2 goals and Mexico went out. He said similar things about the Nigeria goalie and he conceded instantly as well.

Won't mind if the Belgium goalie get jinxed like that as well. Those macarons of Argentina are playing as if they have no intention of winning this WC. They will need all the help they can get against Belgium. If Messi don't win this WC, he won't be ever fit to tie Maradona's boot laces.

Courtois
Vertonghen
Kompany
Garay
Zabaleta
Mascherano
Hazard
Gago
Messi
Di Maria
Higuain

I make it 7-4 in favour of Argentina.

I don't think either team has really clicked into place when going forward so far. Probably both will look to be solid first and look for inspiration from individuals when attacking. Could very well be a nervy, tight, low scoring game - of course I hope I'm wrong.

Isn't it true that Messi has a hopeless record against Courtois?

Argentina are a real conundrum; they certainly produce more world class players than England but since 1990 both teams have had fairly similar records imo.
It's nearly 30 years since Atgentina won it and since 1990 they haven't gone further than the quarter final. In fact they've choked a fair few times imo: 1998 (last-minute winner vs Netherlands), 2006 (late equaliser vs Germany before losing on penalties, they simply tried to coast after taking the lead) and 2010 (perhaps this is harsh as Maradona wasn't the best at setting them up in a balanced way imo and they were defensively wide-open).

Generally since i've watched football they have seemed to always opt for what some may call the 'AVB approach': i.e. do the minium neccesary to win a game. They have had several teams which contained great strikers and attacking midfielders. I have to say the 2006 team was probably the best and most balanced they have had since 1986 and the common mentality of scoring once and holding on thereafter came back to bite them in the butt again on that occasion.
Even now, they are generally just playing a minimalistic game and relying on Messi. Higuain and Lavezzi seem like passengers just leaving it all to Messi. Though it has to be said that their current defence is worse than the previous ones they've had so that may be a factor tbf.

I also think they seem to concentrate much more on cynical play than others, but perhaps some might beg to differ on that on...

To anyone who follows Argentinian/South American football closely, can I ask, why do Argentina seem to
a) be so overly cynical (when compared to many others, even in S America)
b) choke so often at World Cups
c) opt for the minimum approach to winning (e.g. take away the 6-0 Serbia win in 2006 and the 5-0 Win against 10-man Jamaica in 1998, how many games have they played in where they have excited by scoring more than twice, i.e. put on a show for neutrals)?

If Belgium can get their decision making going forward to be ace, i can see them wiping the floor with Argentina...

Messi and Argentina better step up their game against Belgium. They simply cannot afford to treat Belgium lightly.

ARG team: Romero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Basanta, Biglia, Mascherano, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain.

BEL team: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Mirallas, Hazard, Origi.

Back