• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group B - Australia, Chile, Netherlands, Spain

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Australia and Chile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia and Netherlands

• Australia and Spain

• Chile and Netherlands

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Chile and Spain

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Netherlands and Spain

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just came on here to say...told you so...I could see it coming, Spain knocked out in the Group Stages.

A shame for Iniesta & Xavi..otherwise :ross: they had their time in the stars, now it's their time in the gutter!!

Just came on here to say...told you so...I could see it coming, Spain knocked out in the Group Stages.

A shame for Iniesta & Xavi..otherwise :ross: they had their time in the stars, now it's their time in the gutter!!

Why is it more of a shame for them than anyone else? Because they are more "likeable" than say Ramos or Busquets? Still doesn't change the fact that they were both **** and deserved to go out. They have also won the WC before, so no shame at all.

Last time Spain had everyone else chasing shadows as they knocked it around, now they can't deal with being put under pressure.

I wasn't even shocked last night....Chile beat Spain in 2010 as well. Once Holland thrashed Spain that was it for them and they knew it

Last time Spain had everyone else chasing shadows as they knocked it around, now they can't deal with being put under pressure.

The downfall of Spain this World Cup and the problems at Barca in the last couple of seasons might just be highlighting how good Xavi really was and how important he was for both those teams at his peak.

Will be interesting to see what Barca do to try to replace him. Obviously they didn't think Fabregas could be that player, not convinced they see Rakitic at that level either. They might be forced into a slight change in style if he's not replaceable.

The downfall of Spain this World Cup and the problems at Barca in the last couple of seasons might just be highlighting how good Xavi really was and how important he was for both those teams at his peak.

Will be interesting to see what Barca do to try to replace him. Obviously they didn't think Fabregas could be that player, not convinced they see Rakitic at that level either. They might be forced into a slight change in style if he's not replaceable.

I think changing the style is exactly what they will do. Fabregas gone, Xavi will go, no more Puyol. They need to change and Rakitic offers something different already, more direct. A new goalie this coming season, I don't know much about ter Stegen's style compared to Valdes but they are also linked in L'equipe to the Chile keeper. They need to find a way of having Messi and Neymar working together, and maybe use Sanchez a bit more.

Still amazes me that they let Thiago slip through their grasp, had all the ability and the attributes that are required to fully flourish in that position. Perhaps now that Iniesta is getting on a bit they may consider deploying him in a less physically demanding role and have him in the in the deep-lying playmaker position.

As for a change of style, that may very well be the case when you consider that they are apparently strongly interested in Higuain. The signing of Higuain would possibly mean Messi would no longer be played as a false no.9 role as Higuain does not have the game to play on the flanks. Perhaps they are looking at a 4-2-3-1 formation next season? Something a little like this:

---------------Higuain----------

Neymar--------Messi-------Rakitic/Delefeou/Sanchez

----------Busquets-----Iniesta/Rakitic

is it down to players or is it that tiki taka has been found out? holland played the ball behind the defence and the quick counter. chile was both fit and space-aware to close down the options. maybe by next year we'll go back to the W-M formation :)

is it down to players or is it that tiki taka has been found out? holland played the ball behind the defence and the quick counter. chile was both fit and space-aware to close down the options. maybe by next year we'll go back to the W-M formation :)

players are a bit older (so probably not quite as good), and opponents probably cope with the spanish-style better than previously. but at the end of the day, spain have only lost 2 games, to 2 very decent sides. spain still got to the final of the confederations cup only last year in brazil. and although spain were evidently not great in these two games, i think its a bit too early to say its the end of an era, or the end of tiki taka etc etc. if another worldcup was starting tomorrow, spain would still be one of the big favorites.

I'm really intrigued to see how Iniesta plays without Xavi alongside him. For the past 5 years the answer to 'who is the best midfielder in the world?' has been Xavi-Iniesta.

It is like when you have two dogs, and the older is put down, how does the younger dog react to losing someone that has been alongside them their whole life.

players are a bit older (so probably not quite as good), and opponents probably cope with the spanish-style better than previously. but at the end of the day, spain have only lost 2 games, to 2 very decent sides. spain still got to the final of the confederations cup only last year in brazil. and although spain were evidently not great in these two games, i think its a bit too early to say its the end of an era, or the end of tiki taka etc etc. if another worldcup was starting tomorrow, spain would still be one of the big favorites.

I understand about not getting carried away, but this could possibly be the beginning of the end

BquiFRPCIAEjqPr.png

Back